British man lucky to survive after fire destroys Jomtien apartment

rooster59

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I was thinking the same no smoke alarms I've got them in all my properties, <deleted> they are cheap enough to buy, in my rental properties it's good way to stop people smoking I always make them aware of them, I have one condo and the smoke alarms are wired to the main security room and I warn the guest about them, set that off through smoking 2000 Baht fine

The block has smoke detectors and fire alarms, Not sure why people are thinking otherwise. 

Given that the occupant was on the balcony on the phone, its probably the fire system that alerted security, summoned the fire brigade etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I was walking past as this happened, I initially thought they were having their annual system test and fire drill, until I looked up and saw the fire.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I’m impressed he was able to get on to the balcony below. I wonder how he managed that? That looks like a very dangerous manoeuvre. It just shows how quickly a fire takes hold. It makes sense to have an escape plan for fire.

Me, too. He needed to have affixed some sort of hands-free GoPro so that he might video the escape for posterity.  This just isn't as entertaining as it could have been with a little more prep.

Escape plan, yes, and more. I'm surprised our TVF Fire Marshalls have only mentioned smoke detectors. My building also has several well-placed staircases--if you can get to one of them from your room. No, the doors at the bottom aren't locked from the outside.

But I also have my own fire extinguisher (HomePro, Lazada--recommended; might have saved our nimble Brit the risk) and 20 meters of climbing rope left over from another application. (Perhaps a keyboard TVF Air Assault Commando will come along with serious advice re: ropes and equipment.) And I've plenty of paracord with which to lower a duffel full of cash (to waiting hands) and my hard drive.

I'm not paranoid enough to get a rope ladder or anything, but maybe these will be helpful in a worst-case scenario. I can only marvel that the Brit in the OP managed so well unaided.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I'm not paranoid enough to get a rope ladder or anything, but maybe these will be helpful in a worst-case scenario. I can only marvel that the Brit in the OP managed so well unaided.

I'm toying with getting an escape ladder or better still a harness, rope and abseil down, Bond style

• Like 1