I am allowed to help my wife on our farm of 6 rai?

On 1/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, orchis said:

I help with longan and rice harvest, moving machines and transporting wood. No one cares except the armchair labour law experts on Thai visa. com.

I used to work for a certain government, that's all I can tell you.

You are at 16.44671, 102.833 and I'm currently taking pictures of your land, designating 11 satellites on your property in case falang tries to operate equipment.  Please, raise your right hand and show your work permit.

Good, now who is that in the bedroom.............that looks like my wife!!!!~!~!!!!!!!!! 

• Haha 1

I've only had one instance of being questioned about work, when we lived in rural Sa Kaeo province 2009-10 I cut down a stand of mature trees, up to around 15-20m height. Had two to go when a policeman arrived, he was not interested in my working, just over what I was going to do with the timber, as there are restrictions on the sale of some varieties, permit required. It was being donated to local craftsmen, something for the temple; all ok. Basically a 'keep up the good work '.

I renovated a classic style 2-level Thai farmhouse on the same property, attracted lots of attention from every 'expert' on my carpentry and painting skills. Lots of advice, but not much in the way of actual help. Never an issue with police. 

No different here in Chanthaburi, I've been thanked for my work clearing and maintaining an area of no-man's-land behind our house for the last 4 years. Seems I'm now the only farang* in town (pop 9000) since Covid, guess it would be easy to point me out as an illegal worker I don't exactly blend in !

* Note on above, off topic, there used to be several older (guess 70+) Dutch and German in our area, guess they went back to home countries when Covid hit, none have returned. Suppose this may have happened in many areas? We know one from UK has passed away he returned to England for better healthcare, sad.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, Mavideol said:

you still have to be careful even if it's indoors, one of my friends was redecorating his condo, closed doors but had to drill a couple holes and here they came and told to immediately stop,  fined 60 K or be deported... who turn him in ???? anybody's guess  555

I'll take a guess that your friend didn't get a receipt for the fine.

Working on your own property is not employment its DIY- confirmed by my lawyer.  I carried out much of the refurbishment on my property and my next door neighbour is a policeman. If I'd had such a problem there is no way I would have paid any fine unless it was issued by a court.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, SS1 said:

That is a good question - would be interesting to see an actual court case. I agree with you and also in my opinion, if he is working on the farm for financial gain for the family then it would be considered work. 

I understand your thinking but that could be confusing.  The relevant Thai law does not consider whether payment is received or not. The question is, whether the activity can be considered as employment.

Thus (my opinion but based on a conversation with my lawyer) growing vegetables for your own consumption on a farm could not be considered as 'employment'. However, you may have to prove that none of the 'fruits of your labour' (pun intended) were offered for sale or other gain/exchange/barter or could otherwise be considered as 'employment'.

Too many people it seems, simply pay the police for these 'fines' without challenge.  I'd think its a safe bet that none of the 'fines' are recorded at the police station.

Edited by KhaoYai

Similarly , the guy who lives down the road works on his land and often crosses the road on his small tractor . Doesn`t seem to be a problem .

I was surprised though when I checked into a small hotel in Patts , the lady behind the counter I would guess was Russian - can`t see haw that can be legal ?

On our farm of 30 rai I am the only person who drives the tractor.

This is mainly because the tractor is fifty years old and I have the mechanical sympathy to keep it running pretty much for ever.  Others do not.

The property is reasonably secluded but even if I ran into trouble with 'the authorities' I am well prepared to deal with that consequence.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, persimmon said:

Similarly , the guy who lives down the road works on his land and often crosses the road on his small tractor . Doesn`t seem to be a problem .

I was surprised though when I checked into a small hotel in Patts , the lady behind the counter I would guess was Russian - can`t see haw that can be legal ?

Maybe Russians own that Hotel!

On 1/3/2021 at 8:05 PM, BritManToo said:

Odd, because I'm often doing a bit of cutting/drilling/welding in the front garden/driveway/road and nobody seems to care. Building frames for solar panels and making rabbit run/cage, repairing my fence or gate.

The local builders wanted 3000bht for a simple cut/reposition//weld job on my gate, I countered with an offer of 300bht, they refused so I cut and welded it while they watched, about 30 minutes work.

I have seen photos of your welding.  Only a Thai would be impressed by it....

On 1/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, GreasyFingers said:

The local puu yai knows what I do so maybe talk your puu yai who can also help if someone grasses you to the police. Get to know him/her as they are the important people in the area.

The Orbortor is one of my neighbors.  He moors his fishing boat next to mine.  A week or so ago I helped him repair some dings in the bottom of his boat, sand it back to prep it, and then redo the entire surface with new gelcoat.  He thanked me for my help but did not ask me if I had a work permit. 

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 4:13 PM, thaisail said:

to buy a net so that when it is time, I can run the net across the pond and collect the fish for market.

i think you should know the answer for this one. you said 'for the market' that counts work. you are not getting fish for yourself but for the market, selling.. well.. its a job. 

I also have a few jobs to do like fitting some PVC pipes along the house to connect the new well to the storage tank and do other plumbing jobs to connect the new pump.

few jobs.. you said it yourself.. jobs.. was it only 1 house? did they pay for it? if they paid and you took it, its job. 

I have also done all the PPR plastic pipe welding for the hot water system because our contractor was not familiar with this process and that was the only way I could get the pipe work completed.

now this is not a job. you did it for your house. 

my opinion is you should take it easy. it seems you know a lot about plumbing but its better to keep it yourself. i know its a small place but it seems you are eager to do some 'jobs'.. dont

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

The Orbortor is one of my neighbors.  He moors his fishing boat next to mine.  A week or so ago I helped him repair some dings in the bottom of his boat, sand it back to prep it, and then redo the entire surface with new gelcoat.  He thanked me for my help but did not ask me if I had a work permit. 

This is called integrating into the community, I think it would be a great idea if we were "allowed" to "help" a little bit more, it might change a few local opinions.

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, The Deerhunter said:

anyone not employed in a factory is either a alcoholic, drug addict or a criminal risk

True. 

We have farm properties totaling about 20 rai in Loei Province.  Finding locals to do almost anything is very difficult. Those not fitting the description above, are either too old, too involved with minding grandkids or too busy with their own land holdings. Labour is almost impossible to find. I'm worried how our 6 rai of ripening corn will be picked and packed by just the wife.

I do what I can from my wheelchair, such as cutting lawns, weed control, fish feeding, etc., to the amusement of passersby, but have no qualms about anyone getting officious about the legality.  When active at all, the police are mainly concerned about the amount of yaba being funneled through the local highways or the antics of local users.

Don't overthink it, people that got fined or even deported for working on their property were asholes looking for trouble with their neighbors (and therefore got reported) or lived in touristy areas where labor dept rules are strictly applied(let's say you renovate a townhouse in central Chiang Mai and people see you hanging outside painting it, that would be high risk). I looked up Chiang Khan, you are in the middle of nowhere... no one will ever bother you.

Edited by Lacrimas

19 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

I've only had one instance of being questioned about work, when we lived in rural Sa Kaeo province 2009-10 I cut down a stand of mature trees, up to around 15-20m height. Had two to go when a policeman arrived, he was not interested in my working, just over what I was going to do with the timber, as there are restrictions on the sale of some varieties, permit required. It was being donated to local craftsmen, something for the temple; all ok. Basically a 'keep up the good work '.

I renovated a classic style 2-level Thai farmhouse on the same property, attracted lots of attention from every 'expert' on my carpentry and painting skills. Lots of advice, but not much in the way of actual help. Never an issue with police. 

No different here in Chanthaburi, I've been thanked for my work clearing and maintaining an area of no-man's-land behind our house for the last 4 years. Seems I'm now the only farang* in town (pop 9000) since Covid, guess it would be easy to point me out as an illegal worker I don't exactly blend in !

* Note on above, off topic, there used to be several older (guess 70+) Dutch and German in our area, guess they went back to home countries when Covid hit, none have returned. Suppose this may have happened in many areas? We know one from UK has passed away he returned to England for better healthcare, sad.

Yeah cutting woods and timber can be troublesome and you need a permit usually for that. Probably wasn't a policeman but a ranger right?