Air Canada Boeing 737-8 MAX suffers engine issue

rooster59

Air Canada Boeing 737-8 MAX suffers engine issue

2020-12-25T221147Z_2_LYNXMPEGBO0FU_RTROPTP_4_AIR-CANADA-RESULTS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An Air Canada Boeing 737-8 Max airplane is pictured at Vancouver's international airport in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, February 5, 2019. REUTERS/Ben Nelms

(Reuters) - An Air Canada Boeing Co 737-8 Max en route between Arizona and Montreal with three crew members on board suffered an engine issue that forced the crew to divert the aircraft to Tucson, Arizona, the Canadian airline company said in an emailed statement on Friday.

Shortly after the take-off, the pilots received an "engine indication" and "decided to shut down one engine," an Air Canada spokesman said.

"The aircraft then diverted to Tucson, where it landed normally and remains." The incident took place on Dec. 22.

The crew received a left engine hydraulic low pressure indication and declared a PAN PAN emergency before diverting the flight, Belgian aviation news website Aviation24.be https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air-canada/boeing-737-8-max-suffers-left-hand-engine-failure-on-return-to-service-flight reported.

"Modern aircraft are designed to operate with one engine and our crews train for such operations", the Air Canada statement added.

In a response to a Reuters request for comment, a Boeing spokeswoman referred to Air Canada for information on the incident and did not provide any additional comment.

Boeing and operators are bracing for heightened scrutiny as the MAX returns from a 20 month safety grounding, but safety experts say such glitches are common and usually go unnoticed.

The 'MAX was grounded following two crashes linked in part to flawed cockpit software. The engines were not implicated.

The United States lifted a 20-month-old flight ban on the 737 MAX last month, with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration outlining details of the software, system and training upgrades Boeing and airlines must complete before carrying passengers.

(Reporting by Aishwarya Nair in Bengaluru; Additonal reporting by Radhika Anilkumar and Nandakumar D; Editing by Sandra Maler and Diane Craft)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-27

There have been some engine incidents (thankfully not double-ones) in 737's (not MAX) post-storage such that the FAA has issued specific inspection order just for them.

FAA orders emergency inspections of 2,000 Boeing 737s after engine failures post-coronavirus storage

The Federal Aviation Administration on Friday issued an emergency Airworthiness Directive  (AD) for 2,000 Boeing 737s that have been parked.

The FAA issued the directive after inspectors found compromised air check valves when bringing the aircraft out of storage, agency spokesman Lynn Lunsford said. Corrosion on the "fifth stage bleed air check valve'' could result in dual-engine failure, he said.

The FAA took the action after four recent reports of single-engine shutdowns due to check valves being stuck open, according to the Airworthiness Directive. It did not detail the incidents or name the airlines operating them, but Alaska Airlines confirmed one of its planes suffered an "engine shutdown issue'' on a July 15 flight from Seattle to Austin, Texas. Spokesman Ray Lane said the "safety of the flight was not compromised.'' The 737 made an emergency landing in Austin and the engine was replaced, he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/07/24/faa-emergency-inspections-boeing-737-corrosion-engine-failures-coronavirus-storage/5501391002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No surprise...its been sitting around on the tarmac for a couple years. There will probably be a rash of plane crashes and mishaps as planes are slowly brought back into service after a year or more of not flying...both planes and pilots will be rusty.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I wouldn't be too comfortable flying in one of those, would I be within my rights to cancel or request a different make of aircraft ?

Depends on the local legislation but I highly doubt there’s any country where this would provide sufficient ground for a cancellation or reschedule. The best you can do is trying to avoid booking a flight that’s on a 737 MAX but even that will be difficult as airlines won’t show the aircraft as a MAX, and maybe even not on and in the plane itself, so you would have to know the differentiating features of the MAX to spot one when you board it, or strictly book flights on Airbus (and other non-Boeing) aircrafts only (that’s what I’ll do for short and mid haul flights). 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Depends on the local legislation but I highly doubt there’s any country where this would provide sufficient ground for a cancellation or reschedule. The best you can do is trying to avoid booking a flight that’s on a 737 MAX but even that will be difficult as airlines won’t show the aircraft as a MAX, and maybe even not on and in the plane itself, so you would have to know the differentiating features of the MAX to spot one when you board it, or strictly book flights on Airbus (and other non-Boeing) aircrafts only (that’s what I’ll do for short and mid haul flights). 

I must confess that, like you, I shall avoid Boeing aircraft on any short haul flights which I may take in the next couple of years. I'm afraid that Boeing are just too "close" to the regulatory bodies (FAA) for me to be comfortable with the aircraft's return to service.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

So where do the flying public stand on this problem ?

To be honest I'm not planning on flying anywhere anytime soon, so the question is hypothetical, but if I needed to get back to my home country and I bought and paid for a ticket only to discover that the plane would be a 737 Max, I wouldn't be too comfortable flying in one of those, would I be within my rights to cancel or request a different make of aircraft ?

You could make a booking conditional on the flight aircraft not being a 737 max 8 but I doubt if any company would accept the booking.......if a million people refused to book a seat things might change. My next flight will be on a 380 operated by Emirates!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bodga said:

yet the trip in the  car to the airport is way  more  likely  to  kill you

That is true for airplanes in general, but going by the reports how many people have died in 737-8 Max, and taking in account how many are in use, that's a different story

15 hours ago, DREW99 said:

You could make a booking conditional on the flight aircraft not being a 737 max 8 but I doubt if any company would accept the booking.......if a million people refused to book a seat things might change. My next flight will be on a 380 operated by Emirates!

In my experience the Emirates 380 is the best aircraft I've ever had the pleasure of flying in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrfill said:

Then why put a second, heavy engine on? Weight saving would be considerable and costs reduced. Might even make the software run properly...

So when one engine fails, as sometimes happens on these jets, there's still a second engine to take its place... and prevent a no-engines jet from dropping out of the sky like a rock?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So when one engine fails, as sometimes happens on these jets, there's still a second engine to take its place... and prevent a no-engines jet from dropping out of the sky like a rock?

Modern planes can glide quite a while. But still, landing would be difficult if it happened in the middle of the ocean.