Woke up with puffy eyes

Drew3223

See photo. Felt like there was an itch night before last, couldn't help rubbing my right eye. Woke like this yesterday. Gave it 24 hours but it is still puffy and right one more swollen than left.

Chemist tried to give me Clarityn. Anyone have any idea what it might be? I am here in Thailand? I'm on Koh Tao. 

20201214_114538.jpg

Symptom: Swollen, Red Eyelids

Symptoms of allergic pinkeye usually involve both eyes and almost always includes itching. Swelling of the eyelids is more common with bacterial and allergic pinkeye.

Also known as Conjunctivitis: https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/ss/slideshow-pinkeye#:~:text=Symptom%3A Swollen%2C Red Eyelids&text=Symptoms of allergic pinkeye usually,with bacterial and allergic pinkeye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It would not be just conjunctivits as the entire area around the eye is red and swollen.

Either he has an orbital cellulitis (serious) or an allergic reaction, possibly to a bite he was unaware of.

The two can co-exist, i.e. a bite can cause both an allergic response and a cellulitis.

OP - you can first try antihistamine as recommended by pharmacist but unless there is very quick improvement (i.e. within a few hours) you need to go to hospital and will likely need IV antibiotics. (If you want to avoid admission can ask about coming in daily for it, usually possible if they select an antibiotic with just once a day dosing).

If it does NOT improve today after taking antihistamine, or  if it gets worse then do not delay trip to the hospital.  Do nto leave it till tomorrow unless you see clear improvment after taking the antihistamine.

Thanks all. 

Cheryl, went to dictor/clinic. He had a look and found some infection inside the top of my right eye. Then held it open, scraped it out, and put some cream before covering it up as per the photo below. 

Gave me eye drops and two lots of pills to take. Told me take the cover off tonight before bed and come back tomorrow if not better. 

What do you think? 

20201214_154727.jpg

Keep a close eye on it (n pun intended). You should also take a pen or sharpie and outline the red area so that you can easily see if it increases in size.

If it improves with the medication you are OK (but be sure to take the full course of antibiotics), if not you may need IV antibiotics.

Any sign that it is getting worse, you should go at once to hospital (which might mean  a trip to KP or Samui...I am not sure of the capacity at what passes for govt hospItal on Koh Tao).  This is where having outlined the margins of redness in ink is very helpful - If the area of redness increases then it is getting worse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Keep a close eye on it (n pun intended). You should also take a pen or sharpie and outline the red area so that you can easily see if it increases in size.

If it improves with the medication you are OK (but be sure to take the full course of antibiotics), if not you may need IV antibiotics.

Any sign that it is getting worse, you should go at once to hospital (which might mean  a trip to KP or Samui...I am not sure of the capacity at what passes for govt hospItal on Koh Tao).  This is where having outlined the margins of redness in ink is very helpful - If the area of redness increases then it is getting worse.

Might be rocking an eye patch this Christmas. lol 

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Hopefully not. If the antibiotic is working, you should be looking normal in a matter of days.

Is it only a few days?  As I recall it took several weeks when I had here (although they did say it was a bad case - and that was 50 years ago ????).  Recall it as very unpleasant experience as both eyes were infected.  

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Is it only a few days?  As I recall it took several weeks when I had here (although they did say it was a bad case - and that was 50 years ago ????).  Recall it as very unpleasant experience as both eyes were infected.  

I doubt what you had was orbital cellulitis. More likley conjunctivitis? Which is altogether different from OP's problem.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I doubt what you had was orbital cellulitis. More likley conjunctivitis? Which is altogether different from OP's problem.

Oops sorry - did not notice the final diagnosis was not conjunctivitis - indeed that was what I had and can be really unpleasant but varies a lot.  

18 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Bit late to the party......

Could be a mild case of rove beetle dermatitis.

These critters are  common in Southern Thailand , I have had personal experience with them in the Chumphon area.

Mine about 6 months ago.  Burned pretty bad for a few days and then started going away.

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

On 12/14/2020 at 4:01 PM, Sheryl said:

Pull the pin-out, see if anything happens... ????  sorry.

IF it is a bacterie then antibiotics should do it , virus is more complex.

It is already mentioned , could be the rove beetle. It doesnt bite , but touching it is out of the question

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1111246-animals-in-thailand-little-mean-rove-beetles/

conjunctivitis is more common, but depends on where it is coming from.

A soa can be a cause.