Thailand orders a further 35 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

snoop1130

2 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I must admit to being baffled. Surely Thailand has committed to building a new vaccine production facility, you know the one announced with big fanfare, "we are the big boys of SE Asia, and we will save you all". Other countries in the region were relying on Thailand to have this facility up and running this year as promised, but now Thailand is ordering 35 million doses from AZ instead of manufacturing them. 

Hopefully Siam Bioscience get the job done so Thailand can manufacture enough vaccines for their own need and then start exporting, but it's not an easy task. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Unlikely. These are coming direct from AZ in Europe or India, Thailand is not going to ab able to fulfil this kind of supply

Production has begun, at the Thai facility, with a yearly target of 200 Million doses. It was reported here yesterday. 

Edited by rbkk
added link
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Production has begun, at the Thai facility, with a yearly target of 200 Million doses. It was reported here yesterday. 

200 million or 2 million?

In any case assuming Thailand will be doing production under COVAX agreements probably most is for export. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I must admit to being baffled. Surely Thailand has committed to building a new vaccine production facility, you know the one announced with big fanfare, "we are the big boys of SE Asia, and we will save you all". Other countries in the region were relying on Thailand to have this facility up and running this year as promised, but now Thailand is ordering 35 million doses from AZ instead of manufacturing them. 

I believe 200 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine are being produced in Thailand.  However, I also read that only 20 million of those are reserved for domestic use for some reason.  So sounds like it's mostly being done for export and profit.  Also, it is going to take them some time to ramp up production.  It's apparently not easy to produce this stuff in high volume.

I am not sure what these more recent announcements have to do with previous announcements.  If it means they are ramping up local production further, reserving more doses for domestic use, or if these additional doses are being imported.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

I

10 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

It's worldwide for the duration of the pandemic as far as I am aware

correct

they are hoping the money will come from future booster shots like the annual flu vaccine. Even if the make a fifty cents a shot that could add around a billion to the bottom line each year or two.

Cabinet acknowledges procurement of 63 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for Thais

8570674f4c7bdd43f2b35bbcc2709cdf_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A meeting of cabinet ministers has acknowledged the procurement of 63 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for Thai people this year.

The Government Spokesman, Anucha Burapachaisri, has advised the community that the cabinet meeting today acknowledged the procurement of additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine. Thailand is to purchase 2 million doses from Sinovac Biotech, a Chinese biopharmaceutical company. The vaccine for Thai people must be registered with the National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) of China and receive approval from Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) will be in charge of delivering the vaccine doses. The Department of Disease Control is in charge of the vaccine’s procurement and its distribution to the people. The budget to purchase the 2 million doses is 1.228 billion baht, and they will be delivered to Thailand as soon as possible.

The first lot of 200,000 doses will arrive in Thailand next month. The first delivery of vaccine will be given to health workers who are on the front line in high-risk areas of treatment of COVID-19 patients. They include some 20,000 personnel in Samut Sakhon, Rayong and Chonburi provinces and some 180,000 people in high-risk groups and other vulnerable groups. Another lot of 800,000 doses will arrive in March. The first group will then receive their second dose of the vaccine, or 200,000 doses in total. The remaining 600,000 doses will be administered to people in high-risk areas in the western and southern regions, as well as medical personnel and volunteers. In April, Thailand will receive 1 million vaccine doses, and they will be administered to 600,000 people in the second group and 400,000 other workers.

In addition, Thailand will receive 26 million doses from AstraZeneca in mid-2021. Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, has approved an additional procurement of 35 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine, to protect at least half the total population. As a result, Thailand will dispense 63 million doses of the vaccine in all areas of the population this year.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-01-05

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I thought I read previously that China's Sinovac wouldn't be used until Stage 3 trials were completed, and then apon FDA approval in Thailand.. 

It is now sounding like a done and confirmed deal.. I wonder who the Guinea pigs are going to be? 

10 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Unlikely. These are coming direct from AZ in Europe or India, Thailand is not going to ab able to fulfil this kind of supply

I watched a documentary which said that the Oxford crowd started planning the AZ vacinne back in January 2020, before it even left China, so Thailand has a long way to go unless they can get some clues from the AZ and others.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, owenm said:

I wonder who the Guinea pigs are going to be? 

Copied and pasted from the main article on page 1: 

The first delivery of the Sinovac vaccine will be administered among field workers in highly controlled areas like Samut Sakhon and Rayong, and vulnerable groups, government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said, indicating the main areas where there have been clusters in the recent outbreak.

Guess that answers it ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2