Koh Samet - worth it ? Where and how

moogradod

We are based in Pattaya and seek a short break on a nearby island. In the past we went to Koh Chang - but our hotel there does not bother to give significant discounts even in this troubled times - so I do not feel good even if the price is actually not our first concern.

So we would like to try Koh Samet for some 10 days or so instead and seek advice from anybody who has been there.

1. Worth it ? Or better stay with Koh Chang ?

2. Really good restaurants ? Koh Chang has some (or actually one really good one)

3. Accomodation with very good breakfast and nice swimming pool ?

4. Recommended beaches ? (fine and clean sand, no stones, clean water)

Looking for rather upscale places than a backpacker hut. Those are things of the past. Consulted Tripadvisor but some entries are outdated.

We would go by taxi since you obviously cannot bring the car to the island.

Any hints very welcome and Thanks in advance.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, John435 said:

But for Samet, Ao Prao has the best hotels without paying silly money. And four restaurants. Easy to explore the rest of the island from there via taxi or walking.

Thanks a lot.

Four restaurants does not really sound promising. Then these are probably 2 seafood restaurants, one Thai restaurant and one burger shop ????. The island seems to be very small, overall there might be more possibilities - but you are right - maybe not the right choice for us compared to Koh Chang. A pity since the beaches seem to be very nice.

• Haha 1

Wongduen resort on ko samet excellent, been going there for 30 years first with children then with grandchildren. Lovely sand and clear water. However if you want truly sparkling clear water and snorkeling around the rocks walk over the headland to the next beach, going south, resorts there not so good to stay but OK for lunch. Then back to the cosseted luxury of Wong duen resort and a cleansing swim in their private pool. This sounds like an advert but it definitely is not. We just love ko samet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thank you all for the many suggestions. We will check everything further. We are based in South Pattaya, actually on Sattahip soil. We could therefore easily travel to Samet with a taxi. Koh Chang with our own car as we did before. What makes Samet interesting are the nice beaches. But exeptional food is definitely a concern. On Koh Chang there is one (single) restaurant which alone makes the trip worthwile. Our daughter is 20 years old and attending school, we might travel alone there and then stay away as far as we can from any shrieking youngsters ????

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Definitely.  I think the nicest place on the island.

We stopped going to White Sands beach due to the noise.  Hearing "thump, thump, thump" well into the early hours was no fun.

Maybe that's changed?  I quit going because of this many years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Hearing "thump, thump, thump" well into the early hours was no fun.

Exactly. The thumping just comes as a close second after the shrieking on my "annoying" list. My wife is immune to such things. There are places further down south on Koh Chang which are quiet - White beach would not be our choice either.

Edited by moogradod
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thanks a lot.

Four restaurants does not really sound promising. Then these are probably 2 seafood restaurants, one Thai restaurant and one burger shop ????. The island seems to be very small, overall there might be more possibilities - but you are right - maybe not the right choice for us compared to Koh Chang. A pity since the beaches seem to be very nice.

If you like beaches that look like sewer, go to Koh Chang. So funny how overrated this island is when it is ugly compared to southern island and to Samet.

Samet is the only and only one island in Thailand that is not located in the south but still look nice like southern islands.

And actually luckily many people who know nothing waste their time on Koh chang.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, moogradod said:

But exeptional food is definitely a concern. On Koh Chang there is one (single) restaurant which alone makes the trip worthwile.

I can't stop laughing. You must be Thai to think that any restaurant is worth even noticing.

How ridiculous.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:
38 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Definitely.  I think the nicest place on the island.

We stopped going to White Sands beach due to the noise.  Hearing "thump, thump, thump" well into the early hours was no fun.

Valid point.

There are some beach bars closer to SKBR which play music etc and there’s a crappy nightclub at Sai Keaw beach which could get loud.

I’ve never really noticed the noise - but agree, noise could be an issue, though most of the loud places seem to have closed down. 

The Premier Rooms at SKBR have decent noise insulation so I never really noticed any noise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, solafr said:

I can't stop laughing. You must be Thai to think that any restaurant is worth even noticing.

How ridiculous.

With all due respect - what a BS.

There are now 13 posters on my ignore list. Most of them did qualify because of their demonstration of extraordinary lack of compassion for others. Just recently a new small group emerged: The Trump supporters (qualification therefore inherently included). But some easily amused posters might soon be catching up.

Please be therefore invited to the party as well ! And have a hearty laugh alltogether !

• Haha 1

Just now, moogradod said:

With all due respect - what a BS.

There are now 13 posters on my ignore list. Most of them did qualify because of their demonstration of extraordinary lack of compassion for others. Just recently a new small group emerged: The Trump supporters (qualification therefore inherently included). But some easily amused posters might soon be catching up.

Please be therefore invited to the party as well ! And have a hearty laugh alltogether !

Great for you and keep dreaming your life with amazing restaurants ❤️

you are so lucky to live a dream life as this one !

8 minutes ago, solafr said:

If you like beaches that look like sewer, go to Koh Chang. So funny how overrated this island is when it is ugly compared to southern island and to Samet.

Samet is the only and only one island in Thailand that is not located in the south but still look nice like southern islands.

And actually luckily many people who know nothing waste their time on Koh chang.

BS.  My fav beach is Kai Bae.  Hardly a sewer.  And definitely not over rated.  I just had a beach front bungalow for a bit over 2k/night.  Right on the sand.  Private bungalow.  Stunning.

123958147_697738567830303_8605877940528744752_n.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Great, but the resort I and RSmith mentioned is on Koh Samet not White Sands Chang.  Very quiet from my experience the only "thump" noise was coming from my room.  ????

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Great, but the resort I and RSmith mentioned is on Koh Samet not White Sands Chang.  Very quiet from my experience the only "thump" noise was coming from my room.  ????

Both islands have a White Sands beach. Sai Kaew.

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Best to avoid the weekends/public holidays on Koh Samet, otherwise a good place to visit. Personally I don't go there anymore because I have memories of the island when it was an almost deserted paradise.

Agreed.  My first visit was 2002.  And even then, it was crowded!  I quit going a few years later.  Too many other beautiful islands here to explore.

We're just back from Koh Mak and it was stunning.

Sounds like I may have underestimated Koh Samet by the comments. I'll have to check it out along with Koh Mak.  White Sand Beach is for mine the best beach because it's nice and long, has the nice trees to sit under, and has a bit of a wave in low season so you can have some fun. I get a bit bored with the flat water. The part of White Sand Beach to the north is really pretty. I do agree the town itself is average and strangely, given it is the biggest town, it has few good places to eat. Outside Kacha at night there is a night market with pretty good food if your happy with some simple food from time to time that we find to be clean and appetising.

I have never found the town noisy at night - it may be that it is at either end where there are some bars but at Kacha you'll just hear the odd frog. Lonely beach can get noisy with all those pesky youngsters and their parties.

I don't know what solafr is trying to say. There are some really good restaurants on Koh Chang with beautiful outlooks so what's not to like.

Khlong Prou is mostly good too. In some ways it is nicer than White Sands Beach. There are some parts that get a bit dirty and smelly near the lagoon. 

I am in Australia now so it will be a while till I'm back.

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Sounds like I may have underestimated Koh Samet by the comments. I'll have to check it out along with Koh Mak.  White Sand Beach is for mine the best beach because it's nice and long, has the nice trees to sit under, and has a bit of a wave in low season so you can have some fun. I get a bit bored with the flat water. The part of White Sand Beach to the north is really pretty. I do agree the town itself is average and strangely, given it is the biggest town, it has few good places to eat. Outside Kacha at night there is a night market with pretty good food if your happy with some simple food from time to time that we find to be clean and appetising.

I have never found the town noisy at night - it may be that it is at either end where there are some bars but at Kacha you'll just hear the odd frog. Lonely beach can get noisy with all those pesky youngsters and their parties.

I don't know what solafr is trying to say. There are some really good restaurants on Koh Chang with beautiful outlooks so what's not to like.

Khlong Prou is mostly good too. In some ways it is nicer than White Sands Beach. There are some parts that get a bit dirty and smelly near the lagoon. 

I am in Australia now so it will be a while till I'm back.

White Sands on KC is a bit too busy for me now.  Same with Samet.  We're enjoying Kai Bae now.  Much more quiet and seems to be very clear water.  Koh Mak and Koh Kut are stunning with regards to that.

Hopefully, we'll visit Samet soon.  Mid week to avoid the crowds! 5555

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

White Sands on KC is a bit too busy for me now.  Same with Samet.  We're enjoying Kai Bae now.  Much more quiet and seems to be very clear water.  Koh Mak and Koh Kut are stunning with regards to that.

Hopefully, we'll visit Samet soon.  Mid week to avoid the crowds! 5555

I must admit the last few trips I have stayed at Kacha at White Sand Beach and  Sea view in Kae Bae and it is nice. Best thing about Koh Chang in my opinion is the huge hills and forest that you can see from the beaches. 

• Like 1