Pattaya Covid Hospitalization

TyJames

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The spread of colds and flu has drastically reduced, I for one have felt better the last 10 months than previous years, less things about. 

YouTube will show you different symptoms of cold, flu, Covid

Or be paranoid like me and keep a small bottle of Tiger Balm handy when you get any snuffles. Apparently loss of senses of smell and taste are symptoms.

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

This issue has come up before. 

As a foreigner, if you feel ill, and do the right thing by going to get tested, if you have it, you could end up with a huge bill at the end of 2 weeks in hospital, even if you do not progress to life threatening covid, needing ICU.

End result will probably be foreigners not seek medical treatment until they are extremely ill, possibly spreading the disease for the previous 10 days.  

Surely the right thing to do if you feel sick would be to isolate at home for two weeks alone unless of course you showed serious symptoms that would require medical attention.

Why would you end up with a huge bill, that's what insurance is for right?

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

So turn potentially infected individuals away, sending them back into the community.  Only test those on deaths door.  Great policy.

Testing and tracing is vital to suppressing the virus. 

Thailand was lucky the first time around.  Maybe not this time.    

The safest thing for the individual is to stay isolated at home, then there's not contact with anyone.

It's the asymptomatic cases that are the 'super spreaders'

Don't forget that there's a flu bug going around at the moment which is infecting far more people than Covid as there are no measures being taken to control it.

If you've got a cough or a runny nose, it probably is just a cold or the flu. Covid symptoms usually include a persistent, dry cough, so if you've coughing up lots of mucus there's almost certainly no need to worry.

(Though it's probably best to lay off the Chang and Sangsom chasers for a few days, lol)

18 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Not if you're insured like we're all suppose to be.

Even though the vast majority of people infected by Covid-19 will be either asymptomatic or present mild symptoms nevertheless apparently you will be sequestered by the government to some kind of facility and in the case of a foreigner this is at their own expense.

In the absence of any medical need for such, will the average medical insurance policy pay out for this?

What about Thai Social Security for those that work, will they pay?

5 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Even though the vast majority of people infected by Covid-19 will be either asymptomatic or present mild symptoms nevertheless apparently you will be sequestered by the government to some kind of facility and in the case of a foreigner this is at their own expense.

In the absence of any medical need for such, will the average medical insurance policy pay out for this?

What about Thai Social Security for those that work, will they pay?

Certainly like to think insurance would cover this cost.

No idea about Thai SS.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Insurance can be a scam though, exclusions and clauses will catch you out when you try to claim, I have a recent example of that, not paying a claim and it isn't even excluded. Plus the unaffordability of it for many when you get to 70,75,80,85 when you need it the most. Most people have no idea what their cover is and how much it will go up at different ages

Yeah i agree, i have a friend going through a claim just now that sounds like nothing but a ball ache.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

That's not true, Cheryl.  Many countries are doing mass testing.  

Here's a random article that's 5 days old.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-54872039

Here's an article showing it's free in the UK, if you have symptoms.  Once again, mass testing.

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

It appears to me, Thailand either doesn't want to pay for mass testing, or doesn't have the resources for mass testing, or both.  

The below is unacceptable, and if that's their testing policy, it's a disgrace.

Britain is not a place where "where recent COVID  cases are few or none. "

Countries with comparatively few cases do targeted testing, they do not test everyone with symotoms of a cold in the whole country.

The normal epidemiological procedure for handling a concentrated epidemic differs significantly from that for a generalized epidemic

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WuhanVagabond said:

It's not like the world's population has magically stopped having regular colds and flu because of the Chinese virus;

Actually the regular colds flu has magically stopped around the world.It's pretty common knowledge.It seems to be a virus thing you can check it out on google.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

At the pricest international hospitals in Bangkok it is about 6,000.

At government facilities about 3,500.

I am seriously trying to get back to Australia and the options are limited. I have enough to survive but am counting everything I spend. There are a lot of Australians in a similar situation as the Government is very flawed. 6000 b is a lot to me. 3500 b more manageable but I have been to Sri Racha hospital before and waited 6 hours for an appointment. I don't think there is an alternative in my area. I was quite sick. Unable to sleep at night because I was coughing so much. I was pretty sure it wasn't covid because Thailand  had no cases then and I don't believe the cover up theories but I was pretty sure if I turned up they would want to  test me. As you said maybe not.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Surely the right thing to do if you feel sick would be to isolate at home for two weeks alone unless of course you showed serious symptoms that would require medical attention.

Why would you end up with a huge bill, that's what insurance is for right?

Many insurance policies don't cover pandemic related illnesses.

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Mine does.

Any returnees recently should also have coverage.

My original insurance policy expired and they wouldn't reinsure because of covid. I could only find ones which didn't cover it. I don't want to stay here long enough to need a Thìai policy because I could only find for a year. I have recently done Roojai's covid only policy which makes me feel safer.

11 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I am seriously trying to get back to Australia and the options are limited. I have enough to survive but am counting everything I spend. There are a lot of Australians in a similar situation as the Government is very flawed. 6000 b is a lot to me. 3500 b more manageable but I have been to Sri Racha hospital before and waited 6 hours for an appointment. I don't think there is an alternative in my area. I was quite sick. Unable to sleep at night because I was coughing so much. I was pretty sure it wasn't covid because Thailand  had no cases then and I don't believe the cover up theories but I was pretty sure if I turned up they would want to  test me. As you said maybe not.

I am not clear whether you are still ill, or just now seeking COVID test to meet requirements for returning to Oz.

If the latter this is where to go:

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/FrontNews/covid19-med-certificate-en-2.html

3,500 baht, will issue certificate airlines will accept and can make appointment online

If you are on the other hand still ill, go to government hospital, preferrably the large one in Chonburi town. As Chonburi is now experiencing a rash of COVID cases they will surely test you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not clear whether you are still ill, or just now seeking COVID test to meet requirements for returning to Oz.

If the latter this is where to go:

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/FrontNews/covid19-med-certificate-en-2.html

3,500 baht, will issue certificate airlines will accept and can make appointment online

If you are on the other hand still ill, go to government hospital, preferrably the large one in Chonburi town. As Chonburi is now experiencing a rash of COVID cases they will surely test you.

No I was sick months ago. I was mainly referring about the uncertainty I felt, I suppose mainly due to the difficulty of finding what to do and the fear of a big bill. It was also the present feeling in the community that Farung carry Covid thanks to the Health Minister. There are very few planes to Australia which is my problem. I'll see you all at the testing centre anyway. Another post on the forum says they want all of Banglamung to contact them today. I know it can not be taken seriously but it does say something about the information that is available to us.

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

True of many travel policies, nto the case with most general health insurance.

I checked them but could not find one for less than a year. I have been on a six months here, six months there cycle till Covid came.

It is possible (not sure)  they will open up dedicated COVID testing sites for the general public in the "red" provinces. If so, it is also possible (not sure) that farangs could get tested at them for free.   It may  depend on how many cases not in migrants or directly linked to migrants are identified in the coming week or so.

Whether or not you want to get pre-emptively tested for COVID if you are asymptomatic (given that mandatory hospitalization will follow) is another matter.

For people seeking a test for travel purposes need also to consider type of test, timing  and whether appropriate certificate will be issued.

Be wary of leaving it too long. I have a minor heart problem so spoke to my Cardiologist about it. He seems to think that early treatment is the key to succesful recovery. Whether hes right or wrong who knows but guessing he is more qualified than Social Media Medics 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RayongBudgie said:

Be wary of leaving it too long. I have a minor heart problem so spoke to my Cardiologist about it. He seems to think that early treatment is the key to succesful recovery. Whether hes right or wrong who knows but guessing he is more qualified than Social Media Medics 

I wonder if people will get the treatment they need if hospitals get swamped 

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is possible (not sure)  they will open up dedicated COVID testing sites for the general public in the "red" provinces. If so, it is also possible (not sure) that farangs could get tested at them for free.   It may  depend on how many cases not in migrants or directly linked to migrants are identified in the coming week or so.

Whether or not you want to get pre-emptively tested for COVID if you are asymptomatic (given that mandatory hospitalization will follow) is another matter.

For people seeking a test for travel purposes need also to consider type of test, timing  and whether appropriate certificate will be issued.

From the scant information that seems available the new cases in Chonburi have decreased. My wife has said that there were no cases yesterday and from looking online I can find nothing to contradict that except a stupid post saying for all of several hundred thousand people in  Banglamung to contact them. The last information on TVF seems to be from Monday even though they say they have up to date reports except one saying they have reopened all the shopping malls.  Hopefully a testing centre is not necessary. There are very few planes to Australia so am not really worried much about that.

Dear All,

Happy New Near 2021 and hope you are all well in these trying times.

Phyathai Sriracha Hospital now have COVID testing on special offer for 3,700 baht (includes service fee etc)

and is available 7 days a week from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm. No appointment needed as it's a walk in service.

For more information email [email protected] or call 089 7500293

Best regards,

Gavin Waddell

International Marketing Manager

Phyathai Sriracha Hospital

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Dear All,

Happy New Near 2021 and hope you are all well in these trying times.

Phyathai Sriracha Hospital now have COVID testing on special offer for 3,700 baht (includes service fee etc)

and is available 7 days a week from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm. No appointment needed as it's a walk in service.

For more information email [email protected] or call 089 7500293

Best regards,

Gavin Waddell

International Marketing Manager

Phyathai Sriracha Hospital

Good to know. If positive what happens next? 

2 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

From the scant information that seems available the new cases in Chonburi have decreased. My wife has said that there were no cases yesterday and from looking online I can find nothing to contradict that except a stupid post saying for all of several hundred thousand people in  Banglamung to contact them. ...

I think this refers to an announcement asking visitors to Bang Lamung (and other "high risk areas") nto contact their local Health Depot.  I believe this is aimed at people living outside the "red" zone and aimed at preventing spread beyond those provinces. I don 't think it means people living in Bang Lamung.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think this refers to an announcement asking visitors to Bang Lamung (and other "high risk areas") nto contact their local Health Depot.  I believe this is aimed at people living outside the "red" zone and aimed at preventing spread beyond those provinces. I don 't think it means people living in Bang Lamung.

Unfortunately you need to write "I think" and "I believe". It is unfortunate public health announcements aren't clearer.  I am probably over cynical because I have been trying to keep track of what is happening in the local area by Facebook,Twitter, this forum, even a site that is meant to give up to date tracing but it is hard to follow, and find it quite difficult to find out. I suppose indicative of this is the OP needing to ask on TV forum what to do if he thinks he is infected. I know we are foreigners but it is a public health emergency as such.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

If medical authorities deem you infected with Covid, and authorities require 'hospitalization', I would expect them to pay. If I am quarantined at home, I don't have OPD and will get nothing!