Up to SEVEN million foreign tourists will visit Thailand next year, says leading Thai bank

webfact

4 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:
'What they called a LOW estimate was because of uncertainties surrounding the pandemic and vaccines.'
Uncertainty!  Due to the number of vaccines still awaiting approval, and the time taken to distribute and give the vaccine to millions of people -- and the uncertainty of future employment and unemployment --  it's more than uncertainty!

'They called for greater clarity abroad about Thailand so that foreigners get the right information.'
Right Information: No visas on arrival; 2-week compulsory quarantine; covid test before flying; fit to fly approval; high medical insurance to be taken out by a Thai insurance company; a very high Baht; nothing open; a military-style undemocratic Government; demonstrations against the Government; etc.  I think foreigners get the right information!

I  think I'll close down my Kasikorn account and move to another bank -- if their 'brains' come out with garbage like this my money isn't safe with them!

Yes you should do that straight away.

Not while the idiotic restrictions and requirements and I know many will NOT pay for second rate quarantine hotels , they really think TOURISTS are as stupid as they are . plus the BAHT is still too strong, but those that have it do not care in Thailand 

• Like 1

I know I sound like a broken record here, but...

Domestic air travel in both the US & Europe is at best 50% of 2019 levels.

Why would removing Thai restrictions in any way incentivize those folks that are fearful of getting on a 1-2 hour domestic flight make them want to think; 'Oh yeah lets spent 10-12 hours on a flight to Thailand'

When I see at my station domestic flights creeping back up to 70-80%, then look to a rebound in long haul tourists.

There is a reason that most airlines have all their widebody aircraft parked up in the desert. There just is no demand.

Sexpats and retiree's with families in Thailand don't equate to a tourist industry.

Until the average family feels safe and want's to return this is a pointless discussion

To confirm my point I just got our schedule for this morning. Our first flight out to Denver is an A319, capacity 120. We have booked 57. This is a flight which in normal times would have been full

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 3.09.03 AM.png

Edited by GinBoy2

I think someone has just bought a new scientific hand calculator and just didn't get the hang of the notation, you know, the estimate was originally 7 x 101 and instead just liked the look of 7 x 106. Seriously though, how many people will get a bank loan, or loan shark, thinking they'll pay it all back with ease, based on this kind of rubbish.

"And a 14 day quarantine with all the hoops and expenses that entails remains in place with no change on the horizon despite repeated calls from many business groups in the sector."

This never ending list of predicted tourist figures goes on and on and on.

It's been said many times before on here that to get tourists back here in substantial numbers there will need to be no quarantine, whixch personally I think would be a recipe for disaster for the health of the country.

The stark reality is that most people only come here on holiday for 3 weeks at a time, due to their gross holiday entitlement being 5 weeks (In the UK that is the maximum time off work at one time that most employers will allow in one period, and I believe that the USA  have an even lower holiday entitlement.)

To spend 2 weeks in quarantine  leaving one week for "holidaying proper" is not something that your average tourist wants to do, and to have to PAY for it is totally unacceptable - at the very least, if they want tourists to return, the cost of quarantine should at least be free.  There are many other options open for travellers with far less expense and hassle, but TAT keep hoping in vain for some kind of miracle to change the world's opinion. After all it is the month that the famous "star appeared in the East" - perhaps they could use that as another one of their  "gimmicks"? 

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Just who I ask when wanting to know future tourist numbers.

Was it from a bank manager, or one of the motorbike taxi guys waiting outside?

wishful thinking.

the thai government has established a system atthe airportto conduct the checking of paper , van operation to quarantine, and approved ASQ..

there is no way the government will change these rules. So opening the country with these rules which was never proven effective , it will not attract any visitors.

The selling amenity of thailand to tourists is that it is a cheap place to visit and quick in and out. It was also a place for people working in china not on a consistent basis.

It all  comes to money.. It is no longer cheap to visit thailand and no foreigner would want to locked in for 14 days and pay for it.  If you pay impose quarantine on the tourists then the government should pay for it.

Also for the expat living in thailand.. they can't leave and come back either..Stuck in thailand too..

the days of moving around between countries is over..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

So many former Thais plan to get repatriated?

may be they are talking about Thai coming back to thailand not farang or tourists.

My friend came on a flight on Quatar.. they only allow every other seat. There were 30 returning Farangs and 170 returning Thais.. My friend took him a good 2hrs to clear the airport with all that paper work and wait for the ASQ van.. One person per van. There were a lot of soldiers and medical personnel running around the airport.. Nothing is open , he was usher to the hotel from the back door to his room. It costs him at least an additional $2000 beside his ticket. He is planning to stay more than 90 days

The government quarantine  rules is well in place and well implemented. There is no way that the government will change that any time soon next year.

They will kept some farang traffic coming to Thailand but no short term tourist will come over, including the 30 days stamp at the airport.

d

• Like 2

Just now, the green light said:

may be they are talking about Thai coming back to thailand not farang or tourists.

My friend came on a flight on Quatar.. they only allow every other seat. There were 30 returning Farangs and 170 returning Thais.. My friend took him a good 2hrs to clear the airport with all that paper work and wait for the ASQ van.. One person per van. There were a lot of soldiers and medical personnel running around the airport.. Nothing is open , he was usher to the hotel from the back door to his room. It costs him at least an additional $2000 beside his ticket. He is planning to stay more than 90 days

The government quarantine  rules is well in place and well implemented. There is no way that the government will change that any time soon next year.

They will see some farang traffic coming to Thailand but no short term tourist will come over, including the 30 days stamp at the airport.

8 hours ago, poskat said:

I'd like a double of what he is drinking please....

me too.. i love a good laugh..

May  be they ar smoking pot since you can grow it in your back yard.

the only people coming next year are the returning Thai and some farangs who have money and planning to spend a lot of time in thailand.

No short term tourist will come and no expat living in thailand will dare leaving and come back...or perphaps if they leave they may not be able to come back.

the quarantine system will stay in place for a good year.. there is not enough data of the vaccine to make any change in the rule.. besides when all the Thai people are vaccinated then they will change the rule

• Confused 1

Just now, the green light said:

me too.. i love a good laugh..

May  be they ar smoking pot since you can grow it in your back yard.

the only people coming next year are the returning Thai and some farangs who have money and planning to spend a lot of time in thailand.

No short term tourist will come and no expat living in thailand will dare leaving and come back...or perphaps if they leave they may not be able to come back.

the quarantine system will stay in place for a good year.. there is not enough data of the vaccine to make any change in the rule.. besides when all the Thai people are vaccinated then they will change the rule

looking at the number  7million visitors are equivalent to  580,000/month  

the government said they can handle 20,000 visitor a month  240,000 per year..

that is about 100 plane per month.. very few airlines are coming to thailand

The real number would be around 5000 people per month and most of them are RETURNING tHAI.