Pattaya: The beach is open but DO NOT drink alcohol, says mayor

webfact

Pattaya: The beach is open but DO NOT drink alcohol, says mayor

3pm.jpg

Picture: STV Pattaya

Pattaya's mayor told the Thai media yesterday that the beaches remain open despite the second wave of Covid-19. 

People could relax and use them for fitness activities. 

But Sontaya Khunpluem asked for the cooperation of tourists and the public in two main areas.

1. Do not gather in large groups

2. On no account bring alcohol to the beach to drink - that will spread the virus.

This order remains in place until further notice. 

But Sontaya said that Pattaya was not locked down - just following PM Prayuth Chan-ocha's Red Zone orders for Chonburi. 

The only place that is shut is Koh Larn that has a lockdown until 20th January. 

Sontaya warned that tessakit (municipal officers) police and volunteers would be patrolling the beaches to ensure compliance. 

Source: STV Pattaya

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-06

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Went to Pattaya beach on New Year's day about 9:30pm. Nearest other persons were one group about 25 metres away. Other than that the beach was deserted. We enjoyed a couple of beers with our food. Where's the risk in that? 

image.png.da3c2e72d27410d8a024507ba6c1a623.png

?

You are the exact reason why they do not want it. Sitting around in a group drinking.

Were all the people in your "group" tested for Covid recently?

If you got sick now after your little meeting then how would you feel about it?

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

To drink alcool on Pattaya beach was already forbidden since years

nothing new here. 

The message from the mayor is it will be now some enforcement of the law 

on this matter, so as usual we must be prepared for 1 or 2 foreigners fined

and exposed in the medias in the next days as an example for the others

it's up to you if you want to be the star of the day.

It should be a costly drink. imo it doesn't worth the risk

but i am sure there will be still few ''rebels'' thinking they can do it

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

To drink alcool on Pattaya beach was already forbidden since years

nothing new here. 

I never realised it was banned but there again i dont go on the beach in normal times.............appears the ban came in ,in 2017

http://www.thailawforum.com/blog/alcohol-sales-banned-pattaya-beaches

Oh well i/ll just sit at home and wait to die then................

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, transam said:

So now beer is a contributing factor to spreading C19, does the guy have a link to the scientific evidence... ?...????

Maybe they just took the lead from Boris Johnson who just yesterday banned take away alcohol In the UK. But coke and water is ok. 

Clever fella that Boris. He knows a thing or two about covid after having it caught it himself personally. 
The UK has banned delivery as well, as they don’t want people staying home alone drunk and self infecting themselves.

https://robbreport.com/food-drink/spirits/england-bans-alcohol-takeout-delivery-covid-surge-1234589676/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

I never realised it was banned but there again i dont go on the beach in normal times.............appears the ban came in ,in 2017

http://www.thailawforum.com/blog/alcohol-sales-banned-pattaya-beaches

Oh well i/ll just sit at home and wait to die then................

I go on the beach every day

the last thing i would want to see is the access closed during weeks like it was few months ago

there are a lot of other places where people can drink alcool

• Like 1

I think it's a bigger issue in terms of numbers along Jomtien beach road than Pattaya currently, far more activity beach wise throughout the Covid period. Locals traditionally having their picnics with alcohol and the old farangs with their 7-11 beers at sundown out to drag some of the street girls back for the night. It looks to me like some guys have just moved across the road to the beach to drink now that the bars in Soi 7/Soi Whitehouse etc have closed. Just the exact same as the previous shutdown which eventually saw some of them arrested and the beach being closed for all. Seems pretty selfish and I'm sure groundhog day will result because of it. 

Looking at the age demographic of them Covid could have a field day,. the seating around the Jomtien beach sign looks God's or Covid's waiting room at sunset. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

So alcohol contains the virus but wont spread unless your out in the open on the beach and no where else what a smart virus .

I think the idea is that alcohol engender and encourages large social gatherings, touching and breaking social distancing conventions.  Do people really need this explained to them or are they just being obtuse?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pattjock said:

Crazy rule about alcohol.

What they want to avoid is a group of people getting noisy, singing and dancing. Which happens when you mix khun Thai and alcohol. A farang sitting in a deck chair having a beer should be no problem when it comes to covid 19.

The problem is that they ban the alcohol and not the behavior. You can still be a small group on the beach getting noisy, singing and dancing.

That is the same as banning motorbikes to reduce traffic accidents instead of endorsing all the traffic laws that still excists

From what I saw last night I think it's pointless drawing distinctions between Thai and foreign behaviour,  group congregation and drinking were the common theme.  Unfortunately the majority who follow what they are being asked to do, even if they don't agree with it, will likely lose out to the few who push the limits to the point where further curbs are required. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, pattjock said:

The problem is that they ban the alcohol and not the behavior. You can still be a small group on the beach getting noisy, singing and dancing.

That is the same as banning motorbikes to reduce traffic accidents instead of endorsing all the traffic laws that still excists

Try to explain that to an American and their gun laws.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

2. On no account bring alcohol to the beach to drink - that will spread the virus.

It will? If I put 3-4 cans in a little cooler with some ice, can I not be safe?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1