UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

15 hours ago, Histavia said:

Not exactly strange - the topic is the Brexit UK/EU deal and it seems that most leavers know nothing about it.....and display a huge ignorance about such things as history etc to boot - where's the flaw in that?

"Ignorance", isn't it strange that your click keep using that word, I never use that word because I deem it derogatory, but, you talk about ignorance of our history, your click is telling me I should not post about history, now come on, make up your minds, chap(s).....????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Brexit does seem characterised by incompetence doesn't it?

This, from a leading Brexiters of all people.

https://www.turbulenttimes.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-incompetence-all-round/

thank you for sharing this absolute must read article, ...   " But, given the almost complete inability of the British media to report the issues in any depth, one wonders whether more intense coverage would make any difference, other than spread the veneer of ignorance somewhat thinner" 

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kingdong said:

If the scots want independence let them have a referendum,and if  our northern neighbours want to side with the germans laughing at us,fine,but to coin a phase he who laughs last laughs the longest.

"If the scots want independence let them have a referendum"

Glad to see opinions are evolving.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tebee said:

You  don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.

Why EU membership an the single market was important. 

A Brexit lesson: EU’s benefits, largely invisible, hurt to lose

https://www.politico.eu/article/a-brexit-lesson-eus-benefits-largely-invisible-hurt-to-lose-single-market-boris-johnson/

Britons have finally understood (five years too late) why the European Union’s single market and customs union are important: They make EU internal borders invisible.

Invisible benefits are easy to forget and hard to sell politically, they are also easy to dismiss and easy to lie about, but the cost of abandoning them can be steep

Exactly.

Bureaucracy was a barrier to trade before the single market, I fail to understand why would anyone think it was going to be any different outside the single market. Self delusion?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tofer said:

Exactly, you fail to understand!

The protectionist EU bureaucracy was a barrier to the UK's ability to trade competitively on the wider global stage.

The wider stage is the EU, over 40% of our exports.

Now it's the last of the summer wine.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/18/a-multiple-pile-up-in-the-fog-wine-agents-fury-at-brexit-red-tape

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spain says a better control of Gibraltar will stop The Rock from acting in ways that threaten Spain/EU interests, mostly hosting offshore societies cheating taxes and regulations while gaining access to our markets, I guess.

“Gibraltar has connections with the Gulf, Russia and Chinese economic players, especially Hong Kong, which could have developed in an uncontrolled manner in detriment of our country’s interests,” she said.

https://www.politico.eu/article/gibraltar-deal-increases-spains-influence-in-the-rock-foreign-policy-chief-says/

image.thumb.png.139f7d56a4276433bebd06e23491bf72.png 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Spain says a better control of Gibraltar will stop The Rock from acting in ways that threaten Spain/EU interests, mostly hosting offshore societies cheating taxes and regulations while gaining access to our markets, I guess.

https://www.politico.eu/article/gibraltar-deal-increases-spains-influence-in-the-rock-foreign-policy-chief-says/

image.thumb.png.139f7d56a4276433bebd06e23491bf72.png 

Gibraltar could yet face no-deal Brexit, chief minister warns

Fabian Picardo says treaty allowing Gibraltar to join Schengen ‘should not be given for granted.’

The treaty will “no doubt” have a clause allowing all parties to undo the deal, Picardo added, leaving the door open for the British government to exit the arrangements in the future.

https://www.politico.eu/article/gibraltar-no-deal-brexit-risk-border-spain-uk-schengen-fabian-picardo/

9 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Everytime I feel bad, I search for “Brexit” on Google News and feel better. 

B9DDDFC3-227E-45BE-9819-5F83D60BFE2A.jpeg

Why would you feel better, the first story on your list concerning the lady who was asked to pay an extra £82 for her coat said:

"I didn't even know when the parcels would be coming - so I sent both back without paying the extra fees and won't be ordering anything from Europe again any time soon."

Seems to me she'll be buying British goods in the future, as we all should.????????

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 10:58 PM, tebee said:

The Scots, laughing about the Germans laughing at us...... 

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18974343.der-spiegel-writer-takes-aim-uk-government-clowns-scathing-column/

HERE in the UK, Brexit is far from over. The consequences of Boris Johnson’s disastrous deal will impact generations and spell the end of the Union, according to constitutional experts.

calm calm

give it some time

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tofer said:

Exactly, you fail to understand!

Wrong. I knew understood perfectly well what documents I had to supply trading with Europe prior to the single market, documents that deterred many of out local business from exporting.

I am also fully aware how that barrier to trade was removed with the introduction of the SM.

You are obviously blinded by EU paranoia, as a member the UK was able to trade with other countries, the problems arose from many factors, little to do with the EU as the UK is about to find out.

Only the delusional would think that leaving the EU will resolve distance and language barriers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why would you feel better, the first story on your list concerning the lady who was asked to pay an extra £82 for her coat said:

"I didn't even know when the parcels would be coming - so I sent both back without paying the extra fees and won't be ordering anything from Europe again any time soon."

Seems to me she'll be buying British goods in the future, as we all should.????????

...and presumably some frau will be experiencing something similar and crossing the UK off her list of shopping options...doh!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

Good to know at least one brexiteer here is in the uk and will be only buying british from now on...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, vogie said:

My question is ... why she not bought before from her own country shops ....?  not nice enough  or to pricey ..? 

So.... now she becomes a patriot ....????

• Like 1

Most gods bought in Uk are made abroad - for reasons of cost. The logistics set up over the last 3 decades involve free movement of all goods within EU. so distribution centres can be set up anywhere in the EU and then transported to destinations around the EU. UK is now outside that market so goods are subject to certain taxes, dories and fees when then go outside the EU. I paid VAT on goods coming from Thailand recently and it is now the same for any goods coming in from the EU regardless of source as the UK I no longer part of the EU-wide VAT system.

This applies to goods made both inside and outside the EU. People wanting to sell direct to the UK will need to set up a separate import system directly into the UK and pay VAT or any other duties on arrival.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

I'm afraid I cannot help you there David as I'm not privy to all newspaper reports, most of the media now don't report facts, they just give you their opinion.

Maybe she was a europhile and if so, I guess she won't be much longer.

It was as just a general "mind question" of me.... , as i know already the answer ....".she liked more the clothes style from Paris  , but can now not afford it any more " ..... she has my sympathy .....????

and Vogie .... don't look further ,don't let your sleep for it  .... thanks anyway.....

it was not a real question  as you know before even starting to twist the phrase ....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

It was as just a general "mind question" of me.... , as i know already the answer ....".she liked more the clothes style from Paris  , but can now not afford it any more " ..... she has my sympathy .....????

and Vogie .... don't look further ,don't let your sleep for it  .... thanks anyway.....

it was not a real question  as you know before even starting to twist the phrase ....

I would like to look into this story a little more and the reason that she is interested in Parisienne haute couture, and how you know she cannot afford these fine clothes from Paris, any link to what you said, or maybe she was just making a statement and has had enough of the EU like most of us has.

Edited by vogie
  • Haha 1