UK tells EU: back down by Sunday night or we'll walk

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The EU was in a state of shock when the referendum passed...if May had given the required notice immediately (I believe 2 years was required) she could have negotiated a good deal. 

I believe exactly the opposite, if May had taken her time before triggering article 50 she would not have put herself in a corner. She blinked first.

The EU was careful to lock each negotiation stage, and each time the UK go in deeper and deeper into the dead end we see once more.

In the defence of the UK it was mission impossible from the start, the UK had a stronger position inside the EU. Although one Brexit was inevitable, the UK could have played its hand better.

Even after 4 years and a half you still see here brexiteers who are living in Disneyland (and tabloids to sell them the dreams they want to hear).

All which is left now is to sign treaties and renege and I do not think we can exclude further bad blood in very very degraded relation. After all the UK is sending gunboats again fishermen, that is something.

• Haha 2

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

How would they know why you think that U.K. kids should be preferred over African kids? 

I agree with their opinion .

I didnt initially , I initially thought African kids should get food aid before UK kids do .

They convinced me otherwise .

Talk amongst yourselves, no need to include me 

12 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I agree with their opinion .

Why?

I didnt initially , I initially thought African kids should get food aid before UK kids do .

They convinced me otherwise .

How?

Talk amongst yourselves, no need to include me 

That doesn’t answer the question. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Just a few posts back I agreed that the UK kids are more deserving food aid at the expense of African kids.

11 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I am just in agreement with other peoples opinion 

I am just the middle man .

Ask the source , I cannot speak on behalf of them .

Not asking you to.

Asking you to explain why you think children from one geographical region are more deserving than others as you say in first quote above. 

You have said you agree that this is the case. 

Why?

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The same applies for African kids. So why prefer the one over the other? I think that was the question. 

There is so much aid and food to go around , INICEF doesnt have an endless amount of money .

Aid given to the UK means a reduction is aid to Africa .

Do you agree with UNICEF giving food aid to the UK .

I am open minded and am willing to change my mind again 

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

There is so much aid and food to go around , INICEF doesnt have an endless amount of money .

Aid given to the UK means a reduction is aid to Africa .

I’m afraid I don’t understand what you’re talking about. 

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Do you agree with UNICEF giving food aid to the UK .

I agree with UNICEF giving food aid to those who are need in need, regardless of their origin. And I (still) don’t understand why anyone would agree that UK kids should get preferential access to food aid over African kids. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

The reason given was that UK kids are starving and they shouldnt be denied food/UNICEF aid for the sole reason of their location , and I agreed with that 

That’s not what you said at all. You said you agreed that U.K. children are “more deserving “

Why?

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Have you been following the thread ?.

Just a few posts back I agreed that the UK kids are more deserving food aid at the expense of African kids.

We both agree on that point 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

On 12/13/2020 at 8:11 PM, CorpusChristie said:

I cannot explain what I meant , I cannot get down to that basic level .

I suffer enough trying to teach kids how to speak English 

So you never said you were a teacher ?

Where is the smiley this time?

QUOTE:

Me being confused ?

I am not a teacher , never have been and never will be .

Edited by oldhippy

Negotiators of a Brexit trade deal inched towards a compromise on fishing rights on Sunday but missed a major deadline, raising the prospect of weeks without arrangements from 1 January even in the event of agreement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/20/uk-faces-brexit-limbo-after-talks-deadline-missed

8 hours ago, Tofer said:

We weren't discussing your feelings. Feelings and facts are two completely different issues.

Is this particular case feelings and facts are synonym. 

As a non-Belgian I don't expect you will understand, and it doesn't really matter to us, that you don't. 

Of course you  are entitled to continue to express your opinion of how we, Belgian, should feel and do.

Always interesting to read the way of thinking from others.

In fact the main purpose of a forum. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bannork said:

To fall flat on your face means to fail in an embarrassing way. God knows how you apply that to Britain after WW1.

Similar analogy to your "smacking into a mountain side", i.e. it's going to be a disaster / failure - so it appears you now agree with my statement then. And yes, the remainers hope it will be an embarrassment to Brexiteers, since you spend all your time on here trying to rub our nose in your PERCEIVED forecasts of failure after we leave the transition period - very sad! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

I’ve got a feeling bojo will balls it up next time he attempts to do up his shoelaces without supervision  - that’s a fact too! 

No, that's another prediction from your crystal balls.... You guys wouldn't recognise a fact if it jumped up and hit you in the face....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few days a ago the Future Relationship with the European Union Committee (Commons) seemed to indicate than the deal was 97% ready

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/96a8787c-1c4a-4e7a-8aa1-097fabdb996f

// edit : they are drinking tea all the time, I wonder how their bladder can hold for so long ????

the guy behind Gove is quite useless and is just using his phone.

// edit 2 : we have a stubborn ERG guy persistently asking that the UK leaves without a deal that will please our ultra-brexiteers here

Edited by Hi from France

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

PERCEIVED forecasts of failure after we leave the transition period - very sad! 

It is, in my opinion, better to have a too much pessimistic approach, than a to big optimistic one. 

For the pessimist when indeed something bad come out, he isn't surprised. 

When it appears to be good, he is happy. 

For the optimist when good come out, he isn't surprised. 

When bad, he is devastated. 

Anyway everything is about belief. 

The Law of Belief says that you do not necessarily believe what you see, but you see what you have already decided to believe. 

6 hours ago, Hi from France said:

I believe exactly the opposite, if May had taken her time before triggering article 50 she would not have put herself in a corner. She blinked first.

The EU was careful to lock each negotiation stage, and each time the UK go in deeper and deeper into the dead end we see once more.

In the defence of the UK it was mission impossible from the start, the UK had a stronger position inside the EU. Although one Brexit was inevitable, the UK could have played its hand better.

Even after 4 years and a half you still see here brexiteers who are living in Disneyland (and tabloids to sell them the dreams they want to hear).

All which is left now is to sign treaties and renege and I do not think we can exclude further bad blood in very very degraded relation. After all the UK is sending gunboats again fishermen, that is something.

Once the UK agreed to pay a £ 60B Brexit fee, they were toast.

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Let's see how much of that actually gets paid.

If EU boats continue to fish our waters after a No Deal then I suspect payments may be withheld. Likewise, if it can be proved that the EU hasn't acted in good faith during FTA negotiations (shouldn't be too difficult) then the whole WA might be toast.

Personally I'd like to see it torn up. 

You assume ‘no deal’ and a lot else beside.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I suppose there is already an entire thread here discussing the calculation of the Brexit financial settlement, and you have the detail here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit_divorce_bill

there is absolutely nothing irregular here, and the EU could have recovered that same money through lengthy legal procedures too

the main things, I can add from my personal point of view on the matter of the Brexit divorce bill

• the EU countries were already a bit fed up with having a member constantly haggling not to pay in the same way as us all, so british exceptionalism was really a drag.
  • I won't discuss how much this is deserved or not (or indeed pretend the UK was the only one haggling on membership fee), but our view was that the Brits got much more out of the EU that they brought to the table (the UK sector benefiting the most being services, financial services mainly).
  • ... and they kept complaining and complaining,
  • There was also a different vision of the EU, the UK wanting a "minimal EU" while the French wanted a "maximal EU".

So in this sense (and although we would by far prefer another path in which that we share the same ambitions), it's a huge relief and a little miracle ???? that the UK left by its own free will.

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Let's see how much of that actually gets paid.

If EU boats continue to fish our waters after a No Deal then I suspect payments may be withheld. Likewise, if it can be proved that the EU hasn't acted in good faith during FTA negotiations (shouldn't be too difficult) then the whole WA might be toast.

Personally I'd like to see it torn up. 

Life’s good in lala land. 

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

When did the UK agree to 60 billion? BS on that statement.

That is why there has not been an official figure for it. The OBR estimated it would be £38bn, while the government had said between £35bn and £39bn.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

When did the UK agree to 60 million? BS on that statement.

The figure was in Billions, rather than millions  

I think that was the UK's yearly E.U membership fee over four years , from 2016-2020 .

15 Billion a year times four , gives you 60 Billion

• Like 1