Thailand to test over 10,000 people after record COVID-19 surge

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, berton said:

when somebody comes from your country, sick, he is immediatly supported in hospital and cured.

i dont think so. i think he is asked to show passport, asked questions like why u come to thailand so much, ????????

asked to show means proof of funds. ????????asked to show a return ticket ????????

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, rabas said:

Chicken shows up at hospital.

"Quick, look for  more eggs!"

If no one has symptoms or shows up at hospital there is no need to test the entire population.

Yep, why test, test, test where there's no cluster? Different if you're like UK or other countries that have got so many clusters, so have to test, test, test to try regain some control or at least limit the spread.

Besides with the Thai health volunteers checking on households regularly, beats testing once in a lifetime... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-volunteer-idUSKBN23B044

Edited by Donga
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

This started with those girls running the border from Myanmar. They are blaming migrant workers, when it is clearly Thai girls from that hotel. 
I said months ago that this would happen, and now Thailand is so far behind the rest of the world.

10,000 tests is only because they have these kits. They are going to have to buy a shed load more very soon.

New Zealand and Australia are next .... 

you cannot stop a virus !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, berton said:

that's what I told u, your country is poor ...poor in prophyllaxis, medical protection, social protection, late to act because if they make 1 million now...it's becausse your governement did'nt do in the beginning (right?)

here, the border was close since april, so ,no more covid since end of may ...that's why when they find 2 ladies cross border illegaly, they can follow their way and find 1560 contacts case (6 contaminated) . And that's why , when they find 500 cases(2 days ago), they close 1 province and make 10.000 tests...ans they will continue because some people can come in this biggest market and go in some other cities . It's the usual process in epidemiology. But with this covid , nothing is totally secure ..we'll see...I just believe more thai governement than europeans and american and russian and chinese govrnmts....

u seem to love thailand so much. and hate the country on ur  passport. 

We are doing over a million tests per day coz we have over a billion people living here. 1.35+ billion people . no one had questioned my govt efforts. they r working too hard. its jst that this chinese virus is faster than a human can act. 

but we are making the vaccine too and hopefully next month the frontline workers will start getting it.

not late to act. borders were close  somewhere in march and all incoming people were being quarantined. 

Edited by lovethai123
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Raphus said:

This started with those girls running the border from Myanmar. They are blaming migrant workers, when it is clearly Thai girls from that hotel. 
I said months ago that this would happen, and now Thailand is so far behind the rest of the world.

10,000 tests is only because they have these kits. They are going to have to buy a shed load more very soon.

New Zealand and Australia are next .... 

you cannot stop a virus !!

what thai girls? what hotel? is it a case of international prostitution now? they carried some money alongwith the diesease when travelled whoring or what? what had happened? please tell.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

the UK as in having 2,000,000+ cases and 67,000 deaths?

compared to Thailands 4,000 cases and SIXTY deaths?

that UK?

yeah Thailand is not testing enough :cheesy:

Obviously logic is not your strength so I will  explain ; If the UK testing protocols mirrored those of Thailand there would be far far less recorded cases and deaths...comprende ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rabas said:

Chicken shows up at hospital.

"Quick, look for  more eggs!"

If no one has symptoms or shows up at hospital there is no need to test the entire population.

Thats fine but it has meant that Thailand has effectively had no real idea of the true level of infection in the country.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Thailand has over 700 hospitals and a pharmacy within eyesight from any other pharmacy in the country and Thais self medicate. 

No one would even notice unless it was centralized to one or two hospitals, assuming the locals went in the first place and didn’t just self medicate and/or die at home from pneumonia like so many do every year during normal times.

Maybe its the over self prescribing and misuse of antibiotics that are saving the Thais from it????????????

And before anyone corrects me I am aware covid is viral and not bacterial!!!! 

5 hours ago, Donga said:

Yep, why test, test, test where there's no cluster? Different if you're like UK or other countries that have got so many clusters, so have to test, test, test to try regain some control or at least limit the spread.

Besides with the Thai health volunteers checking on households regularly, beats testing once in a lifetime... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-volunteer-idUSKBN23B044

I haven't seen any Thai health volunteers out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet for a couple of years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I haven't seen any Thai health volunteers out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet for a couple of years.

Do you have any idea why not? Village I'm associated with near Det Udom does and I doubt Reuters would have got it so horribly wrong.. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-iran/irans-coronavirus-cases-exceed-one-million-health-ministry-idINKBN28D1EZ

My main point is about testing. Many on this forum seem to to think that the only reason there have been so few cases reported is because of lack of testing. Or maybe they believe that the initial outbreaks, more recent Chiang Rai and now Samut Sakhon situations are made up, while others are ignored? Can only assume they think Europe had lots of Covid, so therefore so should Thailand. There are many reasons why Thailand has done better with Covid than Europe.

Testing is necessary when you've lost control of your outbreaks to the extent you can't contact trace anymore. What's the point of doing tests now in all those provinces where clearly there are no Covid cases. Or are the local health workers, media and government involved in cover ups. Good grief.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Donga said:

Do you have any idea why not? Village I'm associated with near Det Udom does and I doubt Reuters would have got it so horribly wrong.. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-iran/irans-coronavirus-cases-exceed-one-million-health-ministry-idINKBN28D1EZ

My main point is about testing. Many on this forum seem to to think that the only reason there have been so few cases reported is because of lack of testing. Or maybe they believe that the initial outbreaks, more recent Chiang Rai and now Samut Sakhon situations are made up, while others are ignored? Can only assume they think Europe had lots of Covid, so therefore so should Thailand. There are many reasons why Thailand has done better with Covid than Europe.

Testing is necessary when you've lost control of your outbreaks to the extent you can't contact trace anymore. What's the point of doing tests now in all those provinces where clearly there are no Covid cases. Or are the local health workers, media and government involved in cover ups. Good grief.

I have no idea why the Health volunteer doesn't come around any more. We knew the old one as a friend but she has been moved to KPP and probably not replaced.

Well if nobody gets tested then the government has no real idea of the size of the problem and therefore no idea who is asymptomatic or a spreader and who genuinely has Covid. If you don't know that you can't track or trace anybody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donga said:

Who says nobody gets tested?

You get cases, you contact trace and test around those contacts. Which is what they're doing now. And have done successfully during this pandemic - as recognised by John Hopkins University, WHO and the European countries that allow Thais to enter without quarantine.

You don't need to to go to any other of the thousands of cities, town and villages and start randomly testing people because be a waste of time unless they've had an outbreak. Or do you think there is a big conspiracy to cover up Covid cases, involving village neighbours, health clinics, local hospitals and government agencies.

Also believe there are a lot of health volunteers, even if your village has not had anyone step up. My partner was one until she moved to Hua Hin.. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-volunteer-idUSKBN23B044

But if you wait until there IS an outbreak, then you are already 3, 4 or more days behind which makes contact tracing that much larger and that much harder.

Even more so if it is another long weekend that the government seem so keen on pushing lately. IIRC hospitals at weekends try to use less staff although they are still geared up, they may need to bring in off duty staff to get up to speed.

I don't think there is a conspiracy as such, more a case of "If we don't test so many people then we won't see a big increase" attitude from the government.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Being 8 months behind the rest of the world like New Zealand and Australia will also develop and have to deal with it.

I said this months ago. Being behind the rest of the world will be a massive negative to the health system , as Thailand does not have the health system to cope with mass infections. Neither do they have or paid and imported massive tests. 10?000 tests.. that is the maximum tests that Thailand have. Now they are buying more and flying them in...

No tests = no Covid.

All you expats have been shouting and screaming about what is good and bad. All you Retiries have been banging on how much money you have and how rich you are.. 

this virus is now in the country, and I hope you are now worried...

• Confused 2

On 12/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, Olivie said:

It's easy to not have cases when you don't test people.

Garbage. Thailand, rightly or wrongly and facts would suggest the former, has pursued targeted testing as opposed to mass testing among the tools used to combat the spread.

Western countries have proved that mass testing is not the answer they thought.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Donga said:

Who says nobody gets tested?

You get cases, you contact trace and test around those contacts. Which is what they're doing now. And have done successfully during this pandemic - as recognised by John Hopkins University, WHO and the European countries that allow Thais to enter without quarantine.

You don't need to to go to any other of the thousands of cities, town and villages and start randomly testing people because be a waste of time unless they've had an outbreak. Or do you think there is a big conspiracy to cover up Covid cases, involving village neighbours, health clinics, local hospitals and government agencies.

Also believe there are a lot of health volunteers, even if your village has not had anyone step up. My partner was one until she moved to Hua Hin.. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-volunteer-idUSKBN23B044

Exactly. There is little point wasting resources unnecessarily, more productive to deploy as required, it would be different if hospital admissions were rising.

I had to go the the hospital at Bang Saen last week and it was very quiet, just like after the lockdown, a long way from being overwhelmed.

• Like 1