No deal on Brexit trade 'very very likely', British PM Johnson says

rooster59

No deal on Brexit trade 'very very likely', British PM Johnson says

By Guy Faulconbridge and Gabriela Baczynska

2020-12-11T095730Z_1_LYNXMPEGBA0H9_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-GAMBLING-ODDS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Flags of the Union Jack and European Union are seen ahead of the meeting of European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, in Brussels, Belgium December 9, 2020. Olivier Hoslet/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

LONDON/BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Britain is likely to complete its journey out of the European Union in three weeks without a trade deal, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said on Friday.

Britain quit the EU in January but remains an informal member until Dec. 31 - the end of a transition period during which it has remained in the EU single market and customs union.

Both sides say they want to agree arrangements to cover nearly $1 trillion in annual trade but negotiations are at an impasse, with Britain standing to lose zero-tariff and zero-quota access to the huge European single market.

"It's looking very, very likely we'll have to go for a solution that I think will be wonderful for the UK. We'll be able to do exactly what we want from Jan. 1. It will obviously be different from what we set out to achieve," Johnson told reporters.

"If there's a big offer, a big change in what they're saying then I must say that I'm yet to see it," said Johnson, the face of the "leave" campaign in Britain's 2016 Brexit referendum.

He later held a meeting with senior minister Michael Gove and officials to assess the country's preparedness for a no-deal departure, a government official said.

Von Der Leyen was quoted by an EU official as telling leaders of the bloc's 27 member states attending a summit in Brussels on Friday that prospects for a deal had worsened.

"The probability of a no deal is higher than of a deal," the official said on condition of anonymity.

Johnson and von der Leyen have given negotiators until Sunday evening to break the deadlock over fishing rights and EU demands for Britain to face consequences if in the future it diverges from the bloc's rules.

Johnson must decide whether the deal on offer is worth taking or the future freedom and domestic political benefits afforded by leaving without one outweigh the economic costs.

A Brexit without a trade deal would damage the economies of Europe, send shockwaves through financial markets, snarl borders and sow chaos through the delicate supply chains which stretch across Europe and beyond.

NO DEAL?

As EU leaders lined up to warn of the failure of talks, investors started to price in the risk of a chaotic finale to the five-year Brexit crisis.

British stocks fell, euro zone government bond yields fell and sterling fell about 1% against the dollar and euro.

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said there were still fundamental issues unresolved in the trade talks.

"Time is running out and we need to prepare for a hard Brexit," he said, referring to an abrupt rupture in trade arrangements.

EU leaders rejected a proposal from Johnson for a Brexit call with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday, EU officials said.

Johnson is under pressure from Brexit supporters in Britain not to cave to any EU demands that they say could undermine his promises to regain Britain's sovereignty.

Macron also faces domestic pressure, with French fishermen urging him to ensure the EU defends their fishing rights.

Asked by a reporter about an EU proposal for a one-year contingency plan, under which EU fishermen would keep access to Britain's fishing waters, he said: "I'm not asking to have my cake and eat it, no. All I want is a cake that's worth its weight. Because I won't give up my share of it either."

The Bank of England said it had taken steps to keep banks lending through 2021 as Britain prepares for any market disruption from a big change in the trading relationship with the EU, while also dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic.

(Additional reporting by Michael Holden, David Milliken, Andy Bruce, Elizabeth Piper, Sujata Rao and Paul Sandle; Writing by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Timothy Heritage, Philippa Fletcher and Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-12

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Not famine but I can imagine high unemployment and a greater run on the food banks that are already overwhelmed, even before covid large numbers of children going to school hungry have been reported and yes higher numbers of evictions due to non payment of rent are on the cards.

"democracy or a full stomach and a roof over ones head......it's a difficult decision".

So no sensationalism then in the above statement.

10 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I am surprised Boris hasn’t got it done already.

He seems like such a competent, sensible and intelligent man. He is doing a superb job with covid, he said so himself.

D536D480-FFC1-4766-AAD1-91DA05D74AEF.jpeg.da5e5c1e1a1d7a2b081602698d462461.jpeg

Bad for the expat B its, your pound won’t be worth much after this.

I detest some sour grapes coming from you.  Where are you from.

Thanks for your picture, it had such a huge impact.????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, petermik said:

Bye bye to our ex European partners let us hope your arms are long enough to dig deep into your pockets to fill the very large hole our contributions made....we voted out..we want out :thumbsup:

You don't work and live in the UK then. The hole in contributions can be filled by cutting subsidies eg. to inefficient French farms, often quietly discussed but never seriously, now is the time for change.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

democracy or a full stomach and a roof over ones head......it's a difficult decision.

Yes. Because Demcracy and having a roof over you head are obviously mutually exclusive.????

With that attitude towards Democracy it makes perfect sense that you'd be a fan of the EU and their corrupt protectionist anti democratic bullying racket.

Good riddance to them. I hope a Buy British campaign is launched in the UK ASAP. In my opinion all goods in supermarkets should be clearly marked as EU or British. Support our own produce and import as little as possible from the EU. We should not buy from hostile environments. I've cancelled my plans to buy a S1000RR already. The Japanese will get my business as they were happy to sign a trade deal with us. As were Canada, South Korea etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Don't exaggerate, BMW's and Mercedes will still be sold, quality and beating the Joneses always had a price they will just be even more expensive and the profits will go back to Germany, as they do now.

You were the one saying people will be going hungry and no roofs over their heads.

There is more to life than a car. An overpriced one at that.

• Like 1