Thais far from over the moon with govt plans to launch its own space program

webfact

1 hour ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a Thai trying to launch a spacecraft - they can barely drive road vehicles. It'll probably crash into the moon or hit a satellite.

Once they've lit the blue touch-paper, stand well back, and don't return to it - you should be ok...

3 hours ago, nikmar said:

Surely a better way to show the world how developed Thailand is would be to develop the education system. Or is that too logical?

Why on earth, pun intended, would you bring common sense into it ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nikmar said:

Surely a better way to show the world how developed Thailand is would be to develop the education system. Or is that too logical?

I agree but also the only way Thailand will ever stop the daily massacres' on the roads will be with on the road policing of traffic law offenders.  Get traffic police busy and maybe these traffic stops with stiff enough fines to deter future offences will prevent future accidents.

• Like 1

RE - Thais far from over the moon with govt plans to launch its own space program

* What else can one expect from a government that does not have its feet on the ground ...

• Thanks 1

They should get TAT on board....with the figures those clowns "dream up"....theyd b e able to get there and back in a matter of minutes...or hours!...I mean they just "invent" numbers and figures,,,,,they could just pluck up out of the air..any numbers/figures they need as to distance/time etc needed to get there and back!.....they do it on an hourly basis! lol!

Cloud cuckoo land springs to mind to me.

Edited by welshguy

Moronic anniuncements just getting more moronic ????????????

Famous concepts of brake failure and stray dogs to be applied as explanations to crashes in outer space too! 

And in case this fails in any way, of course it is because of a farang! 

It took some time today to give me my daily dose of smile 

from ThaiVisa, but I finally got it! As many have already stated,

there`s plenty of space between their ears!!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

As a space scientist/engineer, I always like to read about proposed space projects.  But these proposals are ill-placed.  Building and sending a rocket to orbit the moon is a rather expensive project, which will most likely not further scientific knowledge about the moon/space one iota.

If they really want to invest in space projects, why not establish educational courses for school and college students to design and build 'cubesats', which are mini-satellites that can be launched piggy-back on a rocket that launches larger satellites.  India recently launched more than 100 different college/university cubesats on one of their rockets. 

The launch cost for each cubesat is about $20,000 (I know, because I have a place booked on a rocket to launch my own cubesat that I've designed and am building on my kitchen table!).

By the way Thailand, when you advertised in 2002 for someone with satellite/space systems qualifications and industry experience to head up your fledgling space sector organisation, IMHO you did yourself no favours by rejecting my job application on the grounds that I wasn't a Thai citizen...... Now the 'kudos' will go to Laos where I now live, and whom I will credit when my little Cubesat is launched ????

Hm,..And what scientific interest or advancement would there be in your Cubeseat ????

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

There's every chance they will hit a satellite on the way out of Earth's orbit......????....????️....????

And threaten it with a loaded gun if it won't let them overtake after they have tailgated it for 5 minutes, aggressively flashing their headlights.

• Haha 2

I didn't know that Japan and South Korea have sent anything to the moon yet.

Anyway, Thailand should take care of poverty in Thailand first, a lot of people are unemployed and some even die during winter in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

As a space scientist/engineer, I always like to read about proposed space projects.  But these proposals are ill-placed.  Building and sending a rocket to orbit the moon is a rather expensive project, which will most likely not further scientific knowledge about the moon/space one iota.

If they really want to invest in space projects, why not establish educational courses for school and college students to design and build 'cubesats', which are mini-satellites that can be launched piggy-back on a rocket that launches larger satellites.  India recently launched more than 100 different college/university cubesats on one of their rockets. 

The launch cost for each cubesat is about $20,000 (I know, because I have a place booked on a rocket to launch my own cubesat that I've designed and am building on my kitchen table!).

By the way Thailand, when you advertised in 2002 for someone with satellite/space systems qualifications and industry experience to head up your fledgling space sector organisation, IMHO you did yourself no favours by rejecting my job application on the grounds that I wasn't a Thai citizen...... Now the 'kudos' will go to Laos where I now live, and whom I will credit when my little Cubesat is launched ????

Is there anything you haven't done?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Government plans for Thailand to build and launch its own spacecraft to fly to and orbit the moon have been met with a barrage of criticism online...

...because the moon would then be getting more tourism than Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... within seven years, the Thai government will have built its own spacecraft.
Time to start learn welding and connecting wires.
PM will write the software ?
Who will resque and bring them back from the moon again? ????

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais far from over the moon with govt plans to launch its own space program

49702731826_11bbd0609f_k.jpg

Image: United Launch Alliance photo - file photo

Government plans for Thailand to build and launch its own spacecraft to fly to and orbit the moon have been met with a barrage of criticism online.

On Monday, Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, Dr Anek Laothamatas, said that Thailand will launch its own space program as early as next month and that within seven years, the Thai government will have built its own spacecraft.

He said that Thailand will follow other Asian nations such as China, India, Japan, and South Korea in sending a spacecraft to the moon.

Dr Anek made the announcement about Thailand’s ambitious plans to fly to the moon at a press briefing regarding the COVID situation in Thailand and the progress the country has made regarding a possible vaccination.

“Besides the important announcement of Covid-19 vaccine production, we also proudly announce that Thailand will be the fifth nation in Asia that will be able to build a spacecraft and send it to orbit the moon,” he said. 

“The Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation and the Thai government will move forward for the future of our country. The project will forever change the whole perspective of Thai people that Thailand is no longer a developing country but is a country with a future, opportunity, and hope.”

However, the plans were widely criticised by all corners of Thai society, with those commenting saying the government should focus its efforts on more pressing priorities.

One detractor included famous Thai singer Pharunyoo “Tack” Rojanawuthitham, who said the money used for the space program should be spent elsewhere.

According to Sanook, Tack took to Instagram to ask: “Before going to the moon do you want to complete Rama 2 road first?”

“Why don’t we use the budget for other essential schemes?”, he added.

Meanwhile, opposition MP Vanvaree Talomsin took to Twitter to urge the government to tackle the pollution crisis in the Thai capital rather than try and fly to the moon.

Other Thais commenting online said the government should focus on helping people left jobless due to the COVID-19 pandemic, while one poster said the minister was “daydreaming”.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-16

It would seem the Gov thinks that the tourism is gonna come from Mars .. That would be in line with normal ministerial thinking .. SPEND THE MONEY FEEDING THE POOR

This is an attempt to buy more from china and make Thailand a puppet regime to china.

The only countries trying to get to the moon are china and india. Has anyone looked at how their economy is.

Then on the other hand please start this it will give the thai opposition more fuel in 5 years.

• Like 2