U.S. government heads toward chaotic end to 2020 as Trump fights Congress

webfact

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Did you not say this?

I don't care what "millions" of Americans think...I want my 2k!

What happen now that your President has gone soft and sign the original bill. You disappointed that his leadership was all sham and fake and you wouldn't get your 2K. You are hilarious. 

No I'm sorry for the covid relief payments for the bargirls of Pattaya...it's gone down from 60,000 baht to 18,000 ????????????

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Trump = chaos.

He just signed the bipartisan $600 payment relief bill he himself called "a disgrace" last week, with all the foreign aid funding that his administration first proposed and then derided.

Unfortunately, we all know who the disgrace is here, and he's soon headed for the presidential unemployment line.

In Palm Beach...I'd bet it's a red carpet line with a velvet rope ????????????

Maybe he realised that in less than a month he would be irrelevant and Joe would sign it anyway so he would not have achieved anything, having lost support of the Republican party.

This was likely an attempt to gain some "I'm fighting for the people, people!" brownie points for his presidential bid in 2024 and realised this could bite him back. He might be rude, erratic, bullyish... but he ain't stupid. And there are enough voters out there to give him a chance at getting back in office in 2024 as long as he stays in media spotlight for the next 4 years and does enough damage for the next administration to achieve nothing by next elections. Quite smart, actually. Though extremely damaging to the country and the people.

• Like 1

U.S. government heads toward chaotic end to 2020 as Trump [surrenders to] Congress

One interesting aspect, though, is I believe the House of Reps today (Monday) was still scheduled to vote on the $2000 payments proposal that Democrats supported and Republicans opposed.

Now that Trump has signed the bipartisan $600 direct payments bill, wonder what's gonna happen to the standalone $2000 payments bill, and what if anything are Republicans in Congress going to do about going beyond the basic $600 amount???

My bet... Nothing!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

U.S. government heads toward chaotic end to 2020 as Trump [surrenders to] Congress

One interesting aspect, though, is I believe the House of Reps today (Monday) was still scheduled to vote on the $2000 payments proposal that Democrats supported and Republicans opposed.

Now that Trump has signed the bipartisan $600 direct payments bill, wonder what's gonna happen to the standalone $2000 payments bill, and what if anything are Republicans in Congress going to do about going beyond the basic $600 amount???

My bet... Nothing!

Well, for one thing, it may be changed to a $1400 per person stimilus bill.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My bet... Nothing!

Too many GOP senators are against it.  Never happen now that this one has been signed.  IMHO. :jap:

• Like 2

Putting Trump out of the picture for a moment, that aid bill is a disgrace.  The amount of money being given to those that need it is insufficient.  I would love to see Mitch and the rest of the Republican clowns live on that amount of money for a couple of months.  It is packed full of money that has nothing to do with Covid aid such as aid to foreign countries ... this of course to please Nancy and her meet band of mischief makers.  The voters would be well within their rights to be furious at both parties for playing politics with their tax dollars ... while Rome burned.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sujo said:

He didnt. He just signed it.

Trump disappoints you again,

yes, and the disappointment continues.

i expect the checks will be increased to $2000 and will be sent out at the beginning of february...

bearing the signature of the newly-inaugurated president.

so, thank you, president biden.

• Like 1

Newsweek, which in its current partisan form has veered noticeably pro-Trump, has an article that makes it sound like there might be a Republican effort in the Senate to tie the $2000 relief payments to Trump's initiative to remove the legal liability shield from social media companies (the Section 230 reference below).

"@realDonaldTrump tonight says Senate leadership has promised votes on bills to increase the #covid relief payments to $2000 for working people AND to terminate #Section230. Let's vote!" said GOP Congressman Josh Hawley of Missouri.

Most Republican senators, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch Mitch McConnell, have remained silent on Trump's sudden demand to fatten the checks. Democrats and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, an independent, urged Trump to convince Republicans to back the measure on Sunday.

https://www.newsweek.com/2000-stimulus-checks-gain-momentum-republicans-democrats-press-new-vote-1557486

1 minute ago, chilli42 said:

Putting Trump out of the picture for a moment, that aid bill is a disgrace.  The amount of money being given to those that need it is insufficient.  I would love to see Mitch and the rest of the Republican clowns live on that amount of money for a couple of months.  It is packed full of money that has nothing to do with Covid aid such as aid to foreign countries ... this of course to please Nancy and her meet band of mischief makers.  The voters would be well within their rights to be furious at both parties for playing politics with their tax dollars ... while Rome burned.

Our government is totally broken.  When Trump shut down the government, thousands of employees didn't get a paycheck, while member of congress, Trump, his staff and cabinet members did.  Horrible.

These guys also get great medical benefits while millions of Americans don't.

Time for a change.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

yes, and the disappointment continues.

i expect the checks will be increased to $2000 and will be sent out at the beginning of february...

bearing the signature of the newly-inaugurated president.

so, thank you, president biden.

Doesn’t that depend on the outcome of the Georgia senatorial election?  Certainly uncle Joe would look like a hero for doing as you suggest

9 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Mitch McConnell being generous to individual Americans?  If Trump believes that he truly has lost touch with reality.

Those of us who've known Trump for decades already knew Trump wasn't in touch with reality.

• Like 2