Mall attack settled: Norwegian pays 30K to Thai lady shopper he kicked after trolley misunderstanding

webfact

17 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Do you see anywhere in the news article that his side of the story is being told? I see a foreigner surrounded by the police. Perhaps he felt intimidated (forced confessions are a reality), and why did she agree to lower the amount she originally asked for?

Unless you have any evidence for your claims, why should I believe it rather than what’s being reported? 

And why should I then believe your far-fetched alternative theory and not someone else’s far-fetched theory who may claim that actually he tried to get her number and then flipped out when she refused; I mean, how do you know it wasn’t like that and just not reported? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

This news article doesn't tell the complete story, period. Where are statements of eyewitness accounts? I know you are not stupid and that you can take any interview and edit things out you do want people to know.

Personally I would edit things out that people dont want to know. Not sure how it works with editing things out that people want to know.

As you say you can't be sure of things so you have to go with the facts that are available. The guy paid (admission of guilt). There was a trolley taken and the guy chased it and kicked (even the perhaps fake but post made by a person that knew him admits this).

Question is only does taking a cart away to steal justify a kicking or not ? Or should he stopped her and let the police handle it. There is no question about the fact that he was bigger and stronger and faster (she was pushing a cart). So why the violence why not get hold of the cart and stop and let police handle it or just get the cart back.

No need for extra details... all you need to do is wondering if his actions in the most favorable situation (where she was a thief and it was not a simple misunderstanding) were ok or overboard. I thought they were overboard (even if it was a thief) because he could just have stopped her as he was stronger and faster. However I did change my mind a bit about the kicking as the first picks looked really bad and the other ones did not. 

But like a poster says that does not mean much still I feel the kicking might not be as violent as i initially thought. 

14 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

This news article doesn't tell the complete story, period.

That’s what you’re claiming without providing evidence for your claim. Period. 

14 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Where are statements of eyewitness accounts? I know you are not stupid and that you can take any interview and edit things out you do want people to know.

Again, lots of assertions without any evidence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cvs04 said:

This guy is a customer of mine and has been for 5 years. I've always found him to be placid and a very nice guy. I spoke with him yesterday.

Whilst I don't condone the way he handled the situation it would appear there is far more to this story than meets the eye.

He had just finished his shopping in Big C and was with his daughter who is about 12. They went for a kfc and put the trolley to one side whilst they queued and ordered food.

Distracted whilst ordering food he turned round to see the woman walking away with his trolley which had 6000 baht, already paid for, worth of goods he'd just bought plus his car keys etc etc. As far as he was aware it was the only trolley there so not sure how she made a mistake and thought it was hers.

He shouted her to stop and she started to run with the trolley. He gave chase and booted her up the backside to stop her. Maybe she turned and he caught her hip instead or maybe the bruise was from something else unrelated.

The tourist policeman is somewhat notorious amongst the farang community here shall we say.

I believe neither he or his daughter were given any opportunity to speak during the Police interview. He was told if he tried to challenge the plaintiff in court he would get 3 years in jail unless he paid her off. The cctv footage apparentely looked to be cut and didn't show the event as it unfolded.

If he had been a Thai man in this situation I suspect it would be the girl being charged. However it's a farang and whenever that happens there's a big story, the farang loses some money and then defamed in the media. Remember it's always the farangs fault unless there is a nearby Burmese they can pin it on instead.

Oh right, nice to hear a different take on it,I guess there are always 2 sides to a story, Hes a big fella though and should not have kicked her,Shouting at the top of his voice would have been sufficient,

31 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

Oh right, nice to hear a different take on it,I guess there are always 2 sides to a story, Hes a big fella though and should not have kicked her,Shouting at the top of his voice would have been sufficient,

According to him he shouted for her to stop and she made a dash to get away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

He hadn't paid yet

Yes he had, you can't leave the Big C supermarket area and go to the KFC without first paying for your items.

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

Ok... Tell me exactly what was said by both parties in mall and at the police station. I wasn't there and neither were you.

Neither was I but according to the defendant he and his daughter were not allowed to have any say in the investigation whatsoever.  They did tell him he could go to court and challenge the plaintiffs claim but he would lose for sure and get 3 years in Jail.  The investigation was based soley on the statement made by the girl.

2 minutes ago, cvs04 said:

Yes he had, you can't leave the Big C supermarket area and go to the KFC without first paying for your items.

Neither was I but according to the defendant he and his daughter were not allowed to have any say in the investigation whatsoever.  They did tell him he could go to court and challenge the plaintiffs claim but he would lose for sure and get 3 years in Jail.  The investigation was based soley on the statement made by the girl.

From the original story:

"She said she wai-ed in apology but the foreigner then kicked her in the other leg. 

She left to get her mother but by the time she returned the foreigner had paid up and left the store as if nothing had happened. "

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2020 at 11:43 AM, kingofthemountain said:

She probably wanted a form of compensation for the trauma

it's not only about the physical bruises. it probably affected her mind too

If she was your daughter or your wife, will you agree if the idiot could walk away

with only a wai and a 500 bahts fine?

I will not

If it was my wife or daughter he kicked he wouldn't walk away at all, because I would break both his legs

even if it meant tracking him down later on with a pickaxe handle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Defend him all you want, he is a bloody disgrace, no matter what happened he kicked a woman, now that is unforgivable, he needs a damn good thrashing.

Whilst I don't agree he handled the situation well and shouldn't have used force however slight.  I would say that if she hadn't have been running off with his trolley, 6000 baht of goods and keys to his truck in the first place then she wouldn't have been kicked. 

If he had grabbed the trolley instead and reported her to security then maybe it would be her facing charges, however the media have made her out to be a helpless innocent victim of an unprovoked vicious attack by a farang, this is not correct either.  Also I believe that if he were a Thai man there would probably not have been charges for him to face nor would it have made the news!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, cvs04 said:

Not according to the defendant.  I've known him for 5 years and trust his word as to how the events unfolded.  Secondly the trolley was taken from KFC, security would be all over him like a rash if he had left the supermarket area and gone to KFC without paying first.  There is no doubt a timestamped receipt that would show this but they were not interested in any evidence just the story of the girl.  His side of events puts huge holes in the "official" account of the situation reported by the media.

If you've known him for 5 years, get a copy of his receipt & show us. 

Edited by faraday
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, transam said:

I agree, even if the bird was nicking his stuff, assaulting a bird is not the answer, a verbal lashing works well for the "face" loss...

If she was running away and refused to stop , there may have been no other option than to use physical force to make her stop .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

From the original story:

"She said she wai-ed in apology but the foreigner then kicked her in the other leg. 

She left to get her mother but by the time she returned the foreigner had paid up and left the store as if nothing had happened. "

I would question that version , Him going back to the KFC with his trolley , finishing whatever he was doing in KFC and then going back to scan and pay for the goods in the trolley took the same amount of time for her and her mother to walk from the car park back to the store ?

The former would take about 20 minutes. the latter would take about 1 minute .

3 hours ago, cvs04 said:

This guy is a customer of mine and has been for 5 years. I've always found him to be placid and a very nice guy. I spoke with him yesterday.

Whilst I don't condone the way he handled the situation it would appear there is far more to this story than meets the eye.

He had just finished his shopping in Big C and was with his daughter who is about 12. They went for a kfc and put the trolley to one side whilst they queued and ordered food.

Distracted whilst ordering food he turned round to see the woman walking away with his trolley which had 6000 baht, already paid for, worth of goods he'd just bought plus his car keys etc etc. As far as he was aware it was the only trolley there so not sure how she made a mistake and thought it was hers.

He shouted her to stop and she started to run with the trolley. He gave chase and booted her up the backside to stop her. Maybe she turned and he caught her hip instead or maybe the bruise was from something else unrelated.

The tourist policeman is somewhat notorious amongst the farang community here shall we say.

I believe neither he or his daughter were given any opportunity to speak during the Police interview. He was told if he tried to challenge the plaintiff in court he would get 3 years in jail unless he paid her off. The cctv footage apparentely looked to be cut and didn't show the event as it unfolded.

If he had been a Thai man in this situation I suspect it would be the girl being charged. However it's a farang and whenever that happens there's a big story, the farang loses some money and then defamed in the media. Remember it's always the farangs fault unless there is a nearby Burmese they can pin it on instead.

Does he accept that it was a genuine mistake of taking the wrong trolley , or does he think this was deliberate attempted theft ?

It seems rather odd that she began running , if someones coming from behind you in a car park trying to get your attention , the normal reaction is to stop and see what they want 

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Does he accept that it was a genuine mistake of taking the wrong trolley , or does he think this was deliberate attempted theft ?

It seems rather odd that she began running , if someones coming from behind you in a car park trying to get your attention , the normal reaction is to stop and see what they want 

It is his belief she was trying to escape once he shouted after her, whether to dump the trolley and disappear because she had been rumbled or to try and keep the trolley/contents for herself he isn't sure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

That you are looking for his side of the story to somehow justify his actions, suggests to me that your moral compass is in need of recalibration.

There is no justification for kicking a woman the way that he did, so stop looking for it; only a bully and a coward kicks a woman, and that’s exactly what this reprobate is. You’ve called this one incorrectly, and would be better served putting your hand up to that fact, rather than continuously diminishing your own credibility defending him.

If a thief is running off with your belongings and car keys , with the potential to drive off in your car , and they refuse to stop running , even after you have asked them to stop .

Then, IMO, its quite justifiable to push them over to make them stop running .

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

No, the photo was in the original report 

11pm.jpg

That doesnt look like a kick mark , looks more like a collision with a shopping trolley .

This was indeed the picture i remembered. It looked serious but the pic in the article does not look that serious. 

Good to know I am not going crazy.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I would have stopped the trolley....????

Not often that I agree with Trans.

Yes I mean the guy was bigger and not pushing a trolley. He could have overtaken her running stopped the trolley and be done with it (maybe get security involved). I don't see how a big guy could not have stopped this trolley without violence.

So the woman was not innocent but certainly did not deserve what she got.

• Like 1