Type O - X Visa (Long Stay - Five Years Each for Total of Ten Years)

Does anyone have any experience with the O - X Visa?  Two, five year periods with multiple entries for 3 million Baht in bank first year and 1,5 million Baht second year and beyond..  Seems  a cross between a retirement visa and Elite Visa without paying and benefits.  Looks like same reporting.  

What are the Pros and Cons in everyone’s opinion please?  The loss of return on the 100k USD does not matter and it drops to 50k USD after one year.  The leaving it in the bank does not matter as it has to be left in some bank.  At my age of 66, return does not matter.  If lost, would not change my life.  Seems good risk versus reward.

Would appreciate dwelling on the “cons” of getting this versus the retirement.

Thanks for your thoughts.

https://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

Purpose of Visit       This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 10 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 5 years each time (total 10 years). Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

– Applicant must have a bank deposit of no less than 3 million bahts in Thailand or a bank deposit of no less than 1.8 million bahts and annual income of no less than 1.2 million bahts. Such amount must be maintained in bank deposit in full for at least one year, and keep at no less than 1.5 million bahts thereafter.

Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.

Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/ herself if he/she meets the qualifications.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed the below is indicated both in O - X and the retirement visa non O.

What does that mean for my American wife?  Would she be allowed same privileges as I do with the O - X or the retirement visa?

Thanks

“Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant.”

George - in answer to your question - I agree with your assessment "Seems good risk versus reward." 

The con side to OX is the monetary fund requirement and restriction. As you have provided - this is of little/no consequence to you.

Overall -you have done your due diligence - you are the one who will be affected by your decision.

In your shoes - I would go the O-X route. 

Just an FYI, myself married to a Thai and in Thailand I extend a non-O based on retirement with THB 1M tied up in Bangkok Bank - of no consequence and no problems extending so it suits me. Personally it's my most painless route.

35 minutes ago, George36 said:

What does that mean for my American wife?  Would she be allowed same privileges as I do with the O - X or the retirement visa?

She could apply for a single entry non-o visa for being your spouse and then apply for one year extensions based upon your entries from the OX visa. No financial proof would be needed.

1 hour ago, George36 said:

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think you'll find most people wrote it off as there is little benefit above and beyond the options available prior to it being announced (other than not needing an annual trip to IO to renew, which, unless your wife goes O-X too, you'll still need to do anyway) for the increased financial requirement and it imposes the Thai insurance not currently required for a Non-O .

Three reasons stop me from considering it:

a) As far as I know they haven't implemented the procedure to get get it while you are in Thailand and I don't want to spend a month back in Europe to get a visa.

b) As UJ said very few people have got one, so I imagine the upheaval if I turned up at Buriram Immigration to get a yearly extension on a visa they know nothing about. 

c) The health insurance requirement; I have an excellent private cover which I am not going to change and the cheap LMG "empty cover" option is only available for non OA extensions.

They created this visa, some 5 years gao, to compete with the Malaysia 2nd Home programme, but as you'd expect their design and implementation has been so sloppy and lazy that it killed what could have been a real winner.

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

No need for yearly extension.

You need one if you don't leave the country, they stamp you in only one year at a time.

"Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for
the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.
"

Non-OX from The Hague Embassy

Better do you homework ????

I'm recently arrived on O-X, and I agree with many of the comments. I only had the option of O-A or O-X to be able to leave my own country due to restrictions in place at the time. I understand the benefits of obtaining Non O after arrival, but that option wasn't available to me.

The financial constraints of the amount needing to sit in a Thai Bank are considerable......I can manage it, but there are few tangible benefits.

The "rarity" of O-X has also been problematic. My local IO had NEVER dealt with one, so there was lots of head scrathing on my first visit, and probably will be when I go back to do the 90 days.

At BKK airport immigration, I was only stamped in for 1 year. After a lot of phone consultaion, the stamp was changed to 5 years at my local IO. This only adds to stress levels, but I'll just try and see how it plays out when I go back to them on the 1 year visit. They were very helpful, at least, and I'm hoping for the same at subsequent visits.

Other institutions used to dealing with foreigners on Non O, or O-A, such as BKK Bank, Deptartment of Land Transport(for Driving licence) and the Amphoe office (enquiring about Yellow Book) also have no knowledge of the O-X. Although this factor hasn't been a stumbling block to my dealings with these personell, my Thai partner has done all the negotiating in Thai language, it is just another issue to detract from the value of living with O-X here in The Kingdom. 

A positive to note from my limited experience is that when dealing with the front line staff at these offices is that when they realise from the visa label and the 5 year stamp that I am here on something more than the "normal" Non O or O-A, Just the feeling they convey that I might be in some way a special case, rather than an inconvenience, to be here on such a "long-stay" visa.  

I hope these experiences are of some value to those considering O-X. Admittedly, the 10 years, or 5 +5, is still of some comfort, but I see little else to recommend it.

Good luck to all in navigating their way back here in the current conditions. 

14 hours ago, Salerno said:

As I understand it you are stamped in for 5 years and then renew for another 5 years.

There was a bit of discussion about that a while back. Some got stamped in for a year only... but IIRC it should have been for 5 years. There is a requirement to report to immigration every year, likely to show you still have the money locked up as required, but I don't know if there is any passport stamping done. 

14 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

"Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for
the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.
"

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There is a requirement to report to immigration every year, likely to show you still have the money locked up as required, but I don't know if there is any passport stamping done.

Thanks for the clarification gents. First I'd heard of it (doesn't mention it on the Australian Thai Embassy site but not a surprise given the "quality" of the information on Thai Embassy sites around the world). So basically the only advantage is a "guarantee" of 10 years of sorts with the same farting about. Certainly not an attractive proposition to me.

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Thanks for the clarification gents. First I'd heard of it (doesn't mention it on the Australian Thai Embassy site but not a surprise given the "quality" of the information on Thai Embassy sites around the world). So basically the only advantage is a "guarantee" of 10 years of sorts with the same farting about. Certainly not an attractive proposition to me.

From the London Thai Embassy Website.

• Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.
  • Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:
  • Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Bath at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.

2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications

3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.

4) Foreigners work without permission.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

From the London Thai Embassy Website....

Yeah, that's what boomer pointed out from the Embassy in Belgium. I really don't see the difficulty in coordinating information on all Embassy sites and importantly keeping it up to date, for example info on visa exempt from the Consulate in Melbourne:

Those entering by land at the immigration checkpoints from neighbouring countries will be allowed to stay for 15 days on each entry. For stays exceeding these duration, purposes other than tourism, or for passport holders not listed a visa is required to travel to Thailand. 

That was changed to be inline with G7 countries (back to 30 days) what, 2 or 3 years ago.

31 minutes ago, Salerno said:

As far as I remember the info about it was on the website of the Sydney Thai Consulate 2-3 years ago.

I did have a look at it,  but decided to go with O-A,   I don't stay all the time in Thailand and the shorter term visas are more flexible for me.

15 hours ago, Salerno said:

I think you'll find most people wrote it off as there is little benefit above and beyond the options available prior to it being announced (other than not needing an annual trip to IO to renew, which, unless your wife goes O-X too, you'll still need to do anyway) for the increased financial requirement and it imposes the Thai insurance not currently required for a Non-O .

Contrary to what you wrote, the O-X DOES require an annual trip to IO.  Not to apply for a new 1-year extension, but to show IO that you still meet the financial requirements.

Considering the above, it combines the Worst of Three Worlds:

- Annual trips to IO still required;

- Parking 1.5 million THB permanently on a Thai bank-account;

- Mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance.

> Conclusion: Steer away from this one, as there are several easier/cheaper options to stay long-term in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, gearbox said:

As far as I remember the info about it was on the website of the Sydney Thai Consulate 2-3 years ago.

Doesn't mention it now (https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-x) and following the theme re accuracy, says it's valid 5 years without even mentioning the second "automatic" 5 year extension.

15 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I did have a look at it,  but decided to go with O-A,   I don't stay all the time in Thailand and the shorter term visas are more flexible for me.

Yes I also recall the Thai Consulate in Sydney having the O-X info on their website a couple of years back. Anyway, they refreshed the info on the website last month so the details for O-X application are now displayed: https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-x

41 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:Considering the above, it combines the Worst of Three Worlds:

- Annual trips to IO still required;

- Parking 1.5 million THB permanently on a Thai bank-account;

- Mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance.

> Conclusion: Steer away from this one, as there are several easier/cheaper options to stay long-term in Thailand.

Think this is on point.  Will move back to retirement type.

Thanks all for evaluating this for me.

I have been researching this as (aside from the no route to naturalization) its ideal for me.. Its amazing how little info is out there and how much the information that is out there disagrees with the info from people who had it. 

I did find a couple of holders and both tell me they have never gone back to immigration, never shown the 1.5 mil and get stamped in for 5 years (up to end of the visa) each entry. 

This is contrary to everything embassies say about annual visits, money that has to remain on deposit, how thats checked, etc etc.. There seems little clarity on hw long the 3 mil must be held, some say 3 at start 1.5 at second.. Others say 3 at start 3 at second 1.5 at 3rd ?? While holders report doing none of it with no ill effect...

Its just a total mess of conflicting info. 

I am not 50 for another 2.5 years, and likely will have that kind of funding in Thailand... But I wouldnt like it to need 2 years to access it, in case of requirement. 

8 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I have been researching this as (aside from the no route to naturalization) its ideal for me.. Its amazing how little info is out there and how much the information that is out there disagrees with the info from people who had it. 

I did find a couple of holders and both tell me they have never gone back to immigration, never shown the 1.5 mil and get stamped in for 5 years (up to end of the visa) each entry. 

This is contrary to everything embassies say about annual visits, money that has to remain on deposit, how thats checked, etc etc.. There seems little clarity on hw long the 3 mil must be held, some say 3 at start 1.5 at second.. Others say 3 at start 3 at second 1.5 at 3rd ?? While holders report doing none of it with no ill effect...

Its just a total mess of conflicting info. 

I am not 50 for another 2.5 years, and likely will have that kind of funding in Thailand... But I wouldnt like it to need 2 years to access it, in case of requirement. 

Imo that's indeed one more reason not to opt for the O-X Visa > as you wrote the official information on this O-X Visa is 'just a total mess of conflicting info'

Since you still have to go to Immigration every year, nto much advantage over O-A that I can see, and with higher financial requirement

Both O-X and O-A have an onerous and nonsensical insurance requirement which is impossible to meet if yo uare over 75. AND the insurance you are required to have is poor value for the money and does nto provide adequate cover so you still need another "real" policy

non-O visa with extension based on retirement is definitely the best option but some Embassies will nto issue non-O to retirees. If you come in visa exempt (now possible) you can change to a non-O incountry then do the retirement extension. Note that for this, funds must be in a Thai bank at least 2 months prior to extension

– Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau

“has anyone submitted request to the local immigration bureau , please share your findings “ there is no relevant information on the Thai immigration bureau website besides going in which I tried sometime back but there were clueless . Thanks 

1 minute ago, Alotoftravel said:

Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau

That might be applying for an extension of some kind. It could not be a change to different category of non immigrant visa.

Archived