Objective is multiple entry non immigrant visa - what are my options in 2021 ?

UK based, I don't have much time before I want to leave just after New Year so I am looking at my options. I would appreciate any critique on the below options:

1) Apply for retirement. Issues - would have to wait for police check and get a medical certificate. Also don't have 800k in a Thai account right now. I have more than 800k in UK accounts. No property lease at present.

2) Get a tourist visa and convert to retirement. Issues - would I then need 800k in Thai account ? Seasoning at the time of conversion ? No property lease at present.

3) As parent of a Thai child. Issues - seems to be single entry, paperwork looks ok but unsure if it can be changed to multiple entry ? Also, does child only have to be on house book or actually physically present in Thailand ?

4) Is there something I haven't thought of ?

I used to just get annual B visas but now they want a sponsoring Thai company instead of just my UK companies. As trips were for less than 90 days, that was ideal.

My embassy (finland) has NON-O single (90 days) based on retirement.. Only need to be 50 years or older and 25 K euros in homecountry. No need for police report etc. This can be changed to extension in Thailand but then of cource money has to be there. One has 1 month time to get thai bank account and make transfer because seasoning time for first application is 2 months.

As for "multiple entry" you can buy re-entry permit single or multiple.

Check if you have this available..

Conversion from tourist visa depends where you are going to go. Not all immigration offices do this what i have heard. Places like Pattaya are fine. 

How long are you going for? An option with minimal initial paperwork UK end if pushed for time:

1. Enter visa exempt
  2. Convert to Non-O for retirement (at least 15 days before permission to stay ends so doable if the pending 45 days instead of 30 is enacted, if not need to extend) - need 800K in Thai bank the day you apply
  3. Apply for extension to stay (up to 30 days before permission to stay ends) - need the 800K to have been seasoned for 2 months

10 minutes ago, thaitero said:

One has 1 month time to get thai bank account and make transfer because seasoning time for first application is 2 months

Make that 14 days ... quarantine cuts into the time. Still easily doable.

30 minutes ago, Salerno said:

How long are you going for? An option with minimal initial paperwork UK end if pushed for time:

1. Enter visa exempt
  2. Convert to Non-O for retirement (at least 15 days before permission to stay ends so doable if the pending 45 days instead of 30 is enacted, if not need to extend) - need 800K in Thai bank the day you apply
  3. Apply for extension to stay (up to 30 days before permission to stay ends) - need the 800K to have been seasoned for 2 months

That doesn't work.

I just had COE refused because my return flight was not within 30 days and of course, the entry stamp on exemption is only 30 days ???? 

There won't be 15 days and the 45 days may never come.

I don't want to put 800k in a Thai bank account as I have no intention of living there. I just want a simple annual non immigrant visa. I am happy to show an income elsewhere of >65k or more than 800k in a bank but not in Thailand and not >65k sent to Thailand every month as I have not need of that money in THB.

35 minutes ago, thaitero said:

My embassy (finland) has NON-O single (90 days) based on retirement.. Only need to be 50 years or older and 25 K euros in homecountry. No need for police report etc. This can be changed to extension in Thailand but then of cource money has to be there. One has 1 month time to get thai bank account and make transfer because seasoning time for first application is 2 months.

As for "multiple entry" you can buy re-entry permit single or multiple.

Check if you have this available..

Conversion from tourist visa depends where you are going to go. Not all immigration offices do this what i have heard. Places like Pattaya are fine. 

Perhaps slightly similar in the UK but I am not going to be staying there for months. I will leave 45 days after quarantine. I just want the ability to be able to go back at will throughout the year without having to apply for a tourist visa every time or going to immigration (twice) for an extension.

2 minutes ago, SGD said:

I just had COE refused because my return flight was not within 30 days and of course, the entry stamp on exemption is only 30 days ???? 

There won't be 15 days and the 45 days may never come.

Most people get around the flight issue with a cheap throwaway ticket or one that can be cancelled for free on arrival.

Personally I'd put money on the 45 days but even if it didn't eventuate easy enough to extend to get the extra days.

5 minutes ago, SGD said:

I don't want to put 800k in a Thai bank account as I have no intention of living there. I just want a simple annual non immigrant visa. I am happy to show an income elsewhere of >65k or more than 800k in a bank but not in Thailand and not >65k sent to Thailand every month as I have not need of that money in THB.

Non-OA then, but you have to deal with the extra paperwork. Can get nearly 2 years out of it.

Given you appear to have time constraints at the moment, and things will be closed over Christmas/New Year, I'd be biting the bullet on this trip and just going SETV or exempt and then sorting out the optimum solution for next trip.

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Most people get around the flight issue with a cheap throwaway ticket or one that can be cancelled for free on arrival.

Personally I'd put money on the 45 days but even if it didn't eventuate easy enough to extend to get the extra days.

Non-OA then, but you have to deal with the extra paperwork. Can get nearly 2 years out of it.

Given you appear to have time constraints at the moment, and things will be closed over Christmas/New Year, I'd be biting the bullet on this trip and just going SETV or exempt and then sorting out the optimum solution for next trip.

Yes, I could get a refundable ticket going somewhere else but that still leaves me having to go to immigration twice to extend.

I know but it doesn't matter if you put money on the 45 day because as of today, it does not exist. I want to stay 60 days including my quarantine.

I have spoken to people who have converted to Non-OA as per retirement within country and without using a dodgy agent. There seems to be some less paperwork required if in country.

What about finances for Non-OA in the UK ? If obtaining before you travel, then surely you cannot be expected to have funds in a Thai account for 3 months previously. Equally, you might not have been sending money overseas for months. So can you show UK based income to get the OA from the UK initially and then somehow do the income thing for the second year ?

14 minutes ago, SGD said:

So can you show UK based income to get the OA from the UK initially and then somehow do the income thing for the second year ?

Yeah, that's the plus side of it no need to have any money in Thailand whatsoever (just have to show money in your home account).

The downside is needing to get the dodgy Thai insurance and the plethora of paperwork:

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

• Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages

• A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

Note: 

- Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary. 

The second year, from what I'm gathering in your case, wouldn't be realistic come to think about it. People say you can get virtually two years out of it but that's people not flying in and out as much as you intend to - the rationale of those people as I understand it is you leave and reenter just before the year is up and you get stamped in for another 12 months, but they are basically looking to live in Thailand. Depending on how you time it you'd get one trip over the 12 months (arrive back just before it expires) so a slight benefit for the hassle.

Still, it covers your 12 month multi entry I guess.

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

The second year, from what I'm gathering in your case, wouldn't be realistic come to think about it.

If he re-enters just before the O-A expires, then obtains a multi-re-entry permit, that would work okay. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

If he re-enters just before the O-A expires, then obtains a multi-re-entry permit, that would work okay. 

Does that work (bearing in mind it's multi-entry anyway)? All the people I've seen posting about it appear to be basically living in LOS rather than travelling around. I'd have thought that once you leave after the initial 12 months is up then it would be invalid.

If it does work that way then the paperwork hassle would be worth it.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Does that work (bearing in mind it's multi-entry anyway)?

Well it is only multi-entry for the year it is valid, I just thought it beneficial to make use of that 'second years' permit to stay by keeping it alive with re-entry permit(s). 

Not sure how the insurance requirement comes into play though, if at all. 

22 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Yeah, that's the plus side of it no need to have any money in Thailand whatsoever (just have to show money in your home account).

The downside is needing to get the dodgy Thai insurance and the plethora of paperwork:

The second year, from what I'm gathering in your case, wouldn't be realistic come to think about it. People say you can get virtually two years out of it but that's people not flying in and out as much as you intend to - the rationale of those people as I understand it is you leave and reenter just before the year is up and you get stamped in for another 12 months, but they are basically looking to live in Thailand. Depending on how you time it you'd get one trip over the 12 months (arrive back just before it expires) so a slight benefit for the hassle.

Still, it covers your 12 month multi entry I guess.

The insurance side isn't a real issue as you only need that for 90 days I think and that's because your only getting stamped in for 90 days. My annual policy covers trips up to 90 days which is more than I would likely ever do and has way more cover than needed.

So we seem to be circling the retirement visa starting from the UK. OK

So we need:

Passport - I have enough validity and pages

Police check - ok, I see it online. Can expedite for more money

Insurance - need to confirm if 90 days or 365 days needed - I have an annual policy but not 365 days per trip. Can't see them understanding that.

Money - covered - I have more than the £20k or £1625 a month

Doctor's certificate - I'll email my GP

Have I missed anything ?

What about residence ? Doesn't appear needed at this time

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well it is only multi-entry for the year it is valid, I just thought it beneficial to make use of that 'second years' permit to stay by keeping it alive with re-entry permit(s). 

Not sure how the insurance requirement comes into play though, if at all. 

My understanding was that basically it is not multi entry but that you can request multi entry and from memory, the additional cost was Bt4000.

Whether you can get multi entry straight off or convert in Thailand I do not know but the annual extension based on retirement had the option for a cost.

3 minutes ago, SGD said:

My understanding was that basically it is not multi entry but that you can request multi entry and from memory, the additional cost was Bt4000.

Whether you can get multi entry straight off or convert in Thailand I do not know but the annual extension based on retirement had the option for a cost.

My post above was in response to Salerno and focused on a Non-Imm OA Visa, which is always a Multiple Entry.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Then just get a single entry tourist visa, this gives you 60 days.

I know I can do that but the topic of this thread is to get a multi entry non imm visa like the B visas I had for years. Simple in and out, stay however long you want (ok - 90 days then report),  no trips to immigration, no need to get future visas etc.

I am looking past the next trip into the 6+ trips I make each year. I don't want to send my passport on holiday 6 times etc.

5 minutes ago, SGD said:

I am looking past the next trip into the 6+ trips I make each year. I don't want to send my passport on holiday 6 times etc.

6 trips means 6 times quarantine for 15 days, you are going to spend 3 months in quarantine out of year?

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

6 trips means 6 times quarantine for 15 days, you are going to spend 3 months in quarantine out of year?

There won't be quarantine all year. Even if there were, then yes, I would have to do it though I may cancel one or two trips.

I see quarantine going down in days, to 7 or 10 but eventually, maybe you test before you fly and then test on arrival and they accept that is enough. 

@SGD

They used to offer the Non O multi entry Visa for those married or Thai family, but they now only offer the single entry Non O.

The only multiple entry Visa available based on retirement is the Non O-A.

The O-A is multi entry, valid for 1 year. Each entry grants permission of stay for 1 year. Come and go as you please during it's validity and each time you'll be granted a 1 year stay. No funds needed in a Thai bank.

You can get up to two years stay/entries with a Non O-A Visa.

Example;

Visa issued issued 6/1/2021 valid until 5/1/2022.

Each entry you will receive a stamp allowing a stay of 1 year, so if you entered 4/1/22 during the Visas validity, you'd be stamped in for another year until 3/1/2023.

However when the Visa expires on 5/1/2022, so does the multi entry facility, which is why you purchase a multi re-entry permit for the second year.

This then allows you to enter as many times as you wish up to 5/1/2022, but on each entry you will only be stamped in again until 5/1/2022 when your permission of stay will expire.

Your current medical Insurance may not meet the requirements or be acceptable, in which case you would also need to purchase one of the Thai approved Health Insurance policies.

In any event Immigration will only permit you to stay for the validity of your Insurance policy.

The only other option (without having to deposit funds in a Thai bank) is the Tourist Visa.

Allows a 60 day stay, but can be extended for a further 30 days if required.

You may eventually run into problems if you keep entering on that Visa type and be questioned by entry clearance officers.

From your itinerary, it sounds as though you want to stay in Thailand more than in the UK, but negate the financial requirements for staying here. 

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

The O-A is multi entry, valid for 1 year. Each entry grants permission of stay for 1 year. Come and go as you please during it's validity and each time you'll be granted a 1 year stay. No funds needed in a Thai bank.

You can get up to two years stay/entries with a Non O-A Visa.

Example;

Visa issued issued 6/1/2021 valid until 5/1/2022.

Each entry you will receive a stamp allowing a stay of 1 year, so if you entered 4/1/22 during the Visas validity, you'd be stamped in for another year until 3/1/2023.

However when the Visa expires on 5/1/2022, so does the multi entry facility, which is why you purchase a multi re-entry permit for the second year.

This then allows you to enter as many times as you wish up to 5/1/2022, but on each entry you will only be stamped in again until 5/1/2022 when your permission of stay will expire.

This sounds good, thank you. I understand the logic now. Each extension, for 12 months, would need the multiple entry permit as only the original entry would be on a visa.

Your current medical Insurance may not meet the requirements or be acceptable, in which case you would also need to purchase one of the Thai approved Health Insurance policies.

In any event Immigration will only permit you to stay for the validity of your Insurance policy.

That could be but it is annual and auto renewed so it does not have an end or expiry date. That Thai <deleted> for 600k of nothing is pointless but I understand I may need to tweak this. IF you are stamped for 12 months and not 90 days then of course any insurance requirement will need to be for 365 days.

From your itinerary, it sounds as though you want to stay in Thailand more than in the UK, but negate the financial requirements for staying here. 

Nothing could be further from the truth. I own companies, so my income is tax efficient and simply dumping money somewhere seems silly, though an option I grant you. Sending money every month to Thailand is a meaningless task when I now just send £5/10k as needed. I am trying to make life simpler, not more difficult. I couldn't explain it to Somchai at immigration; how would they understand ? multi company tax strategy is way beyond their comprehension.

If sending >65k per month, how many months do they wish to see this happen before converting to an extension to stay in Thailand ?

Either just put up with single entries until Savannakhet or Ho Chi Minh are open again and then go for a multi Non O

Or:

Get a single entry tourist visa/Non O in the UK and get a re-entry permit once you're in Thailand.  I believe that's possible and will at least give you 2 entries.

One would hope things will start to get back to normal next summer.

23 hours ago, SGD said:

If sending >65k per month, how many months do they wish to see this happen before converting to an extension to stay in Thailand ?

If your intention was to apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement, I'd strongly recommend you enter on a single entry Non O Visa obtained in the UK, which will grant you a stay of 90 days.

Within the last 30 days (45 days at some IO's), you can apply for the 1 year extension.

For the first application, using the 65K method, they would need proof of 2 X 65K overseas transfers.

For subsequent extensions, they would require proof of 12 X 65K overseas transfers.

Although the Non O is single entry and therefore 'USED' on entry, you can purchase a single entry re-entry permit allowing you to leave and return during that 90 day period to protect your 90 day permission of stay.

When applying for a 1 year extension you can similarly purchase a multi entry re-entry permit which will protect your 365 day permission of stay when leaving and re-entering.

Note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. If you wish to stay longer than such period, you may apply to extend that permission of stay for longer periods (up to 365 days) subject to meeting any required financial requirements.

Archived