Mall attack settled: Norwegian pays 30K to Thai lady shopper he kicked after trolley misunderstanding

webfact

22 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The article says she was wheeling it off to an ATM. Normally the ATMs are not inside the supermarket shopping area, but in the area after went through the cashier and have paid. 

That being said, it doesn’t justify kicking someone. It’s pretty clear it’s a mistake; she wasn’t running away and who steals a shopping cart in broad daylight anyway? You politely tell her that that is your cart; she will be incredibly embarrassed and apologize to which you say Mai Pen Rai with a smile on your face. And none of that is even particularly Thai—it’s how you would handle it anywhere in this world. 

Whether 30k is justified or not is a different question. He certainly was wrong and deserved to be punished. 

You are only going by what she said. His side of the story is not being told here. It's possible he did try the polite approach and she became angry after losing face. Maybe she wasn't on her way to an ATM as she claims, it's possible she was making her getaway and got caught. The easiest way not to get caught stealing is in PLAIN VIEW and NOT acting suspicious.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe he though she wants to steal what he paid for.

I don't say that was reasonable but I think from time to time we all act before we think.

It was inside the shopping area. The idiot must have known nothing had been paid for. He is a thoroughly nasty piece of work who has got off very lightly. He should have been fined and locked up prior to deportation.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

It was inside the shopping area. The idiot must have known nothing had been paid for. He is a thoroughly nasty piece of work who has got off very lightly. He should have been fined and locked up prior to deportation.

If he is a nasty as you think he is then I am sure he will often behave like this and there will be consequences.

I try not to judge people by single incidents. We all make mistakes from time to time.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

How can you defend this big cowardly thug for kicking a woman. It is apologists like you, that are always prepared to defend foreigners no matter what they have done, that give farangs a bad name in Thailand ¯\_()_/¯

Pointing out that both sides of the story have not been told is not defending anyone. It merely points out the fact that you are only being told one side of the story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

It's possible he did try the polite approach and she became angry after losing face.

It may be possible, but also highly unlikely. And she isn’t even losing face when you politely tell her that that’s your cart. 
So I choose to go with what’s more likely. 

And either way it doesn’t justify kicking someone. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Pointing out that both sides of the story have not been told is not defending anyone. It merely points out the fact that you are only being told one side of the story.

That’s what you claim. You’re not having any evidence for your claim that he didn’t tell his story. And I guess your next move would then be to say “oh, but maybe he just said so to close the case, but actually it was all different”. 

Yes, you are defending him. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Whatever as long as she was not violent then its not appropriate to use violence. I guess there will always be guys like you defending a foreigner while he was clearly in the wrong. If this guy was in the right he would not have paid 30K.

He kicked twice once before and once after she apologized. Violence is just not done, the only people who are violent are low class people IMHO. Plus people with behavioral issues.

According to her version of what happened. It's people like you that believes what you are being told and never question anything. Why don't you tell all of us how my pointing out that "BOTH" sides of the story not being told is defending someone?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It may be possible, but also highly unlikely. And she isn’t even losing face when you politely tell her that that’s your cart. 
So I choose to go with what’s more likely. 

And either way it doesn’t justify kicking someone. 

We are both entitled to our own opinions.

1 minute ago, BobinBKK said:

According to her version of what happened. It's people like you that believes what you are being told and never question anything. Why don't you tell all of us how my pointing out that "BOTH" sides of the story not being told is defending someone?

No need to tell both sides of the story. There are certain facts in this story supported by evidence.

First the picture of her bruised legs (so it was not a minor kicking), the fact that he paid 30k.

Both those things show that the lady was right, because if the foreigner was wrong he would not have paid 30k.

Sometimes you don't need both sides but just a brain. 

Violence is never acceptable, even if he lost face. I guess you and I have different morals. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

That’s what you claim. You’re not having any evidence for your claim that he didn’t tell his story. And I guess your next move would then be to say “oh, but maybe he just said so to close the case, but actually it was all different”. 

Yes, you are defending him. 

I said his side of the story was not being reported. Do you have any evidence other than what is being reported?

• Like 1

Just now, BobinBKK said:

I said his side of the story was not being reported. Do you have any evidence other than what is being reported?

Your the one who claims his side is not reported. Do you have proof of that. You made the initial claim. Why do you think reporters have not spoken to him ? There are pics at the police station. There is a good chance they have spoken with him too. He might not have anything to say to defend himself. Some people just prefer not to talk especially if they are really wrong.

Your the one saying his story is not reported without any proof.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

No need to tell both sides of the story. There are certain facts in this story supported by evidence.

First the picture of her bruised legs (so it was not a minor kicking), the fact that he paid 30k.

Both those things show that the lady was right, because if the foreigner was wrong he would not have paid 30k.

Sometimes you don't need both sides but just a brain. 

Violence is never acceptable, even if he lost face. I guess you and I have different morals. 

Wow... ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

It is being reported that she accidentally took his shopping cart and he kicked her, and he agreed to compensate her for that, in front of the police, captured in a photo. 

You are now expecting us to not trust in that reporting, and consider it potentially false, based on no ground and no evidence you provide whatsoever. 

You are entitled to your paranoia of course. You may as well believe that Adolf Hitler never dies because you only heard one side’s reports and, well, always question, don’t be a sheeple, right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, cvs04 said:

This guy is a customer of mine and has been for 5 years. I've always found him to be placid and a very nice guy. I spoke with him yesterday.

Whilst I don't condone the way he handled the situation it would appear there is far more to this story than meets the eye.

He had just finished his shopping in Big C and was with his daughter who is about 12. They went for a kfc and put the trolley to one side whilst they queued and ordered food.

Distracted whilst ordering food he turned round to see the woman walking away with his trolley which had 6000 baht, already paid for, worth of goods he'd just bought plus his car keys etc etc. As far as he was aware it was the only trolley there so not sure how she made a mistake and thought it was hers.

He shouted her to stop and she started to run with the trolley. He gave chase and booted her up the backside to stop her. Maybe she turned and he caught her hip instead or maybe the bruise was from something else unrelated.

The tourist policeman is somewhat notorious amongst the farang community here shall we say.

I believe neither he or his daughter were given any opportunity to speak during the Police interview. He was told if he tried to challenge the plaintiff in court he would get 3 years in jail unless he paid her off. The cctv footage apparentely looked to be cut and didn't show the event as it unfolded.

If he had been a Thai man in this situation I suspect it would be the girl being charged. However it's a farang and whenever that happens there's a big story, the farang loses some money and then defamed in the media. Remember it's always the farangs fault unless there is a nearby Burmese they can pin it on instead.

That is a different story, as for the bruises are from something else seems illogical. So his defense of the kicking is a bit unbelievable. 

But if she really ran then that is different still stupid of the guy to use violence. Much easier to just grab the cart he was bigger and stronger. No need for a kicking and I am sure he could run faster too then someone pushing a cart. 

The violence should just not have happened. You hear his side but his side does not really align with the facts. How likely is it that she has bruises from something else just at this moment. I find it highly unlikely. So the kicking incident would not have gone the way he says it has.

But the fact that he paid for the stuff and it was outside makes the worried about theft claim more believable. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, cvs04 said:

He was told if he tried to challenge the plaintiff in court he would get 3 years in jail unless he paid her off.

So the policeman is also the judge? Or did he ask his crystal ball to come to that conclusion? 

16 minutes ago, cvs04 said:

However it's a farang and whenever that happens there's a big story, the farang loses some money and then defamed in the media. Remember it's always the farangs fault unless there is a nearby Burmese they can pin it on instead.

Utter nonsense. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your the one who claims his side is not reported. Do you have proof of that. You made the initial claim. Why do you think reporters have not spoken to him ? There are pics at the police station. There is a good chance they have spoken with him too. He might not have anything to say to defend himself. Some people just prefer not to talk especially if they are really wrong.

Your the one saying his story is not reported without any proof.

Do you see anywhere in the news article that his side of the story is being told? I see a foreigner surrounded by the police. Perhaps he felt intimidated (forced confessions are a reality), and why did she agree to lower the amount she originally asked for?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It is being reported that she accidentally took his shopping cart and he kicked her, and he agreed to compensate her for that, in front of the police, captured in a photo. 

You are now expecting us to not trust in that reporting, and consider it potentially false, based on no ground and no evidence you provide whatsoever. 

You are entitled to your paranoia of course. You may as well believe that Adolf Hitler never dies because you only heard one side’s reports and, well, always question, don’t be a sheeple, right?

Ok... Tell me exactly what was said by both parties in mall and at the police station. I wasn't there and neither were you.

Just now, BobinBKK said:

Do you see anywhere in the news article that his side of the story is being told? I see a foreigner surrounded by the police. Perhaps he felt intimidated (forced confessions are a reality), and why did she agree to lower the amount she originally asked for?

Just that you don't see it does not mean he has not been asked anything. He was there journalist were there. Nothing to prove he was not asked anything.

Why she would lower the amount, easy the guy refused the higher amount and its not sure how long a court case would come. Plenty of people prefer money in the hand now over a court case. I know I would not have paid 30k if i was right.

But then again attacking someone who you can stop normally is not allowed in my country either. Violence has to be proportional. So if the other side is not using violence you can't either. If someone has a stick and you got a gun your not allowed to shoot. I think most civilized countries have rules about what you can and can't do when apprehending a thief. 

Though I am reconsidering my point on the violence as the first pics i seen before were far worse bruising wise. The bruises that i see now are not that extreme.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Though I am reconsidering my point on the violence as the first pics i seen before were far worse bruising wise. The bruises that I see now are not that extreme.

Bruises says nothing about the amount of pain inflicted. A hickey gives a bruise, while you can break somebody's bones without one.

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just that you don't see it does not mean he has not been asked anything. He was there journalist were there. Nothing to prove he was not asked anything.

Why she would lower the amount, easy the guy refused the higher amount and its not sure how long a court case would come. Plenty of people prefer money in the hand now over a court case. I know I would not have paid 30k if i was right.

But then again attacking someone who you can stop normally is not allowed in my country either. Violence has to be proportional. So if the other side is not using violence you can't either. If someone has a stick and you got a gun your not allowed to shoot. I think most civilized countries have rules about what you can and can't do when apprehending a thief. 

Though I am reconsidering my point on the violence as the first pics i seen before were far worse bruising wise. The bruises that i see now are not that extreme.

This news article doesn't tell the complete story, period. Where are statements of eyewitness accounts? I know you are not stupid and that you can take any interview and edit things out you do want people to know.

• Like 1