Pattaya: 228 baht for a "kapao kai"! Shop asks for understanding - my customers are foreigners!

webfact

On 12/10/2020 at 5:18 AM, Mops59 said:

The seller should be charges with fraud and scam for his action. He needs to be aware of the consequences.  This customer pays this price once and will never return. He is worse of.

But the government is doing the same with the dual price system for national parks. So the message is take as much as you can from the tourist. Disgusting attitude.

It was no double pricing: the complaint came, after he charged a Thai the same price as his other customers !

That „Mr. 99 Seafood“ is there since years and had before Covid mainly (Farang) tourists. It’s directly at the Beach Road with seaview and compared to some Phuket restaurants in comparable location not even overpriced.

If now the Thai cheap charlies are making their government funded holidays, then going to such a restaurant, do not read the menu, just order and expect the same price as at the rot khen in Nakorn Esarn-Endoftheworld ... well ! Add in to that: going to a seafood restaurant, but ordering krapao kai with khai - chicken with egg. 555

It is also neglecting some facts, business owners have to compensate, when doing business in such locations:

- exaggerated rents (from landlords, mostly of the „influential“ type)

- high „fees“ -those without invoice- to certain institutions 

On 12/11/2020 at 7:41 AM, Bruno123 said:

https://web.facebook.com/นนท์-ซีฟู๊ด-non-seafood-296146837769325/?_rdc=1&_rdr

Bricks and mortar. Seaview.

Khao phad poo 50 baht

Khao phad talay 50 baht

Phad kraprao gung 100 to 120 baht 

Total bill with drinks 240 baht

1355124236_nonseafood.thumb.JPG.36cf62c2216a313533213c2d5bb98cd5.JPG

Minced chicken with an egg on top for 229 baht is a travesty.

Got the breakdown wrong.

Khao phad poo(crab) 60 baht

Khao phad talay(prawns & squid) 60 baht

Phad kraprao gung(prawns) 100 baht 

Total bill with drinks for two: 240 baht.

The average thai probably doesn't look at the menu, just order "kapao kai" and would never imagine being charged 228 baht.    
It is comforting to know thais are also victims of excessive pricing (although this location maybe necessitates charging these prices to compensate for rents??) think airport pricing.

For me, if I am starving to death, the last place I drop into is a large restaurant in a major tourist area, especially if it's a glap baan.  Just pick one up from 7-11.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 5:51 AM, Lacrimas said:

Exactly the reason why you should forget about living in Pattaya with less than 50k a month. If you don't have a lot of money stay away from tourist areas.

You can live comfortable in Pattaya for 30k a month,  plenty of cheap places to eat in Pattaya/Jomtien.
I paid 10k in rent and did not waste money on girls every week.  30k is no problem. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 1:14 PM, Leaver said:

Why do you say that?

If his rent is hundreds of thousands of baht a month, it must be passed onto the consumer.  Whether the price point meets the market is a different question.   

The greed is from the Thai landlords who have pushed rents up to the point they have exceeded what the market is willing to pay for F & B here.  We saw this last high season, pre covid, with a dead high season.   They have slowly outpriced Pattaya in Thailand, and in the region, for a value for money holiday.  

Simple he does it because his customers are farang.

If his rent..pffff. if my sister was male she would be my brother.

• Haha 1

It is people like him there give Thailand a bad reputation among tourist and foreigners in general.  Unfortunately, he is not alone. Dual pricing system is not uncommon. There was a lot of talk from officials that it should stop.  But …………

• Confused 1

On 12/19/2020 at 3:55 PM, sitanonchai said:

Simple he does it because his customers are farang.

The customer was Thai in this case.  If you are suggesting dual pricing, that wasn't the case.

On 12/19/2020 at 3:55 PM, sitanonchai said:

If his rent..pffff. if my sister was male she would be my brother.

Well, Pattaya has something for everyone, even your sister, your brother, and your ladyboy, who can also double as your brother and sister.  ????

On 12/19/2020 at 5:59 PM, Misab said:

It is people like him there give Thailand a bad reputation among tourist and foreigners in general.  Unfortunately, he is not alone. Dual pricing system is not uncommon. There was a lot of talk from officials that it should stop.  But …………

How is it dual pricing when he charged a Thai the same high price as being charged to foreigners?  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2020 at 11:51 AM, Lacrimas said:

Exactly the reason why you should forget about living in Pattaya with less than 50k a month. If you don't have a lot of money stay away from tourist areas.

hold on a sec, are you not the one that keeps harping on about there being no tourists?

Which is it?

On 12/11/2020 at 10:42 AM, LukKrueng said:

I ain't no Mr perfect, but try to read the op again, go slowly this time, try word by word maybe? 

The person complaining about the price was Thai, not farang. The menu shows only 1 price per item, therefore whoever orders a dish get charged the same amount hence NO DUAL PRICING. 

Is it expensive for such a dish? Maybe. Is there any discrimination between customers of different nationalities? No! 

When you go to a restaurant, you look at the menu, see what food they serve and how much they charge, then its UP TO YOU if you're willing to eat and pay that price or just walk out and look for a cheaper place.

It's also your own choice to feel being screwed all the time for being a farang yet stay here in Thailand. 

No need to get your knickers in such a twist nd post such a long screed trying to defend yourself.  And well done for your fantasy that I feel 'screwed all the time ... yet stay here in Thailand'.

How on earth could you come to that conclusion unless you imagined it and decided because you thought it, it must be true?  You can have no idea what goes through another person's head so all you are spouting is self-serving tosh.

I am in my 17th year here, have  occasionally been diddled in my first few months, but I have enough brain not to have it happen regularly because Thais are so simplistic it's dead easy to read the signs.  Maybe you could learn from that ...

On 12/22/2020 at 9:33 PM, Mister Fixit said:

I am in my 17th year here, have  occasionally been diddled in my first few months, but I have enough brain not to have it happen regularly because Thais are so simplistic it's dead easy to read the signs. 

You got diddled in your first few months, but smart enough that it doesn't happen to you regularly.  Sounds like it's still happening.

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

You got diddled in your first few months, but smart enough that it doesn't happen to you regularly.  Sounds like it's still happening.

Inclined to suggest one is living in a bubble if not subjected to the odd example of a 'diddle' .... every now and again, even after many years. I still got that dumb falang look,  and they still got the ability to get away with it unscathed. 

On 12/11/2020 at 4:24 AM, johnarth said:

the price of the food was there, plus clean plats and eating utensils, clean table and a chair to sit on etc. etc. the owner just said the wrong thing thinking that meant the end of it, as it normally would have, and yes the government has a lot to learn like was said before

"chair to sit on"? What? That must be a five star joint, mate. 229 baht is readily understandable. Cheers. Chairs to sit on, really?

• Haha 1

The price is obviously a tourist price. Even allowing for the restaurant overheads. (Roughly $11 Australian dollars.) 

In Australia that same dish is about $20. When considering the higher overheads in Australia with junior workers on a minimum of $15/hr (approx 300 baht) and adults on about $20/hr(approx 400 baht)  I would think that particular Thai Restaurant, which I have passed many times but haven't eaten in, is a little over priced.