advice about building a house in Khon Kaen

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't you mean "I'm thinking of paying to build a house that my GF will own" or, as it is on her father's land, that he would own?

YOU can't ever own it, in REALITY. Even if you take some legal action such as a usefruct if she or her family want you gone, you are gone, IMO.

Without owning the land you have nothing IMO.

I strongly suggest you read all the threads on the Marriage and divorce sub forum to understand why it would be a monumental mistake, unless prepared to walk away without recompense.

Let them build the house if it's important to her.

You are not married, so the house would belong to you, if you want to remove the house and put it somewhere else. If build it after married it's half yours, but the hard part is getting her to pay you for your half.

Do you even know if you will get along with her family? For many farangs the best place for the family is thousands of km away.

YES x 10

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't you mean "I'm thinking of paying to build a house that my GF will own" or, as it is on her father's land, that he would own?

YOU can't ever own it, in REALITY. Even if you take some legal action such as a usefruct if she or her family want you gone, you are gone, IMO.

Without owning the land you have nothing IMO.

I strongly suggest you read all the threads on the Marriage and divorce sub forum to understand why it would be a monumental mistake, unless prepared to walk away without recompense.

Let them build the house if it's important to her.

You are not married, so the house would belong to you, if you want to remove the house and put it somewhere else. If build it after married it's half yours, but the hard part is getting her to pay you for your half.

Do you even know if you will get along with her family? For many farangs the best place for the family is thousands of km away.

Is that far enough?

43 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Thanks for telling me this. But atleast the I/O's in other parts would give u a fair chance. They would arrange a translator too in case of language barrier. But in thailand- u come too mutt,, why u come back, why u come again, no no, what u working in thailand,, go back ..

How many does that happen to?

Provided one has the correct visa it's unlikely one would be refused entry just on frequency.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Provided one has the correct visa it's unlikely one would be refused entry just on frequency.

loads on reports on TV about issues with entry(pre covid). just because they visit thailand too much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Have you ever built a house before? This is a whole new ball game building in Thailand, you dont speak the lingo?

Rule No1 Dont employ her brother or any other family member it will be never ending, 

Take your time find a builder who can speak English and take a look at houses he has built and obviously get references,

You must have heard the saying, If you think employing a professional is expensive? wait until you employ an armature  

I agree about employing an amateur (  An armature is part of a generator. ). Having had to employ them several times I always had to do it over myself after they left.

From threads on the housing sub forum, one has to be scoping their work all the time to make sure it is done properly, and preventing them pouring the unused cement down the toilet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

loads on reports on TV about issues with entry(pre covid). just because they visit thailand too much. 

Link?

Provided one has the correct visa/ re entry permit I've never heard of a refusal unless for something else.

Trying to use a Tourist Visa too often does invite a refusal.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Link?

Provided one has the correct visa/ re entry permit I've never heard of a refusal unless for something else.

Trying to use a Tourist Visa too often does invite a refusal.

it did and so many reports here on TV . but i just cant spend 30 min to find those threads. i have better things to do now like argue with fellow TV members..????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree about employing an amateur (  An armature is part of a generator. ). Having had to employ them several times I always had to do it over myself after they left.

From threads on the housing sub forum, one has to be scoping their work all the time to make sure it is done properly, and preventing them pouring the unused cement down the toilet.

I had one washing his paint brushes in the pool

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, petermik said:

I had this house down in Trang built 6 years ago on land 20 minutes walk away from my TGF,s family....never a problem from them...nice people....cost £25,000 when the pound was worth 54/55 baht (would not do it now) found it a great adventure (frustrating at times however) we spend 10 days each month down there from our base in Pattaya and it,s something for my TGF when my toes curl up.....if you go into it with your eyes wide open and can afford to walk away if need be then go for it....otherwise forget it :thumbsup:DSCN0415.thumb.JPG.f74ea047d6384c8e0ba0dbcc15ba44da.JPG

I did it at 69bht to the pound....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife had one weld a steel gate and soon as they left it fell off. He didn't clean all the crud off the steel before welding and it was only held by a spot.

That's what you get when you ask a "baker" if he can weld.

They always will say: "No Ploplem".????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Keyword "correct visa"....

never saw it happen to retirement, marriage, child support, work or elite/pe visa holders... If it happens then to people on visa exempt or sketchy ED visas in 99% of cases.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A usuffruct would also be complicated because there is an existing house on the land, so the usufruct in theory would allow access to the existing structure

You just have to split up the land first. Mob come out with the little round white concrete survey posts, put them along the agreed boarders and there you go...watch out for the BILL as they might sneak out and shift a survey peg before the land gets surveyed. So you make sure that you have access road on the land department documents so no one can build a fence across your access road.  This part is a little tricky. Then once it's all surveyed and documented and registered people can move as many survey pegs as they want and it doesn't matter.

15 hours ago, cookiesnmayo said:

My Thai gf and I are thinking about building a house on her fathers land adjacent to his house but before I mention all the other things that need to be considered when taking on a venture like this I want to know will I be able to own the house or would it be under her name?

Let your gf to continue to think about it and if she wants to do it with her money, up to her.

Don't be involved in this mess. You will lose your money, your gf, your dreams and so on

DON'T DO IT !!

Thanks me later

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Ooooooooooh that must've  hurt ,I did it at 73. (2006 ish)

Advice for the OP

Ownership  issues  aside you  will need to bear in mind the following.

They are NOT  your friends never get  pally with them in  any way, they don't care about you one  bit.

If you have no building knowledge  you  will be ripped  off, at the least buy a few  books and read  up a  bit.

You WILL  need to be on site  all day not an  hour a  day ALL day watching everything so you can nip it  in the bud. They  will take any and every short cut, covered in concrete stupid farang won't  know.

Never let them get ahead on payment, he  who holds the money holds the  power, don't be surprised if they just up and  leave for the slightest of reasons.

Buy your own materials do   not let them, they will buy the cheapest and tell you its the best and again once covered in concrete you wont know.

As mentioned don't  let any family be involved in the work.

Check everything everyday.

First, I'd check gf's past and try to find out how many dead bodies she's got under her bed.

Still married and a few kids at grandma's house that was built by a foreigner? 

You never know until you know. It took me 16 years to find out that my partner was married before. Not that I'd have had a problem with it.

Such things do not seem to be important for them. For us, they are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

First, I'd check gf's past and try to find out how many dead bodies she's got under her bed.

Still married and a few kids at grandma's house that was built by a foreigner? 

You never know until you know. It took me 16 years to find out that my partner was married before. Not that I'd have had a problem with it.

Such things do not seem to be important for them. For us, they are. 

Need to make sure you are well up in the pecking order.....Husband......common law husband.......boyfriend......gik.......f*** buddy......ATM....friend

• Thanks 1

Or:

Build a house, maximum 1Million Baht.

Tell her, you help with 200k, she has to put in 300k and rest, she gets a mortgage.

If they f.... up, you just walk away.

Better 200k than everything. As long there are mortgage payments, probably they keep the love going. ????

• Thanks 1