Thais far from over the moon with govt plans to launch its own space program

webfact

fix the electric grid.

solve the air pollution issue (stop the burning).

enforce the laws already on the books prior to enacting new ones.

there are lots of things which can/should be done before Major Tom(boy) looks to the moon.  I mean:  get real, Thailand!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais far from over the moon with govt plans to launch its own space program

49702731826_11bbd0609f_k.jpg

Image: United Launch Alliance photo - file photo

Government plans for Thailand to build and launch its own spacecraft to fly to and orbit the moon have been met with a barrage of criticism online.

On Monday, Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, Dr Anek Laothamatas, said that Thailand will launch its own space program as early as next month and that within seven years, the Thai government will have built its own spacecraft.

He said that Thailand will follow other Asian nations such as China, India, Japan, and South Korea in sending a spacecraft to the moon.

Dr Anek made the announcement about Thailand’s ambitious plans to fly to the moon at a press briefing regarding the COVID situation in Thailand and the progress the country has made regarding a possible vaccination.

“Besides the important announcement of Covid-19 vaccine production, we also proudly announce that Thailand will be the fifth nation in Asia that will be able to build a spacecraft and send it to orbit the moon,” he said. 

“The Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation and the Thai government will move forward for the future of our country. The project will forever change the whole perspective of Thai people that Thailand is no longer a developing country but is a country with a future, opportunity, and hope.”

However, the plans were widely criticised by all corners of Thai society, with those commenting saying the government should focus its efforts on more pressing priorities.

One detractor included famous Thai singer Pharunyoo “Tack” Rojanawuthitham, who said the money used for the space program should be spent elsewhere.

According to Sanook, Tack took to Instagram to ask: “Before going to the moon do you want to complete Rama 2 road first?”

“Why don’t we use the budget for other essential schemes?”, he added.

Meanwhile, opposition MP Vanvaree Talomsin took to Twitter to urge the government to tackle the pollution crisis in the Thai capital rather than try and fly to the moon.

Other Thais commenting online said the government should focus on helping people left jobless due to the COVID-19 pandemic, while one poster said the minister was “daydreaming”.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-16

More Fuel for the anti Government  protesters,ìf the Government cant feed its people here on Planet Earth,what chance have they got of getting a rocket off the ground,plus they wonnt be able to follow in line with other Asian Countries,such as the one's mentioned in the article,those countries' have highly educated people at the helm of their Space Programs,can you imagine finding that level of  educated person in Thailand,when you have the like of Anutin as Health Minister.

• Like 1

This is the funniest thing I ever read. 5555 can you imagine Thai space program? Sponsor by Mackro, Red Bull and Nui Soup Kitchen on Nana. Lol 

1,400 people die each year on the roads, bad schools, pollution and plastic everywhere!! And they want a space program?? For what ?? G7 sponsor by True??

• Confused 1

Space program, a new Lab at Chula to make a Covid Vaccine, new Subs, new Stryker vehicles for the Military.  A new plane for the PM and cabinet to fly in.....and the idiocy continues to expand while the people are unemployed, no tourism for the foreseeable future, the borders being porous, and of course more programs to bring money into the pockets of the wealthy with the baht still climbing.  Maybe that's what the space program is for to house the Baht as it's meteoric rise continues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Can't offer even modest social programs to its people, but it can afford to go to outer space. Certainly a wise use of public funds. The more I see of Thailand's public policy, the sicker I get. Totally irresponsible.

and  very similar or a copycat  from China

• Like 2

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

As a space scientist/engineer, I always like to read about proposed space projects.  But these proposals are ill-placed.  Building and sending a rocket to orbit the moon is a rather expensive project, which will most likely not further scientific knowledge about the moon/space one iota.

Well you think you know it all but let me tell you,a few years from now there will be a submarine being unused somewhere and it can't be too difficult to tie a few rockets to it and send it off into orbit.

I know of a few people i would like to see aboard that rocket ship.

You truly seem to  under estimate the Thai government,they have some very smart people and a few more not so smart.

I just see there are a few people who also see the potential in using submarines,i mean,what could go wrong?

Edited by jvs
  • Haha 1

'fly me to the moon and let me swing upon a star'  ahh those golden oldies.well seems like this lot have been swinging from the chandeliers it must be the guys whove grown all that legal weed,dont smoke your own supply ,the old dealers credo,it never ends well.theyre totally off their heads.morons.whats next 20 mill tourists next year,the money to buy the virus vaccine- i m sure the thai govt wants it cheap or someone else to pay for it,so......sunk that boat aint yer and its got no chinese on it this time.ive got t shirts with higher IQs than this lot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, all the Thais sleeping on park benches will be able to proudly look up to the moon, (if pollution allows) happily knowing theres a Thai spaceship up on the moon 

Reality . They never like it . They study how to lie and lay and...