Pattaya: 228 baht for a "kapao kai"! Shop asks for understanding - my customers are foreigners!

webfact

He does more damage to all the other food vendors and just proved, that they did not learned anything from the pandemic.

I am wondering, if they not go at night to burn his restaurant down.

Further, it proves, that there are still too many rip off guys around.

I thought, Prayer said, he wanna do a crack down on all these cheaters.

Maybe, only got air, or he doesn't has the balls to do so.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

No its a lot better than "OK". You obviously don't have a taste for Thai food. I had the chicken masseman in there last week. You won't get better.

Tastes vary. I've had it multiple times there but I've had better. No need for insults.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Tastes vary. I've had it multiple times there but I've had better. No need for insults.

My wife was a chef in a Thai restaurant when we met. She rates it. The King's sister rates it too. I eat Thai food daily. I rate it. You don't rate it? I don't rate your palate.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, polpott said:

My wife was a chef in a Thai restaurant when we met. She rates it. The King's sister rates it too. I eat Thai food daily. I rate it. You don't rate it? I don't rate your palate.

Up to you. It's too freakin' sweet! Over the years I've heard from others that feel the same way. No need to reply.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bangsaenguy said:

The only reason to eat Thai food is the low price. I got bored with Thai food 20 years ago

That's a natural thing to happen. I'm bored with the usual range of dishes so I'm always looking for rarer to find ones. That said, pad krapow is a brilliant dish. But it's hard to find the "perfect" one to my taste. It often tastes of cheap oil. 

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Most people look at the prices of food on menus before they order. The restaurant charges the same for all customers so it's above board with no double pricing. He wouldn't be charging those prices if he didn't have customers willing to pay it, and he must have a lot of Thai customers as tourists are few right now. If he can't get sales at his prices, he's the one to suffer apart from some people that don't look at prices before they order.

So what? Do you agree that it is a bad answer or not?

Could have been a lot worse, like in many seafood places where the price listed is per 100g.  Order the fish expecting to pay 200 baht only to find out the fish weighed 1000 grams and it's 2000 baht.

If the prices are clearly marked on the menu -and you don't like the price- vote with your feet.  I'm pretty sure they can use the table space for folks willing to pay extra for good food, good service and a good view.

I'd be curious to see the exact wording he used to justify his pricing, though I wouldn't blame him for defusing a local customer's complaint by saying his prices are aimed at "foreigners".  More likely what he really meant was "tourists".  Because the vast majority of the tourists eating there were Thai people, at least on the weekends we ate there.  And that was long before Covid.

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is a restaurant, the price is in the menu. What are you ^^^ guys moaning about. Don't eat there if you don't want to pay the price.

It also said "mostly" so that means he has Thai customers who pay the price on the menu too.

Some can't read here. They are paranoid about  being tipped off. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Could have been a lot worse, like in many seafood places where the price listed is per 100g.  Order the fish expecting to pay 200 baht only to find out the fish weighed 1000 grams and it's 2000 baht.

If the prices are clearly marked on the menu -and you don't like the price- vote with your feet.  I'm pretty sure they can use the table space for folks willing to pay extra for good food, good service and a good view.

I'd be curious to see the exact wording he used to justify his pricing, though I wouldn't blame him for defusing a local customer's complaint by saying his prices are aimed at "foreigners".  More likely what he really meant was "tourists".  Because the vast majority of the tourists eating there were Thai people, at least on the weekends we ate there.  And that was long before Covid.

He has done nothing wrong at all!

200 baht for a meal in Pattaya is not excessive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, The Now Factor said:

i have to disagree with you mate,i've been to khao yai more than once each time my wife pays one rate myself another,near double.

Are you from Australia? I was charged $200 more for a game of golf there because I was a foreigner. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

That means 'where have you been?".  I expect you mean "ma dtae sai"

You're right, but that's my all-round ( joke) speech when I meet people in the village at our monthly visits i hadn't seen for a while. 

You see them with a cart- obviously coming back from their "Tungna" and it's always fun to see their reaction and a little chat. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I love Thai food, after nearly 2 decades here. What a strange comment.

People who want to live in Thailand, but "can't eat" Thai food are the usual suspects.

That's like being from Bavaria and not liking beer. I like Thai food and eating out is most of the time cheaper than cooking. 

If I'd pay 228 baht for such a meal, I'd see it as one more experience of my life. There's a menu card. 

All I can say is Som Nam Na.

But paying way more for some lady drinks ( with orange juice in it, or even cheaper) doesn't seem to be a problem for such people. 

Edited by teacherclaire

5 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Are you blind?  Did someone put your eyes out?  No dual pricing in Thailand?  Are you on the planet Zog?

Nobody said there's no dual pricing in Thailand. It's simply not the case in this restaurant/ article. This specific restaurant has 1 price for all, clearly displayed on the menu. The person that made the complaint is Thai. Learn to read (and understand) 

• Like 1

Prices are clearly marked as they found, it's not like you order then only find out at the end.

Even in the States many restaurants and venues in tourist areas charge a higher price for tourists, show a local ID and you get a discount.

I'm assuming there must be some law somewhere regulating prices or why would the authorities investigate menue prices?