Pattaya: 228 baht for a "kapao kai"! Shop asks for understanding - my customers are foreigners!

webfact

7 minutes ago, Kohkah said:

Not even a clever tourist goes into Mister 99 Seafood restaurant because prices are generally too high.

I wonder where he got his name Mister 99  from. Is that the price of a portion of steamed rice at his restaurant?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Robbie2618 said:

Prices are clearly marked as they found, it's not like you order then only find out at the end.

Even in the States many restaurants and venues in tourist areas charge a higher price for tourists, show a local ID and you get a discount.

I'm assuming there must be some law somewhere regulating prices or why would the authorities investigate menue prices? 

My mother used to have a hotel in Blackpool and when I used to go there any take away's or restaurants would give discounts if you are a local, 

14 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Then the complainant should learn to read before ordering or did they expect a discount because they believe only those pesky foreigners are charged the stated restaurant prices...

Well yes. And it is also amusing that the owner believes those pesky foreigners should be charged these higher prices, and uses it as an argument when called out. I must take more care when reading menus......

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well yes. And it is also amusing that the owner believes those pesky foreigners should be charged these higher prices, and uses it as an argument when called out. I must take more care when reading menus......

Best might be to ask for a written cost estimate before ordering. 

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Last week i ordered a pizza at Pizza company, they charged me 299THB for it. At the market where i usually go i pay just 69THB for a pizza. Should i have called the police?

It seems like Thailand has been overrun with saddos who think capitalism should only apply to their lives. 

Then I see where most of these posters live and no wonder. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

I think it's extremely unlikely that Thais would be taken in by such  rip-off.

But carry on paying well over the odds if it makes you feel happy, Mr Virtue-Signaller.  I bet you feel really good being ripped off because you know no better  ...

What you think is irrelevant, it is in the OP. I am not getting ripped off, another nonsense comment.

18 hours ago, kg1947 said:

PRICE :  Nothing wrong here , his prime location is expensive , he must pay staff ,

utilities , Life seafood tanks , etc. etc.  NO reason to complain ....

ATTITUDE : WRONG  !!   Foreigners are NOT to be fleeced , this way of thinking

is very very very LOW CLASS  &  IGNORANT ......

Next door ( left side ) is a Bar / Food shop with reasonable price ... try it .

again : location = Beach Rd. front facing the beach , between Soi 7 & Patt.Klang Rd.

plus : Witherspoon on the Beach has a special menu - I think . next to Basaya.

on P.Klang Rd.:  Jasmin's has Thai & Western food selection -- medium range ,

fast WiFi , front of Krung Thai Bank , 1/2 block from the beach front .

And Witherspoons on Beach Rd charge 95 baht for  a coffee. (not the size Starbucks do either.)

the price of the food was there, plus clean plats and eating utensils, clean table and a chair to sit on etc. etc. the owner just said the wrong thing thinking that meant the end of it, as it normally would have, and yes the government has a lot to learn like was said before

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andycoops said:

We'll they have just lost me as a customer, it's 45 baht at my local place.

I guess the rent at beach road must be extortionate.

Well possibly you're starting to get the hang of it, I am sure the rent is more than your local place. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Nobody said there's no dual pricing in Thailand. It's simply not the case in this restaurant/ article. This specific restaurant has 1 price for all, clearly displayed on the menu. The person that made the complaint is Thai. Learn to read (and understand) 

Didn't they?  Are you sure?  Maybe you should learn to read and understand yourself, Mr Perfect.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Any proof for this nonsense statement. 

Ask all the sponsors that send money from abroad and ask all the farangs that take their shorttime girlfriends there to have dinner . By your reaction it seems to me that your a little agitated , is some thai girl spending your hard earned money or did in the past ?? My comment was more of a joking kind it wasn't a statement but you are reacting like it hurts you a bit . Take it easy Frits it's nothing personal keep breathing and enjoy your day live is hard enough already . 

19 hours ago, kg1947 said:

PRICE :  Nothing wrong here , his prime location is expensive , he must pay staff ,

utilities , Life seafood tanks , etc. etc.  NO reason to complain ....

I thought prime location translated to more foot traffic, e.g. more customer potential, which should make up for the extra rent. Staff and seafood tanks cost the same for everyone, be it on beach road or third road.

19 hours ago, kg1947 said:

Next door ( left side ) is a Bar / Food shop with reasonable price ... try it .

So now you contradict yourself. Next door is the same prime location. Why they can sell at reasonable prices?

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, Henryford said:

You can't expect the price in a higher end restaurant to be the same as a road side stall. The price was clearly marked.

Yes Wolfgang Puck charges more for a pizza than Pizza Hut.

I think that's a reasonable comparison. 555