SURVEY: How long before tourism returns to normal?

Scott

SURVEY: How long before tourism returns to normal?  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is required to make tourists think about coming here, there is nothing for them to come here right now, too much is closed and what is open is not always what it seems, restaurants selling food to customers that is past its sell by date, out of the blue " no alcohol today" days, there are 24 on the cards for 2021 and no doubt there will be mores surprises to come. Quarantine is another reason  to put you off. Special Insurance requirements do not help either and there is the exchange rate, not much we or tourists can do about it but the Government might, they talk a lot but nothing happens so there are many more options for a tourist than to come to Thailand. when things do start up again which I think will be slowly in about a years time, he says optimistically, then tourists will have the world begging them to come to..........xxxxx, Thailand needs to understand the word competition.

• Like 1

ALERT ALERT! Covid-19 successor which is %70 TIME MORE CONTAGIOUS is already here, just in time to squash the Pfizer and Moderna efforts. Be scared everyone, better get back inside your home, close up those shops, one more round of lockdowns coming right up! We can do this! just a few more months to flatten the curve for this new strain VUI202012/01 straight out of UK. You naughty naughty Brits! Now look what you all have done:

https://www.gisaid.org/references/gisaid-in-the-news/uk-reports-new-variant-termed-vui-20201201/

Aw Shucks we almost beat corona-19 guys, but it got the best of us and managed to mutate and we are now losing the battle, the only answer now is more lockdowns, more social distancing more masks and another round of vaccine research and development, buckle down everyone we are not out of this yet, this may be a rough 2021.

Tourism?!?! How can you all be so selfish?!?!? People are dying worldwide of this global pandemic and all you can think about is when tourism will come back?!?!? Have some heart for pete's sake! Have you not noticed what a grave and serious catastrophe we are in!

Edited by greenhornfarang
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, greenhornfarang said:

ALERT ALERT! Covid-19 successor which is %70 TIME MORE CONTAGIOUS is already here, just in time to squash the Pfizer and Moderna efforts. Be scared everyone, better get back inside your home, close up those shops, one more round of lockdowns coming right up! We can do this! just a few more months to flatten the curve for this new strain VUI202012/01 straight out of UK. You naughty naughty Brits! Now look what you all have done:

https://www.gisaid.org/references/gisaid-in-the-news/uk-reports-new-variant-termed-vui-20201201/

Aw Shucks we almost beat corona-19 guys, but it got the best of us and managed to mutate and we are now losing the battle, the only answer now is more lockdowns, more social distancing more masks and another round of vaccine research and development, buckle down everyone we are not out of this yet, this may be a rough 2021.

Tourism?!?! How can you all be so selfish?!?!? People are dying worldwide of this global pandemic and all you can think about is when tourism will come back?!?!? Have some heart for pete's sake! Have you not noticed what a grave and serious catastrophe we are in!

This is because all of the stubborn anti-vaxers. Time to line them up and put a bar-code on their heads, strip them from any free movement and go after their families unless they are willing to take the vaccine. If you are being a selfish human being, you will be met by selfish choices.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If the Government want the tourists back they will have to compromise on Quarantine costs.... first try 50%/50%.... if that doesn't work then they will have to foot the bill and then you will see a marked increase in numbers return.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It won't, certainly not for as long as the current regime, and those it is beholden to, are calling the shots.

"Normal tourism" relies on relatively easy access, and freedom once here to go where you like and do what you want, eat where you like, stay where you like and shop where you like.

Current measures are designed to curtail and direct those activities, to the economic benefit of a select few.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

It won't, certainly not for as long as the current regime, and those it is beholden to, are calling the shots.

"Normal tourism" relies on relatively easy access, and freedom once here to go where you like and do what you want, eat where you like, stay where you like and shop where you like.

Current measures are designed to curtail and direct those activities, to the economic benefit of a select few.

I don't think you can blame the current regime on for this pandemic.  Most countries here in Asia are locked down and have been for a long time.  Tough times call for tough actions.  Sure, they've made some mistakes, but for sure they have done better than most countries in the West.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 9:11 PM, greenhornfarang said:

Mass tourism -- this will forever be just a memory of how things used to be in the past, a sweet dream that some of us were fortunate enough to have experienced before all this. RIP walking street, what is the point of living anymore ????

I can understand your negativity when you see walking street dissapearing is a huge loss. Truly feel sorry for you ????

If Pattaya became a 100% family destination the next 10 years, seriously anyone think that is a huge loss for the tourism here in Thailand? 

Pattayas red light districts is all they got? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

I can understand your negativity when you see walking street dissapearing is a huge loss. Truly feel sorry for you ????

If Pattaya became a 100% family destination the next 10 years, seriously anyone think that is a huge loss for the tourism here in Thailand? 

It will be loss for some people but certainly not for Thailand, the exception being that Thailand will be better off if those who think the red light area is important no longer find Thailand attractive. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Cobra666 said:

This is because all of the stubborn anti-vaxers. Time to line them up and put a bar-code on their heads, strip them from any free movement and go after their families unless they are willing to take the vaccine. If you are being a selfish human being, you will be met by selfish choices.

%100 with you sir!!! Anyone who is not willing to be guinea pig for a vaccine that was developed yesterday, to cure a disease that has 99% recovery rate, and any Trump supporter, their families and children should be caught put into camps of some sort and dealt with accordingly.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Tagged said:

Two years, and everything will be as normal. 

By end of 2022 the population will be vaccined, and as said before the infrastructure with everything tourists will need is in place. 

Everything else is to pessimistic, and people back home just dying to jump on the first plane to come here to get some sun, diving, climbing, golfing, hiking, or to go to Pattaya and drink beer throughout their whole holiday. Nothing will change unless Cambodia or any other country come up with better and cheaper holidays and convinient routes to get here. BKK is for many the easiest destination and with good infrastructure throuhgout the country easy to travel when first here. 

I do disagree , tourism in Thailand was in decline even before Covid .

Every year the tourist season seemed to getting shorter and shorter , the tourist season used to last from September to March and then it was low season .

In the last few years , tourist season was December and January and low season for the rest of the year .

Thailand's high prices , drinking restrictions , even difficulty getting visas and various other reasons are some  reasons why Thailand may never again be what it once was .

Over the years , how many "Final nail in the coffin" has there  been ? 

Put all those nails together and we have the current situation 

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I do disagree , tourism in Thailand was in decline even before Covid .

Every year the tourist season seemed to getting shorter and shorter , the tourist season used to last from September to March and then it was low season .

In the last few years , tourist season was December and January and low season for the rest of the year .

Thailand's high prices , drinking restrictions , even difficulty getting visas and various other reasons are some  reasons why Thailand may never again be what it once was .

Over the years , how many "Final nail in the coffin" has there  been ? 

Put all those nails together and we have the current situation 

You have to remember thailand have been available to alot more people at the same time the old tourist destinations have grown out of propotions. I remember Krabi, Phuket, Kanchanaburi and Hua Hin 15 years ago? Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Koh Tao? 

Tourists just have bigger space to move around than a few limited streets and shopping malls. 

But no doubt people on low wages and pentions find Thailand now expensive compare to before, but then most places with some kind of infrastructure will be to expensive for them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tagged said:

Walking Street changed my life, I rarely traveled before and coming across Walking Street YouTube videos is what attracted me to get onto a 36 hour flight and come to Thailand for the first time in November 2019 and for the second time in February 2020. Thanks to Walking Street I discovered and fell in love with Thai culture, Thai people, Thai food, TVF, Thai language. Thanks to Walking Street I have visited the following amazing places and had the time of my life:

Tiger Park (although it is sad to see caged animals, I got to play with baby tigers for 15 min), Floating Market, Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, Sanctuary of Truth, 

Ramayana Water Park, Windsurfing Club & Kitesurfing School Pattaya (wind surfing has to be the hardest sport I have ever tried but I love it now!), Big Buddha Temple, Silverlake Vineyard and probably some more I forgot.

Thanks to Walking Street I learned how to drive a scooter for the first time in one of the most chaotic driving conditions I have ever experienced and I loved every second of it. Nothing feels more like living life on the edge then trying to learn how to ride a scooter on Soi Buakhao after sunset.

But most importantly, Thanks to Walking Street, I met my teerak in February, with whom I then revisited 1/2 of the above mentioned tourist attractions + Hua Hin. 

For some reason the entire experience had permanent profound changes in my life, I am in the best shape in my life physically and mentally, I was able to quit drugs and owe it all to Thailand, but I don't think I would have come if it was not for those YouTube videos of Walking Street.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, greenhornfarang said:

%100 with you sir!!! Anyone who is not willing to be guinea pig for a vaccine that was developed yesterday, to cure a disease that has 99% recovery rate, and any Trump supporter, their families and children should be caught put into camps of some sort and dealt with accordingly.

And have all their children removed and misplaced for ever. 

A lot of negativity here. Thai Tourism will return to normal, when the compulsory quarantine is lifted and that is just a question of time, it might take 1 year, maybe even 2 years, I don’t think more than 2 years because then people will enter with a vaccination pass and Corona all over the world will be under control 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Misab said:

A lot of negativity here. Thai Tourism will return to normal, when the compulsory quarantine is lifted and that is just a question of time, it might take 1 year, maybe even 2 years, I don’t think more than 2 years because then people will enter with a vaccination pass and Corona all over the world will be under control 

That will require two things to happen in addition to the COVID situation being under control; air travel returning to normal and complete recovery from the current economic disaster.

I think we will be looking at 3-4 years minimum given the state of the global economy before anything like normal service is resumed and even then I think mass tourism will have to be rethought and restructured to ever be feasible again.

• Like 1

It will be many years. And five or ten years from now, I doubt if Thailand will see 20 million tourists. Things are changing. The world is moving forward, and Thailand is moving backwards.

If you wanted to venture to an island destination, they are all devastated by this shutdown. Was recently in Samui. 85% of the hotels were closed. Most restaurants, alot of bars, shops and other businesses were closed many permanently. Granted, there are some great hotel bargains right now. But, that environment is fairly depressing, seeing so much hardship. 

So, the lame authorities here need to wrap their minds around that. Tourists would be coming to a hugely diminished destination.

Make some sacrifices, you incompetents. Lower luxury and wine taxes. Offer better English skills and expertise. Offer better F & B service. Adapt. Get with the program. Clean up the air. Deal with traffic congestion and super corrupt and incompetent law enforcement. So something. Anything. 

For the time being, if Thailand had a qualified health minister, and a slightly intelligent tourism minister, they would stop this nonsense, and realize no tourism program requiring quarantine will ever work. Period. 

The Thai army. Moving Thailand backwards, and inflicting untold pain on it's people. Time to go, guys. The people need competency, and they are speaking loudly now. The youth shall eventually prevail. Out with the dinosaur crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

For the time being, if Thailand had a qualified health minister, and a slightly intelligent tourism minister, they would stop this nonsense, and realize no tourism program requiring quarantine will ever work. Period. 

Im not deffending the tourist minister for what he have said, but Im asking you what do you believe should have been done for the tourism if you had the chance to decide? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tagged said:

You have to remember thailand have been available to alot more people at the same time the old tourist destinations have grown out of propotions. I remember Krabi, Phuket, Kanchanaburi and Hua Hin 15 years ago? Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Koh Tao? 

Tourists just have bigger space to move around than a few limited streets and shopping malls. 

But no doubt people on low wages and pentions find Thailand now expensive compare to before, but then most places with some kind of infrastructure will be to expensive for them. 

TL was a tourism centre until the scams and grifts became too common and too blatant. After that, TL went the same way as Spain , Greece and other places (including London). They killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Personally I doubt that China will fill the gap, and I serioufly doubt that Thais weill ever build a dependable high-speed train.

18 minutes ago, Glaswegian2 said:

TL was a tourism centre until the scams and grifts became too common and too blatant. After that, TL went the same way as Spain , Greece and other places (including London). They killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Personally I doubt that China will fill the gap, and I serioufly doubt that Thais weill ever build a dependable high-speed train.

I hear some complains, but really, what is the scams? I never ever had one single problem in Thailand. Been annoyed yes, but? 

Thailand is what it is, and yes it can become a better place, but to be true, I can live with it as it is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

Im not deffending the tourist minister for what he have said, but Im asking you what do you believe should have been done for the tourism if you had the chance to decide? 

Simple. So what Hawaii has been doing for months, with great success. 

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract to attract foreign tourists safely. First they need to figure out a way to attract tourism, WITHOUT quarantine. That is fairly simple. A very reliable lab based test in the home nation, with test results before you board the plane. Then a simple antigen test at the airport. It takes 15 minutes for results. Sure, Thailand would have to invest in the test kits. Some general would have to be willing to part with a few million dollars. Each test itself, only cost $5 with the new Abbott test, which is available now. Sure, there is some risk. But alot less risk than allowing millions to remain out of work for years. 

Then they could get on to reform. Sacrifices need to be made. I do not hear ANY discussion about what sacrifices Thailand is willing to make, to get the tourists, and that multi trillion baht cash cow back. A good place to start would be the submarines. Give them up. you going to do with them anyway? Who will pilot them? No subs for 60 years, and all of a sudden you have the expertise to pilot and maintain them? Hello. Show the people you care.  22 billion is the official number. But, since the first one is already up to 13 billion, the numbers simply do not add up. As usual. What about experience? Thailand has not had a sub for over 60 years. Who will pilot this sub? Who will maintain it? How much is the projected annual bill for repairs, and upkeep? Do you army guys care one iota about the people? Just be honest, for once, and admit that you don't. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

I hear some complains, but really, what is the scams? I never ever had one single problem in Thailand. Been annoyed yes, but? 

Thailand is what it is, and yes it can become a better place, but to be true, I can live with it as it is. 

The scams in TL are many and diverse. Nevertheless, if you can avoid them or ignoire them, then good luck. Many tourists cannot, which is the reason why they work in the first place - the con-artists are not so much after long-term residents as short-term tourists, though over the past 10 so years I've seen a marked change in the way many Thais treat and regard 'long-term' foreigners (especialy retired Europeans - if you want a good example, see some of the things Anutin has said and be careful not to say the same things about Thais).

It doesn't really trouble me much to be truthful, I guess they got fed up with seeing constant reminders that they're still a 'developing' country; still, now they can get back to thinking of themselves as all superior and stuff. They're still growing (emotionally and intellectually), best to let them get on with it I guess. Someone will tell us when that particular cake is baked.

10 minutes ago, Glaswegian2 said:

The scams in TL are many and diverse. Nevertheless, if you can avoid them or ignoire them, then good luck. Many tourists cannot, which is the reason why they work in the first place - the con-artists are not so much after long-term residents as short-term tourists, though over the past 10 so years I've seen a marked change in the way many Thais treat and regard 'long-term' foreigners (especialy retired Europeans - if you want a good example, see some of the things Anutin has said and be careful not to say the same things about Thais).

It doesn't really trouble me much to be truthful, I guess they got fed up with seeing constant reminders that they're still a 'developing' country; still, now they can get back to thinking of themselves as all superior and stuff. They're still growing (emotionally and intellectually), best to let them get on with it I guess. Someone will tell us when that particular cake is baked.

As you said, I was annoyed the two first trips I made here 15 years ago, but still the good experiences counted more than the bad ones. 

I learned one thing, and that was to stay away from speedboat trip to the famous beach and james bond island <deleted>.

Except from that you need a bit travel experience and common sense of course to maintain healthy mentality against the locals, if you live among them. 

On 12/22/2020 at 3:09 AM, talahtnut said:

Mate, its not all lost, you can join me in Grimsby,

and get short time with big Dockyard Doris.

The only reason I used to think Grimsby was great was because I lived in Sheffield.