driving a scooter

no deal

I see so many kids driving scooter going to school, they are about 14 years old more or less, whit no licence and no insurance,i think  we should have a permis for this people, like scooter whit no more 100cc, wearing helmet and have insurance,kits at 14 years old drive scooter very good,so wy not,that be better i think

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, no deal said:

I see so many kids driving scooter going to school, they are about 14 years old more or less, whit no licence and no insurance

Kids on scoots/ waves is an age old comment made by foreigners.

The scooter is insured if the scoot has a road disc.

Private voluntary insurance is not usually bothered with by Thais.

58 minutes ago, no deal said:

I see so many kids driving scooter going to school, they are about 14 years old more or less, whit no licence and no insurance,i think  we should have a permis for this people, like scooter whit no more 100cc, wearing helmet and have insurance,kits at 14 years old drive scooter very good,so wy not,that be better i think

I agree , It's just not on.

Young tearaways.They are ruining peoples lives.

• Confused 1

It does NOT matter...nobody cares.  Thais will do as they please.  Good luck changing them, or anyone.  That kind of power is reserved for gods not mortals like us....but good luck mate!  If there is more safety on the road, only makes it a better place for all. 

I think having scooter as a mode of transport (only option for many, no bus etc.) and part of culture and all that is fair enough...

But then the government and parents should also take responsibility for safety and teaching the kids riding properly, respecting rules and taking care of other road users and so on.

It's not hard really, Thais are so glued to social media and TV, why not have more road use safety and learning campaign... (instead of so much other rubbish / propaganda they put out...!).

In US teenagers (14/15) can choose driving as part of their school curriculum to prepare to get their license, why don't they have somehing like that for scooters here...., not that difficult to implement...!

I came up with my own stats - see if you agree..., if Thais just followed the road rules and take care by 20% more, the road accidents will be reduced by 80%...!? It's really easy and possible to do, some of the things/mistakes they do is just mind boggling in this day and age...????

Edited by Agusts
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, no deal said:

Whatever rules you wish Thailand would have: Thailand doesn't have a proper police, so rules aren't enforced and nobody cares.

Thais usually don't think "if i do this, then what will be the consequences?", thus they never think about having an accident and how to protect themselves from it.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Do you realise the age for a bike license is 15, many of the kids you presume are 14 may well be 15 and completely legal. There is a basic 3rd party person insurance built into the yearly fee for motorbikes.

Yes, some are younger and not legal but in some rural/remote areas, its how a big part of the population get themselves and siblings to school. 

Most of the kids get to and from school safely, and have done for years, its just being practical. Not sure that a permit would make the trip any safer

you said the legal age is 15 years old for a kids to get a licence to drive a scooter?

after seeing the motorbike driving license process/test, I would reckon that  it doesn't make a difference if they have the license or not.

driving on the highways without a helmet is illegal, so is driving without a license.

a young lady cut me off with her scooter once, and took me and my girlfriend off my big bike.. she was on the highway, no helmet, no license, no insurance, didn't use signal light before turning, did not look in mirror or behind and she was absolutely 100% at fault

just her having no license or helmet should put her at fault, because she shouldn't have been there in the first place for like 15 other reasons

blame fell on me because she was a poor girl,  they took my bike away made me sign a paper saying it was my fault (in Thai)

i had to pay to fix her bike, give her money cause she got knocked out (no helmet) and fix mine.

did she learn anything?

no, but I did.

if you ask me, they should enforce the license and helmet with penalties that go up

1st

warning, written up.

fine 100 baht

fine 250 baht

fine 500 baht

fine 1000 baht

and keep going.

cannot pay? take the bike away .. not paid within 1 or 2 months? sell the bike at auctions for dirt cheap and give them the change after fees

11 minutes ago, kekalot said:

after seeing the motorbike driving license process/test, I would reckon that  it doesn't make a difference if they have the license or not.

driving on the highways without a helmet is illegal, so is driving without a license.

a young lady cut me off with her scooter once, and took me and my girlfriend off my big bike.. she was on the highway, no helmet, no license, no insurance, didn't use signal light before turning, did not look in mirror or behind and she was absolutely 100% at fault

just her having no license or helmet should put her at fault, because she shouldn't have been there in the first place for like 15 other reasons

blame fell on me because she was a poor girl,  they took my bike away made me sign a paper saying it was my fault (in Thai)

i had to pay to fix her bike, give her money cause she got knocked out (no helmet) and fix mine.

did she learn anything?

no, but I did.

if you ask me, they should enforce the license and helmet with penalties that go up

1st

warning, written up.

fine 100 baht

fine 250 baht

fine 500 baht

fine 1000 baht

and keep going.

cannot pay? take the bike away .. not paid within 1 or 2 months? sell the bike at auctions for dirt cheap and give them the change after fees

i have a full coverage whit my insurance and in case of a accident i call the insurance company who send a investigator, he the one who said who is at fault,if i am in my right there is no way i sign a piece of paper like you and paye for her repair because she poor!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Do you realise the age for a bike license is 15, many of the kids you presume are 14 may well be 15 and completely legal. There is a basic 3rd party person insurance built into the yearly fee for motorbikes.

Yes, some are younger and not legal but in some rural/remote areas, its how a big part of the population get themselves and siblings to school. 

Most of the kids get to and from school safely, and have done for years, its just being practical. Not sure that a permit would make the trip any safer

you right i do some research, 15 years is the legal age, good news, the son of my wife is going to be 15 in two mont.and i am going to send him to driving school,i know what some people think about driving school but if you drive whit out a permit the assurance company don't want covert any thing,and that is a big problem!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, no deal said:

you right i do some research, 15 years is the legal age, good news, the son of my wife is going to be 15 in two mont.and i am going to send him to driving school,i know what some people think about driving school but if you drive whit out a permit the assurance company don't want covert any thing,and that is a big problem!

two month sorry

6 minutes ago, no deal said:

and two people on the scooter only, and helmet, or racing, or i take the scooter, no need the police for that! i will check...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Kids on scoots/ waves is an age old comment made by foreigners.

The scooter is insured if the scoot has a road disc.

Private voluntary insurance is not usually bothered with by Thais.

And  that insurance is  virtually  useless, lets  say Somchai kidboy  hits  your  car, 1 he has  no cover with  the govt insurance for damage to your vehicle,2 he has such a paltry minimum amount for injury to you its worthless, the whole compulsory insurance thing is a very sick  joke.

55 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

And  that insurance is  virtually  useless, lets  say Somchai kidboy  hits  your  car, 1 he has  no cover with  the govt insurance for damage to your vehicle,2 he has such a paltry minimum amount for injury to you its worthless, the whole compulsory insurance thing is a very sick  joke.

maybe but is going to be all legal!

If there is any licensing, enforcement and training to be done, it should be for car/pick-up drivers.

Scooters dont often have fatal stand alone accidents, hit things or run off the road etc.

Scooters get hit by cars/pick-ups. Its not the 15 year old kids ,going to and from school doing 40kph, causing or having fatal/serious accidents, most of the time its somchai in a pick-up running into them. 

Edited by Peterw42