Thailand orders a further 35 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

So from what I'm reading the first 200,000 of the Chinese full untested vaccine will be given to the migrants workers and low income Thais of course for free.???? starting next month.

Guess they are saving the good stuff for ?

Hope there's no classifications of good and bad vaccine. It's not classified as whisk is classified..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Hope there's no classifications of good and bad vaccine. It's not classified as whisk is classified..

Even if there were I don't think they will tell you, they will get the Sino before anything else I haven't heard any leader jumping for joy about getting it?

In September I spoke to family in China and my relative gave me a sense something just wasn't right they were forcing people into quarantine and giving testing the vaccine many were afraid so they escape those province maybe the reason for the unofficial news of an outbreak?

Why is it that people assume that the Thai production of the Astra Zeneca  vaccine is automatically the "property" of Thailand? The Thai production is in assisting  total volume which also makes it more rapidly available to the Thai Govt. purchases.

It also seems ignored that the  Phizer  vaccine was distributed days after  US FDA approval from stockpiles made in anticipation. The same would apply to the  Sinofarm vaccine in anticipation of pending approval for which Thailand"s order is still subject to rather than being a guinea pig for!

It is also likely that  other vaccines will come available that information about  has been overshadowed or ignored or dismissed in public information.

1 minute ago, Percy P said:

It's only affective if your immune system is 100% .

3 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The multiple  thousands  who have been  part of the trials  have. Have you had news  of them  all dying?

No, so their immune system must have  been good. Simple as that.

Hopefully once the scurry calms down the 'government' will clarify their vaccine strategy.

They seem desperate right now, perhaps hubris allowed them to think they could "ride it out".

Even during the daily CCSA briefing they present a confusing array of statements regarding vaccines, really only committting to 2 m Sinovac doses, and vague references to millions of doses "later on".

Suspect local production (Siam BioScience) of the AZ vaccine, hopefully it is still effective in a year or two, is a long long way off.

Placing orders now is similar to aircraft orders, a long queue, which can't be jumped.

This COVAX thing seems to be more about equitable access especially for third-world countries.

Chula is said to be working on some candidates (mRNA), the name of the program though. 

“Covid-19 Vaccine for Thais” campaign  

https://www.chula.ac.th/en/news/36772/

So maybe some dodgy re-application of existing drugs for treatment, some herbal remedies and the odd amulet should do it for now?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I must admit to being baffled. Surely Thailand has committed to building a new vaccine production facility, you know the one announced with big fanfare, "we are the big boys of SE Asia, and we will save you all". Other countries in the region were relying on Thailand to have this facility up and running this year as promised, but now Thailand is ordering 35 million doses from AZ instead of manufacturing them. 

This is going to be an on going problem. By manufacturing in the future it will alleviate the need to "buy in". Like the flu vaccine.... I feel covid vaccines are going to be an annual necessity to effectively manage this going forward

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

funny how you build a factory to make the vaccine, even you have as good as ZERO death (65 in a year) than panic buy tens of millions of doses for a population, dying of  ????????  corona ?   65 out of 69.5 million ?

Obviously the bigger picture has gone over your head.

Without a vaccine for the Thai population the government would have little option other than keeping the borders closed.

The vaccine does not kill off the virus, it can still be transported around the world and those without immunisation would be the ones at risk.

• Haha 1

"The first delivery of the Sinovac vaccine will be administered among field workers...."

Am I the only person that feels there is something a bit unusual about the statement above ?

The first arrivals of the European vaccines are going to health workers and Government workers in the front line of the battle to control the virus and after that the older people etc.

The Chinese vaccine referred to above is going first to "field workers" who I understand will be farmers ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Unlikely. These are coming direct from AZ in Europe or India, Thailand is not going to ab able to fulfil this kind of supply

don't agree with you on this, they seem to want to wait for domestic production hence the timescale.

8 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

The Chinese vaccine referred to above is going first to "field workers" who I understand will be farmers ?

Pretty sure they mean the 1 million member volunteer health force.

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/feature-stories/detail/thailands-1-million-village-health-volunteers-unsung-heroes-are-helping-guard-communities-nationwide-from-covid-19

A rare bright spot in the Thai bureaucacy.

Edited by mtls2005

15 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I must admit to being baffled. Surely Thailand has committed to building a new vaccine production facility, you know the one announced with big fanfare, "we are the big boys of SE Asia, and we will save you all". Other countries in the region were relying on Thailand to have this facility up and running this year as promised, but now Thailand is ordering 35 million doses from AZ instead of manufacturing them. 

AZ is a private company. Even if manufactured in Thailand, the Thai government still needs to order and pay for the vaccine. That's how business works...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously the bigger picture has gone over your head.

Without a vaccine for the Thai population the government would have little option other than keeping the borders closed.

The vaccine does not kill off the virus, it can still be transported around the world and those without immunisation would be the ones at risk.

And how many die of Malaria, comment cold, Flu , tuberculosis , car accidents..look at the amount of death's over the 3 days new year holiday. But this VIrus has to be followed up. and maintained..Not wearing a mask is a problem were spite from one's mouth should someone be carrying the virus be transmitted into the air.

14 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

So from what I'm reading the first 200,000 of the Chinese full untested vaccine will be given to the migrants workers and low income Thais of course for free.???? starting next month.

Guess they are saving the good stuff for ?

Hope there no such thing as good or bad  vaccine .It all has to be approved.. 

37 minutes ago, sandyf said:

QUARANTINE the weak & the sick

that should have been done from the start

and let healthy people go on with their lives

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Percy P said:

And how many die of Malaria, comment cold, Flu , tuberculosis , car accidents..look at the amount of death's over the 3 days new year holiday. But this VIrus has to be followed up. and maintained..Not wearing a mask is a problem were spite from one's mouth should someone be carrying the virus be transmitted into the air.

References to other problems are irrelevant.

Globally covid infections are rising and that must be brought to an end, whether you agree or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

QUARANTINE the weak & the sick

that should have been done from the start

and let healthy people go on with their lives

Please do some research into percentage of healthy people who, if infected, need hospital treatment, and how many of those that do need intensive care.  Then compare with capacity of both. 

Then look at what percentage of the healthy population could get infected without overwhelming the medical facilities in your town/city/county/country.

PH

• Like 1