Thailand to test over 10,000 people after record COVID-19 surge

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, rabas said:

20% of the number of cases who do have symptoms. Where are they?

Thailand has over 700 hospitals and a pharmacy within eyesight from any other pharmacy in the country and Thais self medicate. 

No one would even notice unless it was centralized to one or two hospitals, assuming the locals went in the first place and didn’t just self medicate and/or die at home from pneumonia like so many do every year during normal times.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Here's BNH's testing policy.  You should read it and get back to the doctors that gave you the wrong info.

https://www.bnhhospital.com/do-i-need-to-get-covid-19-test/

Look at it again and look all the way to the right, those columns all need to say yes in order to be tested.  Try again and stop wasting the air to puff out your chest to try and prove you know everything.  Epic fail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

True asymptomatic cases is now considered roughly 20%. As for theories of vast undetected covid-19 in Thailand, only the 20% figure matters

Whether you believe the 77% from London , or your 20% report - it makes NO DIFFERENCE to the point I was making. You have to test ALL people to stop ANY asymptomatic people getting through. 

1 hour ago, Miami007 said:

Yes PLEASE keep in perspective that European or American hospitals are usually running at 80-90% full to make money.  When elective procedures were stopped in April, some hospitals in Florida started laying off or furloughing staff as there were no patients.  The Hospital ship which docked in New York , the field hospitals in Central Park and the NYC Convention Center had no usage

Sorry to say, but the "relieving of stress on hospitals" also is guided by keeping the money coming into hospitals.

In Europe/ USA most cases are asymptomatic and that is creating the panic the media is spreading. 

Also, imagine that for 30 years plus they could not find a vaccine for HIV, SARS etc - now we found 5 or 6 in less than a year.  Imagine that and just look at the $$$$ to vaccinate 8 billion people (most likely every year or more often).  

There never was a vaccine developed for SARS 1,  because it just vanished.

But people who had it in 2003 still carry antibodies 17 years later. I know a few in Hong Kong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Look at it again and look all the way to the right, those columns all need to say yes in order to be tested.  Try again and stop wasting the air to puff out your chest to try and prove you know everything.  Epic fail.

Ummm...you posted this, I didn't.  Bad short term memory?

Was just at BNH and asked about testing was told unless I had breathing difficulties, a fever over 101, smell and taste issues as well as flu like symptoms they would not test.

Talk about an epic fail! :cheesy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sorry to stick a pin your bubble and burst it, but Thailand has been testing for months.  They can produce 100,000 test kits locally a month.

Even in our home countries, not everybody gets tested.  Thus, some get sick, end up at the hospital where they do testing, and....yup, you got it.  I think....

Yet they have only tested 1,200,000 out of 70,000,000. That is embarrassingly low for a country with such a population size. 

They also do not do random testing. When you only test those who come to the hospital to get tested, your numbers are going to be incredibly low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

There never was a vaccine developed for SARS 1,  because it just vanished.

But people who had it in 2003 still carry antibodies 17 years later. I know a few in Hong Kong.

Can you provide that reference and show where it states those particular antibodies provide immunity?  It's all complicated but I think they said other parts of the immune system faded rapidly. I don't think any of the coronaviruses have such long term immunity but I don't know where the paper is now.

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Time to close all the international borders (including all flights) again in order to reduce the number of Covid cases reported to the media.

Those coming from UK has an especially nasty mutated strain.

No sir, again i beg to differ. All incoming passengers are tested and quarantined. I do not think any genuine tourist is visiting now. Only those with compelling reasons like family, business , etc are visiting Thailand.

I think Thailand should take help of its army to secure and protect the porous borders. Recent cases were imported from Burma and this samut sakhon outbreak is also related to burmese people. May be some of them crossed border illegally, and spread the virus

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Whether you believe the 77% from London , or your 20% report - it makes NO DIFFERENCE to the point I was making. You have to test ALL people to stop ANY asymptomatic people getting through. 

All people every 2 to 3 days or so. And then you will still miss some. Targeted testing is used for countries with low numbers of cases or clusters. Mass testing is only cost effective in places like the US with uncontrolled spread. 

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sorry to stick a pin your bubble and burst it, but Thailand has been testing for months.  They can produce 100,000 test kits locally a month.

what is the use of producing those kits when they r nt using them. sending them to their daddies in a neighbouring big country? 

Thailand ranks 166 in terms of tests per million population. It's ranks near to countries like uganda, bangladesh , ghana etc etc. 

people should be tested if they have the slightest of the symptoms. Not all this  guidelines to keep the testing low. This is a pandemic. 

They let their gaurd down. They should have advised all hospitals to test anyone with any related symptoms to be on the safer side. They thought they won the race but they didn't. They don't have enough data to support their claims of being covid free. They didn't do random tests of various locations. They did not do any antibody survey to find if the general population has developed antibodies(which means they were infected somehow in past).

All they wanna do is a chest thumping and they have no data to support their claims. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

""my country is testing like a million everyday. ????????""

because your poor country didn't take good decision in good time ....yes you have to cry about how many families missing somebody. I hope it'll not happen in yours. Here , only 60, and when somebody comes from your country, sick, he is immediatly supported in hospital and cured.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

what is the use of producing those kits when they r nt using them. sending them to their daddies in a neighbouring big country? 

Thailand ranks 166 in terms of tests per million population. It's ranks near to countries like uganda, bangladesh , ghana etc etc. 

people should be tested if they have the slightest of the symptoms. Not all this  guidelines to keep the testing low. This is a pandemic. 

They let their gaurd down. They should have advised all hospitals to test anyone with any related symptoms to be on the safer side. They thought they won the race but they didn't. They don't have enough data to support their claims of being covid free. They didn't do random tests of various locations. They did not do any antibody survey to find if the general population has developed antibodies(which means they were infected somehow in past).

All they wanna do is a chest thumping and they have no data to support their claims. 

They are testing!  Didn't you read the OP here? If you enter a hospital with some of the symptoms, they test. Been doing that for many months.

No conspiracy theories, please.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, berton said:

because your poor country didn't take good decision in good time ....yes you have to cry about how many families missing somebody. I hope it'll not happen in yours. Here , only 60, and when somebody comes from your country, sick, he is immediatly supported in hospital and cured.

how do u know my country is poor? 

i laugh at people when they trust thai govt data. even thais dnt trust it. bt here r some people who think thailand is greatest of all , an utopian state, ????

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

They are testing!  Didn't you read the OP here? If you enter a hospital with some of the symptoms, they test. Been doing that for many months.

No conspiracy theories, please.

when am i gviing cons theory only expressing my doubts about their data

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Yet they have only tested 1,200,000 out of 70,000,000. That is embarrassingly low for a country with such a population size. 

They also do not do random testing. When you only test those who come to the hospital to get tested, your numbers are going to be incredibly low.

But Great numbers for a country with such a low case count. Random testing isn't really necessary. All hospitals are doing tests if you come in with the symptoms. Makes sense.

• Haha 2