Swedish inmate sentenced to death in Thailand turns writer

webfact

Swedish inmate sentenced to death in Thailand turns writer

by Mette Larsen

356ced8a-3adb-4b88-84f0-bad46d4c7a1e-560x373.jpg

Kim Eriksson Sirawan arrives at Arlanda Airport, 2019. Photo: Peter Wixtröm

Swedish Kim Eriksson Sirawan, 39, is no longer just known for having been sentenced to death for drug offenses in Thailand. Nowadays he can also call himself a writer.

Kim Eriksson Sirawan was arrested and sentenced to death for running a drug lab in a garage in the summer of 2010 in Thailand. His verdict was later commuted to life in prison and after eight years in a Thai prison, he was transferred to the Swedish prison Mariefredsanstalten in 2019.

It’s here where he, together with five other inmates, participated in a writing circle in May 2020 hosted by Swedish author Magnus Utvik and the result is now a published anthology called ‘Freedom inside the walls’ (from Swedish ‘Friheten innanför murarna’) based on the inmates own written experiences.   

Full story: https://scandasia.com/swedish-inmate-sentenced-to-death-in-thailand-turns-writer/

scandasia.jpg

-- © Copyright SandAsia 2020-12-15

33 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

I have a friend he is fench in cnx.On drug charges and in prison.he is hoping to stay in thailand if possible after but that will cost lots of money.His  only chance of getting out early is the same as the swede back in france a short stay there, then free.But he is a marked man now with what they use to barr u in thailand forever.Does not matter what he does after once gone from thailand never back in legal.he made his bed and now must lie in it

Usually on the next flight out, 

In fact, Thailand requires all foreigners from all countries with transfer treaties to do a big portion of their sentences here. They are not resentenced at home, either, but must finish out a big part of their time. Their own language & more liberal accommodations is the advantage. And all you bashers, look--anybody can make an error in judgment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Many who follow or know the justice system here will also know that because he was found guilty doesn't mean he was guilty! 

Kinda like an election. It matters more who counts the votes.

Edited by 300sd
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2020 at 10:19 AM, Myran said:

I'm so tired of hearing about this crybaby. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. And now we're gonna get the 5891th book about some self-pitying loser's experience in a Thai prison. We get it, it's bad.

I am so tired of self righteous people regurgitating boring stuff like 'if you can't do the time ...' What does it matter to yyou if someone writes a book that others may find interesting?

On 12/15/2020 at 8:23 AM, ChipButty said:

Another reformed drug dealer writing a book, give me a break

Should he just go back to selling drugs? Lets be happy he has reformed and hope he becomes a positive person in society. My guess is for every one guy that writes a book there are 100s if not 1000s who return to their old life.  

3 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

how come he get to "GO HOME" i not see anything in report as to WHY he "went home" ???!!!!

Normal practice after a foreign prisoner has served a required minimum of his sentence (1/3 or 8 years?) but they don't "go home", they have to serve the remainder of their sentence in their own country's prison system.

Edited by Spatiumus

6 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

Normal practice after a foreign prisoner has served a required minimum of his sentence (1/3 or 8 years?) but they don't "go home", they have to serve the remainder of their sentence in their own country's prison system.

That is not true for all countries,in one country i know off it works a little different.

Let's say you get convicted in Thailand for a crime and the courts give you 25 years jail time.

You get send home after x amount of years and the courts in that country will look at your

crime and if in your own country you would have gotten only ten years and you did 8 years here you would have to do two more years.

If in your country the sentence was only 6 years after 8 years here you get to go home.time served.

3 hours ago, Dan Talus said:

His story must not be that electrifying, it didn't end up on Banged Up Abroad 

They have already done quite a few of these.  Perhaps this one is just another run-of-the-mill farang gets locked up for drugs in Thailand.  He probably needed a catchier angle such as, "needed the money for Mom's cancer treatment".

17 hours ago, jvs said:
On 12/21/2020 at 2:42 PM, Spatiumus said:

That is not true for all countries

I know.