Pattaya: 228 baht for a "kapao kai"! Shop asks for understanding - my customers are foreigners!

webfact

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is a restaurant, the price is in the menu. What are you ^^^ guys moaning about. Don't eat there if you don't want to pay the price.

It also said "mostly" so that means he has Thai customers who pay the price on the menu too.

Yes the thais that pay that price pay it with a farangs money ????

• Like 1

The price wouldn't exist if nobody paid it. Some blame for outrageous prices sits with the 2 week millionaires who pay it.

If some good is to come out of covid and no tourists, its the fact that the stupid prices will disappear.

• Like 1

If a for profit business is well run it should charge for its goods and services whatever prices (complying with local rules and regulations) that maximise said profit.

If a potential customer does not think that he gets value for money, then he can go somewhere else; that's certainly what I do. However, several things can make a relatively high price acceptable, such as location and ambience, and quality of food and service. Of course, if it turns out that the food and service are not on par with the price, then it may be appropriate to call it a "rip off".

11 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

Quadruple pricing for foreigners - again.

Its not foreigner pricing or even dual pricing if the Thai guy in the OP paid the same price.

The guy has a fixed and advertised price for any customer, Foreigners "choose" to pay the price, as do some Thais

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

You just did. 
No mention of “farang price”.

Foreign tourists. And Thais pay the same price there. No dual pricing. 

Foreigners require bigger serves, better cutlery and rent on beach road Pattaya isn’t cheap. 

Um, try Googling what do Thai's call foreigners and this is what you will come up with, regardless if I said the word farang, 6, 2, 1, half dozen the other !

Whether it's said by a waitress in a restaurant, by a stranger on the street or by a colleague in a place of work, there's no avoiding it – if you're a white tourist, you'll be called a farang – the Thai word for foreigner.Oct 1, 2017

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I've seen 2 menu's in a restaurant one for farang and one for Thai with a price difference 

not long ago took a lady friend out for dinner, arrived at the restaurant she step down and went inside and got a menu, I proceeded with parking the car, once done went to the restaurant and was handed a menu that had a completely different pricing then my friend, didn't argue or say anything, just asked her to look and she did, then we agreed to walk out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:
8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can't make this stuff up, farang price.....lol

The complaining customer is Thai. So it's not a farang price, just an expensive restaurant. 

Regardless, did you read the heading ?

Pattaya: 228 baht for a "kapao kai"! Shop asks for understanding - my customers are foreigners!

Whether it's said by a waitress in a restaurant, by a stranger on the street or by a colleague in a place of work, there's no avoiding it – if you're a white tourist, you'll be called a farang – the Thai word for foreigner.Oct 1, 2017

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Qualibus said:
8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can't make this stuff up, farang price.....lol

Seems that you can make it up, you just did it.  You suggest that there was a lower price for Thai customers and that sure wasn't reported as being the case as the only price was the one shown on the menu.

Read the post above the one above.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

If the menu is clearly marked with the price then there is no comeback on that...except if the meal itself is faulty in some way. I often have กะเพราหมูสับ at a local roadside 'restaurant' about 40-50 Baht (wall menu with prices). Not very often there is a small bone chip included but for that price and location I don't say anything. However, if I have the same at an inside restaurant with a/c, cushioned seating etc. it costs over twice as much (menu in English & Thai). But then their o/h and service will be a great deal more so the prices are bound to be much higher. In a tourist location I would expect it to be even more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Disgusting comment, there is no dual pricing and the price is in the menu. So there is no fraud or scam, just a racist comment.

Are you blind?  Did someone put your eyes out?  No dual pricing in Thailand?  Are you on the planet Zog?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

well anyone that pays that much for a fried basil chicken on rice w/egg is crazy in my opinion.  I go to a

restaurant at a local market, get quality food very fresh and area always clean.  The price - 35 baht without an

egg 40 with an egg, and even if they use shrimp or pork the price is still the same for farang (me) and locals. I

have yet to have had a better dish than this one.  I occasionally go to a RimPing  restaurant and it still is less

than half what this guy is charging and many many farangs eat there too and it is in a mall so the rent can't

be too cheap!  Just saying!

22 minutes ago, randy723 said:

go to pattaya and you get screwed more ways than one and that is why they call it sin city I love the north east where there are real Thai people Pattaya is not Thailand in my oppiion

Most Thai people in Pattaya are from Issan.

16 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Please Understand that the restaurant owner's only excuse is that most of his customers are foreigners. Everything else is irrelevant. This makes his behavior bad publicity both for his restaurant and for Thailand.

Most people look at the prices of food on menus before they order. The restaurant charges the same for all customers so it's above board with no double pricing. He wouldn't be charging those prices if he didn't have customers willing to pay it, and he must have a lot of Thai customers as tourists are few right now. If he can't get sales at his prices, he's the one to suffer apart from some people that don't look at prices before they order.

• Like 1