THAI delays relaunch of domestic flights until Jan 1 after new cases found

webfact

On 12/11/2020 at 2:39 PM, SomchaiCNX said:

You are very close to libel (instead of slander) and really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Compared to other airlines in Thailand their pilots are very well trained before they even start to do base and line training. As told in another reply they currently do SIM training each month to stay current. I know of other airlines were after training SIM for 3 months they started as junior first officer. Ground school at Thai is at least 6 months before they start with SIM training. Recrutement has at least 7 different steps and takes more than 3 months, others have just 3 stages. Compared to other airlines they land manually every time except when they need to test the auto landing system every 28 days. Other airlines who are allowed to fly in Thailand use Pay to Fly pilots in their home country and their pilots autoland most of the time. CAAT is not liked by almost everybody who flies in Thailand if they find any excuse they will ground the pilot.

So, you want to tell me that those hundreds of TG pilots are keeping up with their fulfillment of flying hours requirements while the entire fleet is grounded and the simulators will never be able to accommodate the additional need? 

I am neither slandering nor libeling nor doing anything else but raising a possibly interesting point; for those in the know! 

I stand corrected - as a retired pilot mentioned recently - wonders happen every day! 

Edited by Sydebolle

On 12/11/2020 at 1:05 AM, SomchaiCNX said:

To keep it simple with maintenance and pilot training I would skip the EMB  (not many in Asia) and A 319.

If I would start an airline I would only fly A 220 to start with before I expand. 

I've never quite understood why the baby Airbus, A319, hasn't taken off in Asia.

It's a good compromise between a B737/A320 and the smaller regional jets.

Agreed about the Embrarer 170/175, although again don't understand why they haven't taken off in Asia.

These are a mainstay of regional routes in North America and Europe, and are in my opinion great aircraft wonderfully suited for short haul routes and certainly a step up from an ATR, Q400 or the CRJ 200's.

A 70 seat aircraft like the EMB175 seems the perfect fit for domestic Thai routes, except for the obvious exceptions of CNX, HKT.

All that being said, quite a few domestic routes are very short, which means planned altitude can be around 27K ft, that doesn't lend itself to a turbofan, and a turboprop would be the most efficient solution.

But Hell, TIT when did practicalities and rational thought ever factor into anything.

So I fully expect to see an A380 flying into KKC.

And to all those that can't see irony, that was a joke btw!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So I fully expect to see an A380 flying into KKC.

And to all those that can't see irony, that was a joke btw!

Stranger things can happen. Your expectations may be realised. Most likely a one-way trip for the A380 to a rice field to be left to rot in the sunshine whilst awaiting a purchaser.

4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Stranger things can happen. Your expectations may be realised. Most likely a one-way trip for the A380 to a rice field to be left to rot in the sunshine whilst awaiting a purchaser.

Most of these big uneconomical lumps will turn into coffee shops and restaurants as has happened to several of the other Airbus wide bodies that were used by Thai. 

The main thing is the accrual of further losses in terms of assets at an insolvent and heavily indebted airline. 

With no miracles in sight and international travel in the doldrums Thai must be losing billions per month, on top of 350 billion thb debt. 

It's merely a question of when to pull life support. 

17 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most of these big uneconomical lumps will turn into coffee shops and restaurants as has happened to several of the other Airbus wide bodies that were used by Thai. 

The main thing is the accrual of further losses in terms of assets at an insolvent and heavily indebted airline. 

With no miracles in sight and international travel in the doldrums Thai must be losing billions per month, on top of 350 billion thb debt. 

Well, TG before we even entered this insanity was the second most indebted airline in the world.

It's been on Government life support for close to a decade.

Trying to sell assets in an industry that is awash with surplus airframes with the assumption that it will be the savior, is as always with Thai thinking totally delusional.

In any rational world it's time to put a bullet in TG, and have it emerge as a smaller more regionally focused airline, with a fleet that more appropriately meets those requirements.

But I've been around long enough to know that kind of thinking is an anathema to the Thai mentality of 'we are the greatest country on earth'.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not looking good for THAI. I've still got 3 extended tickets for 2021 with them due to cancellations. Maybe time to request refunds or dispute with credit card company.

The chances of THAI selling any of their planes is close to zero in the current situation. The French government has recently listed some older (still airworthy) A340s at a starting price of just €80k each. 

https://simpleflying.com/french-a340s-for-sale/

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

The chances of THAI selling any of their planes is close to zero in the current situation. The French government has recently listed some older (still airworthy) A340s at a starting price of just €80k each. 

Wow.

My dream of opening a airliner coffee shop / theme restaurant in Thailand just came a bit closer to reality. 

????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Someone is setting up some kind of project involving an old Thai aircraft (can tell it’s Thai Airways by what’s left for now of the paint job) at the intersection of 107 and 1095 (road to Pai) in Chiang Mai province. It was in pieces but last time I went by they had put the wings back on. Figure it’s got to be a restaurant but a pretty big site so ``likely more than that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 7:29 PM, soi3eddie said:

Not looking good for THAI. I've still got 3 extended tickets for 2021 with them due to cancellations. Maybe time to request refunds or dispute with credit card company.

Well I would certainly go down the credit card company route of disputing the charges. The chances of TG ever honoring those tickets is at best 50:50.

As for the pie in the sky idea that TG is going to be able to unload any of these aircraft is fanciful at best. It was fanciful before the industry became awash with excess airframes parked up in the deserts.

Which is another part of this whole stupidity. Airlines store aircraft in deserts, Victorville, Teurel, Alice Springs, for a very good reason, they are hot and dry. Aircraft without pressurization cycles don't like moisture, they tend to corrode.

So where are all these excess aircraft TG wants to flog off stored? DMK & U-Tapeo!

Yeah, perfect storage environment

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 3:49 PM, Sydebolle said:

So, you want to tell me that those hundreds of TG pilots are keeping up with their fulfillment of flying hours requirements while the entire fleet is grounded and the simulators will never be able to accommodate the additional need? 

I am neither slandering nor libeling nor doing anything else but raising a possibly interesting point; for those in the know! 

I stand corrected - as a retired pilot mentioned recently - wonders happen every day! 

Their SIMs work around the clock. They are only down for maintenance.  Instructors works in shifts. Just the situation at Thai. When operating flights now they use double crews and each one is doing a leg instead of the normal crew doing the round trip. CPL training in Thailand is something  completely different, if the FAA would be in charge not many would stay in operation. But then again they (FAA) showed their own flaws while dealing with the MAX.

3 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Their SIMs work around the clock. They are only down for maintenance.  Instructors works in shifts. Just the situation at Thai. When operating flights now they use double crews and each one is doing a leg instead of the normal crew doing the round trip. CPL training in Thailand is something  completely different, if the FAA would be in charge not many would stay in operation. But then again they (FAA) showed their own flaws while dealing with the MAX.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2035671/rusty-pilots-warned-as-post-pandemic-flight-risks-soar 

• Like 1