Thai man sets fire to municipal council chief after she refuses to help him over a debt

webfact

Thai man sets fire to municipal council chief after she refuses to help him over a debt

5pm.jpg

The chief of the Bang Len, Nonthaburi municipal council is fighting for her life in Bumrungrad hospital in bangkok after she was doused in gasoline and set on fire at a house in Bang Yai. 

The assailant is a 33 year old Thai man who went to her house to appeal for help in reclaiming a debt from a council employee. After she had a go at him he went to a gas station and bought fuel. He was arrested at a relative's house nearby.

Bang Yai police were called at 1pm yesterday after a report that a woman had been set on fire at a one story wooden house used as a grocer's in Soi Bang Len 1, Bang Len sub-district, Bang Yai. 

Sureerat Janla, 59, the chief of the Bang Len municipal council had 80% burns. She was rushed to Kasemrad International Hospital but due to the serious nature of her injuries she was soon transferred to Bumrungrad in downtown Bangkok. She is being treated in a sterile environment. 

It soon became apparent that the assailant was 33 year old Traithep Jenjai or "Non" who was picked up at his sister-in-law's house in Muang Nonthaburi. He reeked of gasoline.

He said that he had gone to Sureerat's house to seek her help in reclaiming 5,000 baht that was owed to him by a man called Fon, a driver in the Bang Len health and environment division. 

He said that Sureerat verbally abused and swore at him. This made him cross.

So he went with a gas canister to the PTT gas station on Rattanathibet Road and got fuel then went back to the house and set her on fire. 

His shirt and pants were also ignited in the blaze, he said. 

After this he went to his relative's place where he was arrested. 

He refused to be taken on a reenactment citing fears for his safety.   

He now faces prosecution, reported Daily News who did not mention what the charge would be. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-17

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

The fragile mind of the Thai male rears its ugly head yet again.

Objectively, this is so true, a lot of Thai males in my humble opinion have what I call 'ham san' syndrome. I'm a small man, but damn some of these guys are about as bad as school boys. Don't <deleted> em off either..hell, you can do that without even looking at them...Excuse me while I go watch Friends...joking

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

With 80% burns? She could be lucky to survive. According to info on the US National Institutes of Health website:

I suffered 55% burns due to a underground explosion and I was lucky to live  80% my god horrific Hang the guy 

On 12/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, webfact said:

He said that he had gone to Sureerat's house to seek her help in reclaiming 5,000 baht that was owed to him by a man called Fon, a driver in the Bang Len health and environment division. 

He said that Sureerat verbally abused and swore at him

I think most us us have come across "ladies" like that at some time in the past.  

Perhaps setting her on fire was a bit extreme but I bet she will be more a little more polite and compassionate to others in the future.   

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

I think most us us have come across "ladies" like that at some time in the past.  

Perhaps setting her on fire was a bit extreme but I bet she will be more a little more polite and compassionate to others in the future.   

That's an amazingly, stunningly insensitive observation. This poor woman will actually be extremely lucky to survive burns covering 80% of her total body surface area (TBSA) and even if she does survive, will almost certainly have permanent, serious health issues and disfiguring scars. 

• Like 1