'It's insurrection,' Biden says, as Trump supporters storm U.S. Capitol

webfact

6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

many Republicans (45%) actively support the actions of those at the Capitol, although as many expressed their opposition (43%).”

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/01/06/US-capitol-trump-poll

From the NY Times and Wash Post updates I read this morning TH time.

When the debate started in the Senate, about a dozen Republican Senators had signed onto trying to challenge the election results... After the attempted coup, that number fell to 5 or 6 depending on the particular state results being voted on.

In the House, at least prior to the attempted coup, about half of the Republicans had signed onto challenging the vote results.  I didn't catch what happened to that number AFTER the attempted coup.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From the NY Times and Wash Post updates I read this morning TH time.

When the debate started in the Senate, about a dozen Republican Senators had signed onto trying to challenge the election results... After the attempted coup, that number fell to 5 or 6 depending on the particular state results being voted on.

In the House, at least prior to the attempted coup, about half of the Republicans had signed onto challenging the vote results.  I didn't catch what happened to that number AFTER the attempted coup.

Loeffler rescinded on georgia. Only arizona and pennsylvania objected. Most senators withdrew their signatures.

Congress completes electoral count, finalizing Biden's win after violent delay from pro-Trump mob

Updated 0841 GMT (1641 HKT) January 7, 2021

(CNN)Congress has formally affirmed President-elect Joe Biden's 2020 victory, completing a final step in the electoral process after a mob incited by President Donald Trump breached the US Capitol on Wednesday and forced lawmakers to evacuate both the House and Senate chambers.

Vice President Mike Pence, who presided over the count conducted by a joint session of Congress, announced that Biden had won the Electoral College vote early Thursday after the House and Senate easily defeated Republican objections lodged against the votes sent by two states, Arizona and Pennsylvania.

The late-night session was anything but the normal routine for counting Electoral College votes, after the proceedings were halted for more than five hours while lawmakers were forced into lockdown by pro-Trump rioters that overran US Capitol Police.

But lawmakers vowed to finish what they had started, and the Senate reconvened just after 8 p.m. ET Wednesday, nearly six hours after it abruptly recessed.
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

This proves that what the president says, and his enablers and social media amplify, really does effect weak minded individuals.  This video kinda proves it.  Stunning how clueless some are.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/01/07/trump-capitol-riots-proud-vf-orig.cnn/video/playlists/congress-affirms-president-elect-biden-win/

That is sickening! Brainless simpletons every one of them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona

Rep. Paul Gosar, an Arizona Republican, objected to Arizona’s election results, along with Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas. 

Outcome The Senate voted 93-6 to reject the objection. The House also rejected the objection 303-121.

Pennsylvania

Rep. Scott Perry, a Pennsylvania Republican, objected to Pennsylvania's election results, along with Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri.

Outcome The Senate voted 92-7 to reject the objection. The House also rejected the objection 282-138.

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2021/01/politics/electoral-vote-count-congress-tracker/

About half of the original dozen Republican Senators who had vowed to challenge the election results ended up dropping out, leaving the 6-7 who still objected.

There are 211 Republicans in the House of Representatives, so more than half ended up voting against the election results in both of the above votes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

This proves that what the president says, and his enablers and social media amplify, really does effect weak minded individuals.  This video kinda proves it.  Stunning how clueless some are.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/01/07/trump-capitol-riots-proud-vf-orig.cnn/video/playlists/congress-affirms-president-elect-biden-win/

Read some of the comments on his latest Tweets. It’s mind-boggling. 

I don’t think you can reach these people anymore. It would be a mistake if Biden tried to reach out to them. Like trying to make your Alzheimer grandpa remember your names and put on his pants. I hope the new administration tries to tackle the root cases of what we are seeing today — social injustice, lack of education, no punishment of desinformation, fake news and hate speech, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

<snip>

I don’t think you can reach these people anymore. It would be a mistake if Biden tried to reach out to them.

<snip>

And yet that's his job. He has GOT to try and de-escalate the furious rhetoric.

• Like 1

Notice how incapable the US government has become.  On 9/11 they couldn't manage to get a fighter jet into the air and yet no generals were cashiered.  The US failed most in the worst at protecting their population from the Covid plague and then they can't manage actually to inject the vaccine.  And now they don't seem to be able to protect the seat of government despite that D.C. has an endless supply of cops and soldiers.

Can the US do anything right anymore?

• Like 1

Capitol breach prompts urgent questions about security failures

The storming of the U.S. Capitol by a mob of President Trump’s supporters on Wednesday was a disastrous failure of security: In a city on high alert, in a building with its own 2,000-officer police department, people forced their way into the sanctums of American democracy with nothing more than flagpoles, riot shields and shoves.

Nobody stopped them — and some officers were captured on video appearing to stand back as rioters streamed inside.

On Wednesday, while police were still struggling to eject the last intruders from the Capitol, current and former law enforcement officials said it appeared the U.S. Capitol Police and other agencies had failed to anticipate the size and intentions of the crowd that Trump urged to march up Pennsylvania Avenue to where lawmakers were gathered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/capitol-breach-security-failures/2021/01/06/e1e09b80-5061-11eb-b96e-0e54447b23a1_story.html

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

Trump pledges 'orderly' transition after riot and Biden win certification

(CNN)President Donald Trump publicly acknowledged that he would leave office on January 20 for the first time Thursday, pledging an orderly transfer of power after Congress affirmed President-elect Joe Biden's Electoral College win.

"Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th," Trump said in the statement, repeating false claims he has made throughout the last two months. "I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it's only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again."

Trump, who has refused to concede the election, had on Wednesday egged on supporters who would later storm the US Capitol in an attempt to stop lawmakers from counting the electoral votes. The riot left four people dead -- one woman was shot and three others had medical emergencies, according to police -- and left some in Trump's Cabinet holding preliminary talks about invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him from office, according to a well-placed GOP source.

he never once told the truth and you think he's going to start now.... nope, a liar always a liar, he's lying and waiting for the opportunity to create more Chaos

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jcsmith said:

The simplest question to ask anyone who still supports Trump is just that, do you honestly believe the country is in a better place now than it was 4 years ago? You'd have to be insane to think that was the case. The economy is in shambles, we've are the poster child for poor  handling of Covid with thousands of people dying a day while their fearless leader mocks wearing masks.

Yes, someone on TV last night. listing general points about the US said "the richest country in the world" and I immediately thought - for who?  Much like the UK, a minority of the population have become richer whilst those at the bottom of the pile get ever poorer. That's the case even when our economy is quoted as good.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Put that down to another of his lies. Mark my word, he will continue to resist with words and deeds. This man is beyond salvation. 

he's a tricky one.  he never actually said this....being a tweet on someone else's account....and never mentioning biden or the new administration.  just a transition.  and technically since there is an election, he could be referring to the transition from his first to his second term.

i can't find a quote right now, but i recall a couple weeks ago he made some reference to a transition, and when asked if that meant he was conceding, he said something like "we'll see" and that it could be the switch to his second term.

**edit**

maybe i'm thinking of pompeo:

Earlier at a State Department briefing, he said: “There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-pompeo-idUSKBN27Q2YH

obviously i don't know quite what trump said:

Trump said: “Get rid of the ballots, you’ll have a very transfer — you’ll have a very peaceful — there won’t be a transfer, frankly. There’ll be a continuation.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/23/trump-peaceful-transition-of-power-420791

Edited by ChouDoufu

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was shocked but not surprised when I saw what was going on last night.

It is of course right that people have a variety of opinions - that's how good decisions are made. However, I just can't get my head around how any sane person could ever have been a Trump supporter.  How people can be so far away from mainstream thinking is beyond me.  Even worse is that there are so many of them in the US!

With hindsight, is what happened in Washington so surprising?  Earlier this year we saw footage of armed US citizens standing outside state buildings protesting against lockdowns - some dressed in military uniforms with what appeared to be assault rifles! Were they arrested and charged?  I don't think so because I don't think what they did is actually against the law in the US - amazing.

If the protests were never intended to be violent, why were so many of the protestors wearing crash helmets and full face coverings?  Why did some have irritant sprays? Some were seen to be scaling walls using ropes - would you usually take ropes along to a protest? It was clearly planned from the start.

Many of the groups that support Trump are known White Supremacists and others are clearly racist.  Trump is very clever when he refers to these groups , he never actually condems them.  He applied the same rational in his video broadcast last night where (after the violence had happened) he asked the protestors to go home then launched into another speech about the election being fraudulent.

Is this the America that Trump wants to make great again?

good questions!  especially about the ropes.  who takes ropes to a protest?  whatever could they be planning?

210106-capitol-noose-ew-441p_e1870ce4f6c

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/live-blog/electoral-college-certification-updates-n1252864/ncrd1253129#blogHeader

12 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

good questions!  especially about the ropes.  who takes ropes to a protest?  whatever could they be planning?

Well, speaking only from what I've seen on TV - have you seen the quality of the people who attended the protests? How do you ever get those people to realise they were manipulated?

On TV just now they were interviewing protestors - one woman in tears said "we're storming the capitol, its a revolution".........................erm I don't think so love, he's done.  Other protestors were taunting reporters saying things like 'Fake news company'. That's one of the hallmarks of the Trump presidency, if you can call it that. Trump's your mate unless you report something he doesn't like - then its fake news.  Same with his followers, they quckly fall out of favour - as Mike Pence is now finding out. 

I hope he's impeached (if that's possible) for inciting riots - I believe that would prevent him from running again in 4 years? The divisions in the US are going to take many years to heal and for some of the hardliners, they never will - heaven forbid Trump is allowed to return at the next election.

• Thanks 1

rats.

‘I can’t stay here’ — Mick Mulvaney resigns from Trump administration, expects others to follow

WASHINGTON — Mick Mulvaney, President Donald Trump’s former chief of staff, told CNBC on Thursday he has resigned as special U.S. envoy to Northern Ireland.

“I called [Secretary of State] Mike Pompeo last night to let him know I was resigning from that. I can’t do it. I can’t stay,” Mick Mulvaney said in an exclusive interview on “Squawk Box.”

“Those who choose to stay, and I have talked with some of them, are choosing to stay because they’re worried the president might put someone worse in,” Mulvaney said. But he said other officials may resign after Wednesday’s riot at the U.S. Capitol.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/mick-mulvaney-resigns-from-trump-administration-expects-others-to-follow.html

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

rats.

‘I can’t stay here’ — Mick Mulvaney resigns from Trump administration, expects others to follow

WASHINGTON — Mick Mulvaney, President Donald Trump’s former chief of staff, told CNBC on Thursday he has resigned as special U.S. envoy to Northern Ireland.

“I called [Secretary of State] Mike Pompeo last night to let him know I was resigning from that. I can’t do it. I can’t stay,” Mick Mulvaney said in an exclusive interview on “Squawk Box.”

“Those who choose to stay, and I have talked with some of them, are choosing to stay because they’re worried the president might put someone worse in,” Mulvaney said. But he said other officials may resign after Wednesday’s riot at the U.S. Capitol.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/07/mick-mulvaney-resigns-from-trump-administration-expects-others-to-follow.html

Too late for these bananarepublicans.

Trump and his team are doing a scorched earth strategy, trying to damage as much as possible to make the government unworkable in coming years. Every despot  has his day of reckoning. Trump and his friends, supporters and family will have theirs. All the looters and  terrorists we see are going to face  financial penalty and criminal charge, that maybe Trump cannot pardon.

• Like 2