3bb download speed capped/limited/degraded ?

orang37

Normally, I get multi-megabyte/sec downloads for a torrent with many seeders/peers.

Last 24 hrs., it's crawling along.

All the folks at home because of Covid with nothing else to do but download ? Capped by 3bb ? Demonic infestation ?

Chiang Mai. Low cost 3bb monthly plan: Win 10/64, qBittorrent, with or without VPN.

thanks, ~o:37;

Some 10 years ago, 3BB had the best international bandwidth of any of the Internet providers in Thailand, which in turn made it the best provider overall. However, over the past few years, this has changed dramatically, and I now feel that their international traffic is in the lowest tier of the group. Not happy about it at all, which is why I use AIS most of the time now. I have 3BB, True, and AIS, all fiber, and regularly compare their performance. It is not always a simple comparison, because local router congestion can confuse the matter. But overall, AIS performs the best with general usage.

• Like 1

Phetchabun..... 3BB gigabyte package, best internet ever. Never less than 930 Mbps and never drops and never goes down. Before that 3BB broadband, again, best broadband connection i've ever had.

Guess its the district, though, i get my connection from Nakhon Sawan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carlosm said:

Phetchabun..... 3BB gigabyte package, best internet ever. Never less than 930 Mbps and never drops and never goes down. Before that 3BB broadband, again, best broadband connection i've ever had.

Guess its the district, though, i get my connection from Nakhon Sawan.

you must be in the 3bb building lol

I was a bit disappointed with 3BB. After experiencing some buffering, I did a speed test which established that at times, I was getting between 8 & 12 mbps - my package is 100/100.

I called 3bb and was told that 100mbps is only available on 5g compatible devices........grrrrrrr

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I was a bit disappointed with 3BB. After experiencing some buffering, I did a speed test which established that at times, I was getting between 8 & 12 mbps - my package is 100/100.

I called 3bb and was told that 100mbps is only available on 5g compatible devices........grrrrrrr

So you change to a cheaper package and save money.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Same me , I pay 3bb for their 1gb but only get 80 mbps at best , they say my equipment no good after about 10 visits to my house

Likewise, AIS engineers said my digi box was not 5G rated, 

Should I ask to change back to my old fibre, where I had far less problems ? or continue blaming my IPTV provider for poor service ?

Either way the buffering has been terrible and even worse this last month or so. It does ask the question,is Thailand throttling back on International speeds.

• Like 1

Recently switched from sinet (v good service) to 3BB to get gigabit internet-realising that I wouldnt even get close to that speed on my devices. But I do get 600mbps download on my phone and only about 90mbps on my laptop  (HP g148dx) using ethernet, and far less using wifi.

I dont think I can fix the download speed by upgrading my laptop components (?) but will need to invest in a new laptop .  After attempting to find out on google what spec elements are critical to achieving higher download speeds  on a newer laptop I am none the wiser. Any thoughts or suggestions very welcome please from you technical wizards out there.

Also my new 3BB signal drops multiple times a day and a call to their helpline 2 days back improved it after they did something at their end and I turned the router off for a few minutes after - it still drops but less frequently. They described the problem as an unstable connection (?) which I never experienced in 3 years with Sinet. Maybe a dodgy installation.Dunno.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, beau thai said:

Recently switched from sinet (v good service) to 3BB to get gigabit internet-realising that I wouldnt even get close to that speed on my devices. But I do get 600mbps download on my phone and only about 90mbps on my laptop  (HP g148dx) using ethernet, and far less using wifi.

I dont think I can fix the download speed by upgrading my laptop components (?) but will need to invest in a new laptop .  After attempting to find out on google what spec elements are critical to achieving higher download speeds  on a newer laptop I am none the wiser. Any thoughts or suggestions very welcome please from you technical wizards out there.

Also my new 3BB signal drops multiple times a day and a call to their helpline 2 days back improved it after they did something at their end and I turned the router off for a few minutes after - it still drops but less frequently. They described the problem as an unstable connection (?) which I never experienced in 3 years with Sinet. Maybe a dodgy installation.Dunno.

Your laptop should be fine, get a decent cat5e or cat6 cable so you can connect it by gigabit. 90mbps means you are on 100mbps connection because of an old ethernet cable.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, beau thai said:

According to the HP site your Ethernet connection is, Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN. 90 mbps is about all your going to get. It looks like you have a USB 3.0 port so you could get an adapter to get the gig speed you want. Just search for a USB 3.0 network adapter. 

On 12/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, muratremix said:

Your laptop should be fine, get a decent cat5e or cat6 cable so you can connect it by gigabit. 90mbps means you are on 100mbps connection because of an old ethernet cable.

I am using a brand new Cat 8 cable. That is not the problem

On 12/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, superal said:

Same me , I pay 3bb for their 1gb but only get 80 mbps at best , they say my equipment no good after about 10 visits to my house

Do 3BB not supply you with a router which gives out 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi signals?

WiFi is always slower than if you connect a PC directly via ethernet cable. 

Try mounting your router on a wall, and put a piece of aluminium foil behind it to reflect the WiFi signal in only one direction.....towards you!

• Thanks 1

I am not 100% sure what is going on but in the last few days the connection seem to be quite slow

of course when you do a speedtest it connects to a location 50km away from you and you get your full package (1000/300 in my case) because it's the connection to that server WITHIN Thailand..

these test means absolutely nothing as the internet is not only in Thailand

i actually came on here to see if someone else was having issues and.. this confirms i'm not alone.

somethings up.

• Like 1

Being pedantic....no, being correct about things, it is 1000 Mb/s (capital M) which means MEGA = times a million.

A small m means milli (one thousanth as in millimetre, millilitre)

Also confused many times is MB and Mb, megabyte or mega bits.

Internet or streaming speeds are usually quoted in Mega or Giga BITS/SEC whereas storage usually uses MB or GB = BYTES.

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Do 3BB not supply you with a router which gives out 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi signals?

WiFi is always slower than if you connect a PC directly via ethernet cable. 

Try mounting your router on a wall, and put a piece of aluminium foil behind it to reflect the WiFi signal in only one direction.....towards you!

I connect via a lan cable . 

On 12/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, superal said:

So how do we know if our laptop or TV are capable of using 1 gb or maybe only 90 mbps ? 

The main reason I went for the 1 gb was I was hoping there would be less buffering or freezing on my iptv programmes  by way of a wider bandwidth .