driving a scooter

no deal

1 minute ago, no deal said:

only what i want is my kids to be legal to drive is scooter, we have law and we need to comply whit the law,some people don't, that they problem!

Any kid can be LEGAL if the bike is tested , registered and has basic 3rd party insurance.

I would want MY kids to be taught how to ride properly, safely, with a helmet and obey the rules of the road.

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Any kid can be LEGAL if the bike is tested , registered and has basic 3rd party insurance.

I would want MY kids to be taught how to ride properly, safely, with a helmet and obey the rules of the road.

that what i want! my kids is smart he understand, i explain every thing!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

As far I know insurance is only valid and paying when the driver also has an valid license. Maybe not in TH?

That other insurance with rentals merely covers 10K baht injuries only too. No damages to bike and car.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

And  that insurance is  virtually  useless, lets  say Somchai kidboy  hits  your  car, 1 he has  no cover with  the govt insurance for damage to your vehicle,2 he has such a paltry minimum amount for injury to you its worthless, the whole compulsory insurance thing is a very sick  joke.

Rubbish you are misinformed. 

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

As far I know insurance is only valid and paying when the driver also has an valid license. Maybe not in TH?

That other insurance with rentals merely covers 10K baht injuries only too. No damages to bike and car.

You need more information other than from a bar stool. ????

1 hour ago, no deal said:

you right i do some research, 15 years is the legal age, good news, the son of my wife is going to be 15 in two mont.and i am going to send him to driving school,i know what some people think about driving school but if you drive whit out a permit the assurance company don't want covert any thing,and that is a big problem!

You need to do something more research musha.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You need more information other than from a bar stool. ????

Barstool? That is International law and the case in almost every country. Damages to vehicles are only covered in additional insurances in TH too.

Rental accident tourists I seen in 10 years never got more than 10K back. For a broken arm etc.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

I think having scooter as a mode of transport (only option for many, no bus etc.) and part of culture and all that is fair enough...

But then the government and parents should also take responsibility for safety and teaching the kids riding properly, respecting rules and taking care of other road users and so on.

It's not hard really, Thais are so glued to social media and TV, why not have more road use safety and learning campaign... (instead of so much other rubbish / propaganda they put out...!).

In US teenagers (14/15) can choose driving as part of their school curriculum to prepare to get their license, why don't they have somehing like that for scooters here...., not that difficult to implement...!

I came up with my own stats - see if you agree..., if Thais just followed the road rules and take care by 20% more, the road accidents will be reduced by 80%...!? It's really easy and possible to do, some of the things/mistakes they do is just mind boggling in this day and age...????

In the US they........................

We dont live in the US. Thank Buddha.

50 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The Por lor bor insurance doesnt have a license requirement, The insurance covers the vehicle not the operator. otherwise innocent victims  would not be covered if a rider is not licensed. The insurance  covers anyone injured by the vehicle, including the rider, with or without a license. I have claimed on it twice and nobody has ever asked me for a license.

The coverage amount is 80,000 baht per person per accident, 500,000 for death or permanent disability

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The Por lor bor insurance doesnt have a license requirement, The insurance covers the vehicle not the operator.

Thailand be unique then but 80K wouldnt cover anything serious. Driving license would still be required for any (foreign) health insurance as well the por lor bor not cover material damages. So funny if breaking an arm or leg only.

The boy will not be able to pay for a new car most likely. Just a simple hand operation I had together with a night care and small things resulted in double that. Let alone serious surgery.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

31 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So how does one claim that? By bills only or with some police report ? I used my private one last time only.

I was treated at a private hospitial, and just gave them the numberplate of the bike. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I just read my por lor bor and that 80K is only for bike drivers. As a car driver its a mere 30K and limited to 7 ppl.

Its 30k for the driver or rider of the vehicle (if its your fault), 80k for anyone else injured (car or bike),

Probably to stop bogus single driver/rider claims.

I think you will find the 7 people limit is passengers in the car, its not a limit on pedestrians or bystanders etc

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You could no more stop youngsters from riding motorcycles here than you could stop a nomadic Mongolian's son from riding a horse. (which is probably more dangerous)

As @Wongkitlo said above, it's become part of the culture here.

I was being sarcastic in my previous comment.

teenagers will always be teenagers.

There are much bigger things to be worried about than that

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

In the US they........................

We dont live in the US. Thank Buddha.

Nothing wrong with picking up some good things from other countries, just cherry pick though...!

Just leave it as it is continues the road carnage here, the second worst road safety in the world is nothing to be proud of, what would Budha say...! ????