Thailand to test over 10,000 people after record COVID-19 surge

Jonathan Fairfield

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Data from University College London showed up to 77% of people with covid had NO symptoms - That is why you test everybody  - not just the sick and the dead !

Yes - test all in a cluster to find the ones with no symptoms (asymptomatics) who are basically spreading the virus unknowingly. Then you take the asymptomatics blood plasma and give to those at risk whilst waiting for a vaccine which Thailand will be one of the last countries to get as covid-19 is under control more or less.

5 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

I talk to the poor and marginalised. May be u talk to the rich and powerful who are happy as they are in power. 

I am not ashamed of mentioning that i frequently talk to out of work entertainers/ pattaya girls. None of them trust the government. But those workers who bring so much tourists into Thailand are not even considered human by those in power. They were denied any kind of monetary help during the pandemic/subsequent lockdowns and tourist bans.

Those who were working in organized sector got the money. Bar girls, masseuses , freelancers etc , they never got any help even though they had been bringing foreigners into thailand alongwith their money for decades. 

Those in power want to enjoy the tourist inflow but they do not want to support the girls for whom "tourists" visit. They would even deny their existence by saying " There is no prostitution in Thailand".

Ok.  That makes sense.  I don't talk with bar girls.  Just business owners.

42 minutes ago, rabas said:

Your view of Thailand is different than what I have seen. In March, I discussed these issues with a few doctors and medical staff. Thai people do not need to pay for testing. When a person goes to a hospital they are screened for symptoms. A doctor will make a decision if the person needs testing. If the doctor orders a test, they call a national tracking center for a tracking number. Then they swab and send the sample to central laboratories. Local hospitals do not do testing. Samples are sent to Bangkok. One does not pay when you have been given an authorization code. It is all centralized.

FYI - Bangkok Hospital CM was offering covid-19 screening packages for 3,999 baht between 18th June to 30th September and probably still are as the attached flyer was still available to pick up on the 15th December.

Covid-19 Screening Package 8-24hrs 3,990 baht (18 June - 30 September 2020).pdf

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Derek B said:

FYI - Bangkok Hospital CM was offering covid-19 screening packages for 3,999 baht between 18th June to 30th September and probably still are as the attached flyer was still available to pick up on the 15th December.

Covid-19 Screening Package 8-24hrs 3,990 baht (18 June - 30 September 2020).pdf 811.08 kB · 0 downloads

i may come from a developing country but my govt has been doing treating covid for free since the beginning. 

The flyer u shared shows the price to be 3999. imagine a bar girl, She has to work many days to earn and save money for this screening. 

so they would simply not visit. if they have symptoms , they would take whatever they read on facebook and recover eventually. Most people in my country too are recovering by home quarantine.

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

yes boss, agree to u. they both have different mindsets and different conditions

Edited by lovethai123

China started at a fish market, does that mean China will try to blame some other nation now? they will have to burn all the videos of the bat woman first, that will take some doing as they were shown on Thailand TV when the virus was first reported

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Other Southeast Asian countries, including Singapore and Malaysia, have also reported thousands of cases among migrant workers.

Yes, and they quarantined them in their dormitories. The big question is: why did Thailand allow millions of them to roam around freely in the general population, happily skipping across the borders as and when it suited them to avoid quarantine? The authorities were clearly well-aware of the problems with migrant workers in Singapore, but instead of doing something to protect their own people they just sat back and wasted their time dreaming up idiocy like the STV. Shame on the government, but they'll soon be losing a lot of face in the international community over this idiocy. Instead of all the laudatory headlines praising Thailand for doing such a fine job of containing the virus, they'll now be reading headlines like:

Thai authorities throw it all away through stupidity, laziness and arrogance

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yet I talk to business owners, salon owners and such, as well as restaurant staff, and they never have believed the governments news on covid cases.  So believe what you want to, and if you want to believe this government then be my guest as they have driven the country into the poor house and made the rich richer.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

I talk to the poor and marginalised. May be u talk to the rich and powerful who are happy as they are in power. 

I am not ashamed of mentioning that i frequently talk to out of work entertainers/ pattaya girls. None of them trust the government. But those workers who bring so much tourists into Thailand are not even considered human by those in power. They were denied any kind of monetary help during the pandemic/subsequent lockdowns and tourist bans.

Those who were working in organized sector got the money. Bar girls, masseuses , freelancers etc , they never got any help even though they had been bringing foreigners into thailand alongwith their money for decades. 

Those in power want to enjoy the tourist inflow but they do not want to support the girls for whom "tourists" visit. They would even deny their existence by saying " There is no prostitution in Thailand".

Some valid points well noted. Unfortunately only charities or the charitable (Gig supporters) can help the marginalised. Many Thais (not just bar girls etc) do not quite understand that you cannot expect to get financial support from a system you have not either paid into or registered as in need of support. I take heart in the fact that most Thais are tough survivors with strong inter family connections.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Some valid points well noted. Unfortunately only charities or the charitable (Gig supporters) can help the marginalised. Many Thais (not just bar girls etc) do not quite understand that you cannot expect to get financial support from a system you have not either paid into or registered as in need of support. I take heart in the fact that most Thais are tough survivors with strong inter family connections.

Most business owners in the industry (bars, salons, small restaurants, etc) also don't pay taxes.  Stunning they would bash their own country.  Which has done a great job at managing the virus.  Impossible to argue with that.  Sure glad I'm not back home or in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Covid-19 Screening Package 8-24hrs 3,990 baht (18 June - 30 September 2020).pdf 811.08 kB · 8 downloads

This is if you are non Thai and/or you want testing but present no symptoms. 

I think it is unclear to Thais that they can get free testing if they have symptoms.

38 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I think it is unclear to Thais that they can get free testing if they have symptoms.

With the low number of cases here, is it really important every citizen gets tested?  If the virus was raging here, the hospitals would be full of CV patients.  They aren't, right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Data from University College London showed up to 77% of people with covid had NO symptoms - That is why you test everybody  - not just the sick and the dead !

Allow me to beat this horse until dead. 

There has been much confusion about asymptomatic cases, especially early on. Sometimes it was asymptomatic when tested (or when you kissed them) but the correct meaning is never having symptoms. You reference this study which was  'when tested' and was done on a small select group of people.

True asymptomatic cases is now considered roughly 20%. As for theories of vast undetected covid-19 in Thailand, only the 20% figure matters. Why? Because eventually the other ~80% will develop symptoms.

Study: Only 20% of COVID-19 Cases Are Asymptomatic

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hioctane said:

made it unclear and advertised heavy prices so people dont come forward. 

this makes them stay at home, take some home made stuff, traditional medicine, etc . 

most people are becoming ok, from the virus just by isolating at home.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

With the low number of cases here, is it really important every citizen gets tested?  If the virus was raging here, the hospitals would be full of CV patients.  They aren't, right?

not everyone who has the virus is showing symptoms and has to go to the hospital.  The horror stories of covid overflowing US hospitals are an exaggeration.  there are 115,000 covid hospitalizations - out of nearly 1 million hospital beds.. Hospitals are full, because they are always 80-90% full to begin with (otherwise, hospitals do not make money).  

Thailand/ Vietnam/ Cambodia etc are fortunate, that their population is relatively healthy compared to the West (30% or more in the USA are obese) and relatively young (covid more severe in elderly over 65) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

keep arguing. lets meet on this forum in a week and see the stats, they were able to hide the truth but not anymore. 

the world is looking.  

Note- u r not ready to understand what me and other members are explaining. no one says test everyone. all i am saying that their current numbers cant be trusted. I have already posted many times about what i think their strategy is. may be im wrong. but that doesnt make u right either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

made it unclear and advertised heavy prices so people dont come forward. 

this makes them stay at home, take some home made stuff, traditional medicine, etc . 

most people are becoming ok, from the virus just by isolating at home.

Thai people do not read English language advertisements from Bangkok's most expensive hospitals targeting Westerners.

Please provide one Thai person who paid for a covid-19 test, with receipt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

Thai people do not read English language advertisements from Bangkok's most expensive hospitals targeting Westerners.

Please provide one Thai person who paid for a covid-19 test, with receipt.

but thais can read 3999 . 

Any thai i spoke with during past 10 months( all are bar girls) , know corona test take so much money. very expensive.

that is how they kept the numbers low. 

no one coems to gets tested.. the numbrs are low and some day u say,, we r coroina free and get an applause from WHO(CHO??). 

Edited by lovethai123
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, rabas said:

Chicken shows up at hospital.

"Quick, look for  more eggs!"

If no one has symptoms or shows up at hospital there is no need to test the entire population.

You can have covid without being sick but then can pass it to others who will die so symptoms or no symptoms it's your duty to be tested. This is why its spreading so fast and people dying 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ian C HH said:

Thailand didn’t HAVE the sick and the dead. That counts for something surely? Correct handling and a more disciplined approach maybe? The same disciplines approach that this forum complains about as killing the economy by the way. Do you want more tests that would certainly show more assymptomatic  positive results that were always there but not causing ANY sicknesses and deaths then? Result? Panic, lockdown and further ruination of the economy. Europe tested to relieve their overflowing hospitals. Did we ever have that? Keep it in perspective PLEASE. 

Yes PLEASE keep in perspective that European or American hospitals are usually running at 80-90% full to make money.  When elective procedures were stopped in April, some hospitals in Florida started laying off or furloughing staff as there were no patients.  The Hospital ship which docked in New York , the field hospitals in Central Park and the NYC Convention Center had no usage

Sorry to say, but the "relieving of stress on hospitals" also is guided by keeping the money coming into hospitals.

In Europe/ USA most cases are asymptomatic and that is creating the panic the media is spreading. 

Also, imagine that for 30 years plus they could not find a vaccine for HIV, SARS etc - now we found 5 or 6 in less than a year.  Imagine that and just look at the $$$$ to vaccinate 8 billion people (most likely every year or more often).  

Edited by Miami007
typo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sezze said:

Well , thats always have been the problem so far in the rest of the world . Suddenly people are going to hospital , and you try find the infected and more and more people show up , and hospitals are getting full in no time .

Well yes and no . Like i said before , Thailand has been very lucky so far . The what, where, how , doesnt matter . The fact is that the hospitals were never in problem , telling me they were telling the truth . Nobody cares if you are infected if you not need to go to hospital , stay home for a week and ok . Professional footballers got it now all the time , since they getting tested at least once a week and sometimes everybody ok , and 2 weeks later theres 4-5-6 in a team which are infected , most of the time mild symptoms . Testing is good and fine , but it is very difficult to get all cases , lockdown for everybody and test everybody 2 times within a week and then you might got everybody , but that is not possible ( they doing it in China , together with widespread government control over movement ... ) .

Like i said yesterday , Welcome to the world Thailand . You've been very lucky so far .

My BIL is a doctor.  My niece tested positive and according to him "as long as he is not sick, she is healthy".  My niece had no symptoms but shows in the statistics as covid patient.  In Europe/ USA the media and government and many people do absolutely care about asymptomatic carriers.

You are right that athletes get it all the time and recover (like the majority).

In April we were told in the USA that more testing would prevent more cases - but nobody said how that would work.  Obviously a test today means nothing tomorrow or the day after - we would need to test everyone every day, which is not possible

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

not everyone who has the virus is showing symptoms and has to go to the hospital.  The horror stories of covid overflowing US hospitals are an exaggeration.  there are 115,000 covid hospitalizations - out of nearly 1 million hospital beds.. Hospitals are full, because they are always 80-90% full to begin with (otherwise, hospitals do not make money).  

Thailand/ Vietnam/ Cambodia etc are fortunate, that their population is relatively healthy compared to the West (30% or more in the USA are obese) and relatively young (covid more severe in elderly over 65) 

An exaggeration?  Where do you get your news?  California is in full blown crisis mode.  NO ICU beds available at all!

The US, and Europe, lost the game due to open borders, no masks and no social distancing.  Things they they did very well with here.  And yes, a younger population. 

No easy answers here, though many think so.