Pattaya Covid Hospitalization

TyJames

5 hours ago, Histavia said:

It is experience of many countries that the 2nd wave is bigger than theorist......and who knows, there may be a third.  so far Thailand has et off very lightly with Covid. Why is not so obvious..... It may be management, or a strict military regime, climate or just good luck. 

One thing that is certain if Covid showed up in similar numbers to the West, the healthcare system in Thailand would not cope....in fat the level at which it would collapse has not been identified ...... Testing is the best defence - and organising mass testing is again a difficult task for any country. Remember the vaccines will probably not have significant effect until the end of this year.

And the only thing you where doing was? Oh Yes! It´s called speculating. Might you be from UK or US, and envious of Thailand? Feel the need to miscredit their good work? Where are your facts, dude?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Histavia said:

It is experience of many countries that the 2nd wave is bigger than theorist......and who knows, there may be a third.  so far Thailand has et off very lightly with Covid. Why is not so obvious..... It may be management, or a strict military regime, climate or just good luck. 

One thing that is certain if Covid showed up in similar numbers to the West, the healthcare system in Thailand would not cope....in fat the level at which it would collapse has not been identified ...... Testing is the best defence - and organising mass testing is again a difficult task for any country. Remember the vaccines will probably not have significant effect until the end of this year.

There seems an obvious climate pattern. As soon as UK and Europe hit winter the virus figures jumped. Viruses usually travel in water in the air. We are lucky it doesn't seem very humid here at present. Hopefully Thailand's outdoor, open air lifestyle helps stop transmission too.

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

8 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

There seems an obvious climate pattern. As soon as UK and Europe hit winter the virus figures jumped. Viruses usually travel in water in the air. We are lucky it doesn't seem very humid here at present. Hopefully Thailand's outdoor, open air lifestyle helps stop transmission too.

the "climate pattern" may not =be as obvious as you think. Many countries in South America with tropical climates suffered terribly.

There are various climate related factors.....firstly the "flu season" (which is considered to be the prime season for Covid) - is not necessarily due to the temperature but to human behaviour......when the weather gets cold, people huddle together in pubs restaurants  and indoors in general. So not necessarily Temp but proximity of bodies.

In the west we shake hands even kiss.

It appears that the Covid virus MAY do better in cold weather but this is not proven yet.

The Covid virus seems to travel in aerosol droplets but it also stays on surfaces.

In fact there is no satisfactory explanation as yet as to why Thailand is so Covid free........ it may have had  head start with the tradition of wearing masks or Wai-ing or even draconian measures by the military -based government. 

14 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

And the only thing you where doing was? Oh Yes! It´s called speculating. Might you be from UK or US, and envious of Thailand? Feel the need to miscredit their good work? Where are your facts, dude?

This speculation is based on evidence - you argument is based on my personal location....basically you have not presented a valid argument in response.

15 hours ago, Histavia said:

the "climate pattern" may not =be as obvious as you think. Many countries in South America with tropical climates suffered terribly.

There are various climate related factors.....firstly the "flu season" (which is considered to be the prime season for Covid) - is not necessarily due to the temperature but to human behaviour......when the weather gets cold, people huddle together in pubs restaurants  and indoors in general. So not necessarily Temp but proximity of bodies.

In the west we shake hands even kiss.

It appears that the Covid virus MAY do better in cold weather but this is not proven yet.

The Covid virus seems to travel in aerosol droplets but it also stays on surfaces.

In fact there is no satisfactory explanation as yet as to why Thailand is so Covid free........ it may have had  head start with the tradition of wearing masks or Wai-ing or even draconian measures by the military -based government. 

I haven't seen many draconian measures from the government. Where I live people are walking around without masks, sitting in restaurants without masks, having visitors. People's behaviour related to cold weather is climate related. I don't see many people huddling together in the cold on Thailand. If the virus is on surfaces in a hot climate in the sun I'm pretty sure the heat will kill it quickly. I am not disagreeing with you just think we are saying similar things except I think this time round the government has been totally incompetent.  If they acted quicker and were more decisive  it would probably be 0 cases now. 

4 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I haven't seen many draconian measures from the government. Where I live people are walking around without masks, sitting in restaurants without masks, having visitors. People's behaviour related to cold weather is climate related. I don't see many people huddling together in the cold on Thailand. If the virus is on surfaces in a hot climate in the sun I'm pretty sure the heat will kill it quickly. I am not disagreeing with you just think we are saying similar things except I think this time round the government has been totally incompetent.  If they acted quicker and were more decisive  it would probably be 0 cases now. 

Shutting the country down to all tourists, restricting movement within the country closing bars etc...not draconian?

17 minutes ago, Histavia said:

Shutting the country down to all tourists, restricting movement within the country closing bars etc...not draconian?

You are obviously in town. Sure what survived of the entertainment industry in Pattaya has shut down but I am outside town about 10 kms. There are a couple of massage shops which are closex but everything else is open. Many are wearing masks but some aren't. The restaurants are full of people sitting and eating with no masks or special arrangements. It scares me a little seeing it. We are on Sukumvit Rd and it is full of cars and trucks. I heard a boss can just fill out a transitcexemption for workers.

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

On 1/12/2021 at 4:32 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

small price to pay IMO considering you're looking out for your own health and more importantly, that of others.

Small price for most foreigners, but it's my understanding covid testing for Thai's is only free if you are in an at risk group. I take that mean, all other Thai's must pay. 

How many of them can not afford to pay, and can not afford to self isolate, as they need to work, thus, spreading the disease?  

50 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Small price for most foreigners, but it's my understanding covid testing for Thai's is only free if you are in an at risk group. I take that mean, all other Thai's must pay. 

How many of them can not afford to pay, and can not afford to self isolate, as they need to work, thus, spreading the disease?  

The numbers here are tiny, nothing to worry about IMO.

Are you suggesting Thai's don't test for free?

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The numbers here are tiny, nothing to worry about IMO.

Are you suggesting Thai's don't test for free?

Many articles about it, here's just one.  The was a more recent article in the BP,  which I can not quote here.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394101

Free for "at risk" people, not just people with symptoms.  

So, I gather, if a Thai has symptoms, but isn't a close contact, or from an area with an outbreak, they are either refused a test, or that have to pay.  

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Many articles about it, here's just one.  The was a more recent article in the BP,  which I can not quote here.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394101

Free for "at risk" people, not just people with symptoms.  

So, I gather, if a Thai has symptoms, but isn't a close contact, or from an area with an outbreak, they are either refused a test, or that have to pay.  

Well with a system like that they'll continue to get more cases here won't they?

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Well with a system like that they'll continue to get more cases here won't they?

Wrong.

No, they won't, because people will not pay to be tested.  No positive test = no cases.  

Deaths, on the other hand, well, that's a different question.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1