Outbreak in Samut Sakhon rises above 1,200 cases

webfact

27 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

People were turning up sick at hospitals with CV19.  So, they did some testing.  If you don't have people turning up sick at hospitals with CV19, why test so much?

Why weren't there sick people during the first wave? There were active infections and then it just went away. They're not doing anything different now then back then right?

Should have stopped travel from the province.  Haven't they learned yet that temperature checks are pretty much useless?  They just have to look at the number of cases they find of Thais returning from abroad--who passed temperature checks when they left but still tested positive once they got here.

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Why weren't there sick people during the first wave? There were active infections and then it just went away. They're not doing anything different now then back then right?

Because thee never was a first wave in Thailand.  What we're seeing now is the new variant, which happens to be a lot more contagious..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

There were.  Quite a few active cases were in Chonburi.  And this guy was unlucky.  A young guy also.

It went away because of the great work they did here.  Lock downs, mandatory masks, and closing the border.  That's well documented.

https://pattayaone.news/russian-national-diagnosed-with-coronavirus/

Russian national diagnosed with coronavirus dies in Thailand

• Like 2

lies have been free and easy from the top, but the problem is growing and the truth is spreading, and the general was back in uniform the other day, as seen on tv, and what of the minister of health where is he? and what is he doing? it is time for action stations to stop the first wave

8 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It went away because of the great work they did here.  Lock downs, mandatory masks, and closing the border.  That's well documented.

but that's what they're doing right now! That's my point that needs to be addressed. I guess they can say it was the lockdown (which hasn't happened yet) so perhaps we can expect a nationwide stay at home order. 

How well have masks and so-called lockdowns worked in the rest of world? I'm not seeing the evidence any of this does anything at all.

Getting lucky is a very possible reason. I'm skeptical though so I'm putting out ideas.

• Like 1

Regarding travel - I’m due out of quarantine in central Bangkok this Saturday 26th intending to get a taxi to Morchit bus station for onward travel to Nakhon Ratchasima . Does anyone see any logistical problem with that? . As a last resort I could get the missus to drive in to pick me up  but am loath to do that unless absolutely necessary. Any thoughts? 

49 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

How do you know there were not sick people before?  I had to go to 4 different pharmacies to get some simple cold medicines several months back. First time that’s ever happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

but that's what they're doing right now! That's my point that needs to be addressed. I guess they can say it was the lockdown (which hasn't happened yet) so perhaps we can expect a nationwide stay at home order. 

How well have masks and so-called lockdowns worked in the rest of world? I'm not seeing the evidence any of this does anything at all.

Getting lucky is a very possible reason. I'm skeptical though so I'm putting out ideas.

No.  This lock down is nothing like the first one.  Pattaya was completely closed off, Bangkok under a very hard curfew, cars being stopped if you didn't have a mask on, no alcohol sold, beaches closed, etc. 

Masks work great, targeted lock downs work great also.  Read up on Taiwan.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Cases were divided into three groups: cases self-admitted to hospital, cases detected by community testing and now confined at local hospitals and quarantine facilities, and cases staying in dormitories overseen by health officials.

Does this mean that if you or I test positive, even with no symptoms, we will be required to isolate in a private hospital at our own expense, but if a migrant worker tests positive, he will just stay in the company dormitory with an "overseer" somewhere outside?

I would like to know, given the first recorded case in the recent outbreak was with a Thai person in the shrimp market, why there is not a possible correlation with the first recorded case in China in the Wuhan wet market. That is, the virus was always there but not infectious to humans - but now is!

If it is, then the shrimp market and its whole business concept needs to be addressed urgently.

16 minutes ago, dcnx said:

How do you know there were not sick people before?  I had to go to 4 different pharmacies to get some simple cold medicines several months back. First time that’s ever happened.

You well know what hypochondriac's the Thai's are so no wonder there was no cold medicines, however think yourself lucky Thai's don't wipe their a rse on toilet paper meaning there was always plenty available for all the delicate farang's ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Does this mean that if you or I test positive, even with no symptoms, we will be required to isolate in a private hospital at our own expense, but if a migrant worker tests positive, he will just stay in the company dormitory with an "overseer" somewhere outside?

Thais aren't completely stupid, they know you can't get blood out of a stone, no point forcing a penniless migrant worker into hospital quarantine, but Mr. Farang with his big fat pension and his big fat bank balance can pay the hospital. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I would like to know, given the first recorded case in the recent outbreak was with a Thai person in the shrimp market, why there is not a possible correlation with the first recorded case in China in the Wuhan wet market. That is, the virus was always there but not infectious to humans - but now is!

If it is, then the shrimp market and its whole business concept needs to be addressed urgently.

The first recorded case wasn't in Wuhan.  And they're still not 100% sure where this virus originated.  But here's the first known case.

These viruses live in Animals and jump to humans when we're too close.  Guaranteed, this will happen again, as it has in the past.

https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

I am just waiting for some politician to say that it is all under control. That is when i would start to 

have a panic attack. Especially if the government guy was saying that while on an outbound

flight for his long vacation somewhere else..

Geezer

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TSF said:

Thais aren't completely stupid, they know you can't get blood out of a stone, no point forcing a penniless migrant worker into hospital quarantine, but Mr. Farang with his big fat pension and his big fat bank balance can pay the hospital. 

The migrant worker is penniless, but his seafood company employer has a bigger bank balance than any of us will ever have - but I guess that employer also has enough influence to avoid having to pay those annoying extra expenses.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

The first recorded case wasn't in Wuhan.  And they're still not 100% sure where this virus originated.  But here's the first known case.

These viruses live in Animals and jump to humans when we're too close.  Guaranteed, this will happen again, as it has in the past.

https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

The article is not a statement of fact as the first case, only a "maybe" so maybe a "maybe" in Wuhan proper! The statement also says that SOME infections not connected with the wet market in Wuhan which means some could be! I accept that the first case was in Hubei but Wuhan is in Hubei Province and for some reason, Wuhan itself has been omitted.

I would remind you that the first recorded covid case (outside of China) of any kind was in Thailand was from Wuhan and so was the first recorded case in the USA from Wuhan. That is what I have learned and have not seen it denied anywhere.

In any event, if the virus has "jumped" to humans from animals, bats or otherwise, seafood and wet markets might easily be the real source of the first outbreak but as you say, nobody knows for sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I thought the borders were closed and the province was on lockdown to contain the spread.  Is it just me or is something just wrong about this. Plus why are these numbers not included in the total daily stats for Covid-19.  Playing games again i see.

The announcement of daily total clearly stated it did not yet include results of migrant worker screening.

That is being handled as a separate campaign and high volume one so not surprising that data from it would take a little longer and be separately announced. No conspiracy here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

The article is not a statement of fact as the first case, only a "maybe" so maybe a "maybe" in Wuhan proper! The statement also says that SOME infections not connected with the wet market in Wuhan which means some could be! I accept that the first case was in Hubei but Wuhan is in Hubei Province and for some reason, Wuhan itself has been omitted.

I would remind you that the first recorded covid case (outside of China) of any kind was in Thailand was from Wuhan and so was the first recorded case in the USA from Wuhan. That is what I have learned and have not seen it denied anywhere.

In any event, if the virus has "jumped" to humans from animals, bats or otherwise, seafood and wet markets might easily be the real source of the first outbreak but as you say, nobody knows for sure.

Yeah, that's exactly what it says.  Nobody really knows where this virus originated.  I've read China granted access to the WHO for investigations starting in January.  We'll see...

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Migrant workers are covered by a mandatory scheme which entitles them to the same cover as Thais.

Payment is not the issue.

Rather, it is hospital capacity.  Thailand has managed its policy of mandatory hospitalization for all cases, even asymptomatic ones, only because until now numbers in any one location have been small. It is totally impossible to do in Samut Sakhon given the numbers.

They have opted to set up a "field hospital" to deal with this. 

These are same approaches as used in China.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

Temp checks don't detect covid, you can have a fever for many reasons. How about spending some money on proper testing

they produce 100,000 test kits a month here.  And they are used.  40,000 were just tested in relation to this outbreak.