I am allowed to help my wife on our farm of 6 rai?

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not in Phuket, there was a guy helping his wife to carry stuff to a market stall he eventually got lifted for it

Helping the wife carrying stuff or helping the wife selling the stuff and maybe handling money? there's a difference. But yeah maybe you are right. Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya are farang traps

• Like 2

It will depend on how nervous you get and the area you live. My wife had a commercial market garden and I was the general laborer and never had a problem. She now has a small operation and all of the locals and customers know I help out but not in the actual harvesting (labor laws can be a good excuse to not do something).

The local puu yai knows what I do so maybe talk your puu yai who can also help if someone grasses you to the police. Get to know him/her as they are the important people in the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Robin said:

I would happily pay Thais to do more work in my place if:-

1. They would turn up on time.

2.  They could do a decent job.

3. They would do what I want them to do and not what they think they should do.

4.  They had the right tools to do the job and not want to borrow and then keep my tools.

5.  Not break something, while doing the job you asked them to do leaving you to repair whatever.

On 1/4/2021 at 6:34 AM, bwpage3 said:

If someone can hear a drill behind closed doors, the walls must be made out of paper?

Drilling with a hammer drill into concrete walls....reverberates across the entire row of townhouses I live in.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, Mavideol said:

you still have to be careful even if it's indoors, one of my friends was redecorating his condo, closed doors but had to drill a couple holes and here they came and told to immediately stop

complete BS. Troll post

We. have a business on a busy road (large building) exposed to many cars driving past. I recently went to immigration to ask if I can paint the outside when I don't have a WP. He said no problem as long as you're not getting paid for it. 

If I were the OP I would go and do the same at your local immigration office. Just ask them if its ok based on the fact that there's no salary. They will likely say go for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS1 said:

The circumstances you described are exactly where the law changed in March 2018If you are working for no income, such as as a volounteer, you no longer need a work permit like in the past. I attended a seminar at the Danish embassy with the president of the foreign employee division from the Ministry of Labour, who explained these changes during the event and answered all our questions. 

You can find some more information in this article that explains the changes in detail: http://www.naritlaw.com/Resources/Thailands New Work Permit Law_NARITLAW.pdf

"Second, in order to be deemed “work” under the new definition, a foreigner must do it as an occupation to earn a wage. This is the good news for many foreigners. If any foreigner does any work not as an occupation for no wage (i.e. working as volunteer for the benefit of general public), the foreigner’s activity shall not be deemed the “work” under the Emergency Decree No. 2."

good luck with that then

On 1/3/2021 at 6:34 PM, bwpage3 said:

If someone can hear a drill behind closed doors, the walls must be made out of paper?

Let's see? To drill a couple of holes, less than 60 seconds.

Yet here are the police, like Superman, showing up in <60 seconds to tell him to stop?

Sure.

Drilling can carry on many floors. The sound and vibration carry in concrete building. they were doing exterior concrete work, other side of my building and I heard it.

15 hours ago, seajae said:

we just built a new house and I have done all the painting inside & out, all the fences and will paint the hothouse when the render has aged a bit, as  a tradesman I was not going to let anyone else touch it  especially just laborers/non tradesmen, the main reason is that I wanted it done properly. We had laborers lay the lawns over the weekend but I will be doing all the land scaping with my wifes help again because I want it done properly.  

There are many skilled workmen in my area. 

22 hours ago, SS1 said:

How many years ago was this, out of interest? The law has changed a couple of years ago and it's now more clear that if you're doing work that doesn't earn you any income, it's no longer considered work. 

I would say whatever OP is doing for their own property is OK, but not e.g. catching fish for commercial purposes. 

That makes no sense. A work permit is required even for volunteer work. 

16 hours ago, seajae said:

we just built a new house and I have done all the painting inside & out, all the fences and will paint the hothouse when the render has aged a bit, as  a tradesman I was not going to let anyone else touch it  especially just laborers/non tradesmen, the main reason is that I wanted it done properly. We had laborers lay the lawns over the weekend but I will be doing all the land scaping with my wifes help again because I want it done properly.  

I do all that stuff too, but the OP is about helping his wife in her business, which is to make money, very different...

I've been 'working' here for 11 years without a work permit. Firstly I don't handle the money side of the business. We employ many people and I 'assist' them ( advice/information/direct). BiB are on the payroll and I don't tread on  anyone's feet. Without my business a number of people would be a lot worse off so I've never had a problem.

Around your own property should never be a problem in my view. 

39 minutes ago, DavisH said:

That makes no sense. A work permit is required even for volunteer work. 

It is not required if the volunteering is unpaid as the law changed in 2018. Quoting my own earlier reply:

4 hours ago, SS1 said:

The circumstances you described are exactly where the law changed in March 2018If you are working for no income, such as as a volounteer, you no longer need a work permit like in the past. I attended a seminar at the Danish embassy with the president of the foreign employee division from the Ministry of Labour, who explained these changes during the event and answered all our questions. 

You can find some more information in this article that explains the changes in detail: http://www.naritlaw.com/Resources/Thailands New Work Permit Law_NARITLAW.pdf

"Second, in order to be deemed “work” under the new definition, a foreigner must do it as an occupation to earn a wage. This is the good news for many foreigners. If any foreigner does any work not as an occupation for no wage (i.e. working as volunteer for the benefit of general public), the foreigner’s activity shall not be deemed the “work” under the Emergency Decree No. 2."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SS1 said:

It is not required if the volunteering is unpaid as the law changed in 2018. Quoting my own earlier reply:

What about working on a wife's farm that is in operation to make money....?

To me, it is working to make money for his/her family...If a farang cannot be a waiter in a wife's cafe, where she is making money, surely it is the same thing...?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, transam said:

What about working on a wife's farm that is in operation to make money....?

To me, it is working to make money for his/her family...If a farang cannot be a waiter in a wife's cafe, where she is making money, surely it is the same thing...?

That is a good question - would be interesting to see an actual court case. I agree with you and also in my opinion, if he is working on the farm for financial gain for the family then it would be considered work. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, Mavideol said:

you still have to be careful even if it's indoors, one of my friends was redecorating his condo, closed doors but had to drill a couple holes and here they came and told to immediately stop,  fined 60 K or be deported... who turn him in ???? anybody's guess  555

I find that hard to believe. He should not have paid and taken the matter to court, that is not employment.

Does nobody ever question these on the spot fines?  I know things are different in Thailand but I doubt that so many of the offences we read about are actually able to be dealt with in that way. Mind you, if people are daft enough to pay without challenging it, they will continue doing it.

Its much like getting pulled over for speeding when you weren't - I've politely told them to get stuffed several times. I've paid once - when I was actually speeding.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

I live in Chaiyaphum and cannot find workers to work for 500 baht a day on the farm so I do all the work myself. I brought a tractor and slasher to cut the grass, a posthole borer for the fencinig and spray packs for spraying. we only have 2 Rai but now I do not rely on anyone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, smiggley said:

I live in Chaiyaphum and cannot find workers to work for 500 baht a day on the farm so I do all the work myself. I brought a tractor and slasher to cut the grass, a posthole borer for the fencinig and spray packs for spraying. we only have 2 Rai but now I do not rely on anyone else.

Working on your wife 's farm is a faint but real risk. I did it for 5 1/2 years and never got caught out mowing drainlaying all sorts of things including painting, lots of painting and some carpentry and house modifications. In different parts of Thailand the attitude is different when it comes to finding people to work on your property. I know that in much of the North, people are lining up for jobs apparently but where we were living. It was difficult to find any workers skilled or not. Nobody would work for under $500 today and even providing a house with electricity waste and rice did not improve our chances. Too many factories around and anyone not employed in a factory is either a alcoholic, drug addict or a criminal risk There was no option but for me to do it but now I've returned to my Home Country and don't have to worry about it.  It is also true that if your family in LOS have good relationships with everybody around the risk is very small. But if you family have some local feuds going on then I guess it's  "watch out."