Biden: Trump aides setting 'roadblocks' for his transition team

webfact

Biden: Trump aides setting 'roadblocks' for his transition team

By Simon Lewis and Matt Spetalnick

2020-12-28T212419Z_1_LYNXMPEGBR0Y8_RTROPTP_4_USA-BIDEN.JPG

U.S. President-elect Joe Biden delivers a speech after a conference video call focused on foreign policy at his transition headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware, U.S., December 28, 2020. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WILMINGTON, Del./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President-elect Joe Biden said on Monday many of America's security agencies had been "hollowed out" under President Donald Trump and the lack of information being provided to his transition team by the outgoing administration was an "irresponsibility."

"We've encountered roadblocks from the political leadership at the Department of Defense and the Office of Management and Budget," Biden said after a meeting with his foreign policy team.

"Right now we just aren't getting all of the information that we need from the outgoing administration in key national security areas. It's nothing short, in my view, of irresponsibility," he added.

After Biden beat Trump in the Nov. 3 election, the Democrat’s team only began meeting with administration officials in late November to coordinate the handover.

Trump, a Republican, has refused to concede defeat and his administration only authorized cooperation with Biden on Nov. 23. Biden takes office on Jan. 20.

Earlier this month, Biden's team said they had met resistance to requests for information from some Pentagon officials.

The Pentagon pushed back. A senior defense official last week said that the Pentagon had conducted 163 interviews and 181 requests for information and that it would continue to provide information and meetings.

But Biden reiterated his team's concerns on Monday. When he takes office, he will inherit a wide range of foreign policy and national security challenges, including China, Iran and North Korea, as well as the coronavirus pandemic raging across the globe.

One of his toughest tasks will be rebuilding U.S. alliances that have frayed under four years of Trump's "America First" agenda.

"My team needs a clear picture of our force posture around the world and our operations to deter our enemies," Biden said. "We need full visibility to the budget planning under way at the Defense Department and other agencies in order to avoid any window of confusion or catch up that our adversaries may try to exploit."

But Biden said his team, while securing cooperation from some federal agencies, had "encountered obstruction from the political leadership" at the Pentagon.

"And the truth is that many of the agencies that are crucial to our security have incurred enormous damage. Many of them have been hollowed out – in personnel, capacity and in morale," he said. "There’s policy processes that have atrophied or have been sidelined to the despair of our alliances."

(Reporting by Simon Lewis in Wilmington, Delaware, and Matt Spetalnick and Idrees Ali in Washington; Editing by Leslie Adler and Alistair Bell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-29

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I guess Joe can at least ensure that those putting up the roadblocks get their just reward when he finally takes office. Not long now!

I don’t think that’s the way he works but I’m sure he will do his best to kill their influence a sad state of affairs imo

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Trump wouldn't get away with this if the GOP politicians would grow a spine. But obviously most of them are not willing to put the interest of the USA in front of their personal or party interests. What a bunch of pathetic losers.

You mean Biden wouldn't get away with this if ...

Edited by ExpatOK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Biden himself?  You gotta be kidding me!  ????????????

Oh no president Biden has much more important things to do than go after a failed ex president that’s the doj,s job and I’m sure they are just licking their chops oh boy oh boy old donalds gonna reap what he’s sown 

• Like 2

Just now, Tug said:

Oh no president Biden has much more important things to do than go after a failed ex president that’s the doj,s job and I’m sure they are just licking their chops oh boy oh boy old donalds gonna reap what he’s sown 

Hopefully Biden will hire a good AG who will do the investigations as recommended by the Mueller report.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

Given that Biden has affirmed he will not "interfere" with actions taken by the DOJ certainly does not rule out some severe raking through the  *hit pile in due course.

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's been suggested it's just a continuation of his battle against the elite, the deep state government, the system, etc, etc, etc.  All to keep his base riled up and donating to him.  Plus, he loves his name in the headlines. 

What a horrible leader.

He is no leader. Just a posse head dog.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's clear that this report is a lie. Next thing you know, they'll be telling us that President Trump is raising all kinds of fraudulent charges to overturn the results of the 2020 Presidential election.

sarcasm alert for those who need it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1