Trump invited supporters to "wild" protest, and told them to fight. They did.

webfact

15 minutes ago, Susco said:

Strange because Twitter had said they would extend the 12 hour ban until he removed the post.

So maybe he removed the post in question?

It's also strange is that they chose to ban him on the same day they found out Dems will control the committees that will decide whether to regulate them.

Edited by shdmn

17 hours ago, robblok said:

The freedom of speech in the US is a great good but its sad there is no possibility to punish a president who is inciting riots with proven lies. That he won by a landslide and massive voter fraud.

Why is there no mechanism to punish proven falsehoods. I like freedom of speech but just like with anti vaxers they spread so much proven lies and Trump too. I know it beats a state controlled media. But this isnt perfect either.  

It may be the case that incitement to violence is not protected speech.  I am no lawyer but I have heard this being discussed on TV news.

9 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

It may be the case that incitement to violence is not protected speech.  I am no lawyer but I have heard this being discussed on TV news.

That's right. Not all speech is protected. The classic yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire is not legal. It will be hard to legally hold Mr. trump responsible for the recent domestic terrorist event, but his phone call to Georgia (also speech) to try to illegally tamper with an election would be very easy to prosecute. 

The dark irony of all this is that President Biden has not shown an interest in legal retribution against the shambolic Mr. trump. But the atmosphere in the country has changed overnight.  Yet again, he blew it and the decision is not only on President Biden. 

To his credit, Mr. trump can always try the insanity defense. 

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Hey, no fair!!!  That is like irony or something smart you are doing.

I was afraid it might be to "smart" for trump supporters, so I tried using small words , but unfortunately I could not find pictures to go with it. 

They are probably all confused now wondering " I don't get it he did not say anything about iron" how was it ironee

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's right. Not all speech is protected. The classic yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire is not legal. It will be hard to legally hold Mr. trump responsible for the recent domestic terrorist event, but his phone call to Georgia (also speech) to try to illegally tamper with an election would be very easy to prosecute. 

The dark irony of all this is that President Biden has not shown an interest in legal retribution against the shambolic Mr. trump. But the atmosphere in the country has changed overnight.  Yet again, he blew it and the decision is not only on President Biden. 

To his credit, Mr. trump can always try the insanity defense. 

Don't forget that an action to invoke the 25th amendment has to be taken by the current VP, not Biden.

However there must be a million other incidents where he could be charged with serious crimes even while he's president. Or at least very seriously shamed to the point where he withdraws.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Whether Biden intends the DoJ to prosecute Trump or not he has to distance himself from any such action.  He hopes, and we need, the Democrats to get some votes from the Trumpists in the future.  But now the Biden administration cannot avoid investigating and prosecuting Trump.  That will be even more true when he pardons himself in the next two weeks.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Imagine if they had been a terrorist mob of black or brown people trying to disrupt the peaceful transition of power. 

i can more then imagine, i can quote a governor kate brown

The massive and non-violent protests led by Black Lives Matter activists

have inspired the nation. Let's get to work and make this vision a reality.

now you imagine if she had replaced black with white,

and cheer on trump gang instead,

and imagine if mainstream media had kept the

narrative of mostly peaceful/non violent protest

Edited by scammed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Have you noticed, everything in the Newspapers is, Trump supporters mob, but earlier last year, 2020, when Portland and other cities were being burned to the ground, it was BLM peaceful protests this or Antifa peaceful protests that.  Our Main Stream Media has moved so far left, they might as well open their main offices in Beijing.  

Don't misstate the facts.  These were domestic terrorists.  No denying that.  And the MSM did condem the violence with BLM.  Perhaps the media outlets you read are very far right?  OANN?  Fox News?  InfoWars?

Here's the difference between how the police responded to the BLM protest and these domestic terrorists.  NO comparison.  Disgusting.  Luckily, heads are rolling.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/police-response-black-lives-matter-protest-us-capitol/index.html

• Like 1

In something that looked like a scene out of the movie "Animal House," a small gang of trouble makers (fraternity boys?), one wearing horns, struck fear in the hearts of the nation's elite, some of whom fled to security bunkers.  Even on this forum many appear to be terrified of what might happen next.  Trump on social media once again assured the nation he would leave the White House on January 20th.  He also denounced the rascals who took over the Capitol.  He stopped short of putting them on "double secret probation" (see the movie).

Time to come out guys, everything is fine.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

In something that looked like a scene out of the movie "Animal House," a small gang of trouble makers (fraternity boys?), one wearing horns, struck fear in the hearts of the nation's elite, some of whom fled to security bunkers.  Even on this forum many appear to be terrified of what might happen next.  Trump on social media once again assured the nation he would leave the White House on January 20th.  He also denounced the rascals who took over the Capitol.  He stopped short of putting them on "double secret probation" (see the movie).

Time to come out guys, everything is fine.

And they got past the police by politely requesting them to stand aside?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You seem to be on your own little island, defending Trump on this one.  Even Fox News is outraged.

[Fox Nation host Tomi Lahren issued a scathing condemnation of Wednesday's violence on Capitol Hill, taking direct aim at the "anarchist animals" who left her "appalled, disgusted" and "sick to my stomach."]

["I never thought I’d see the day when some Trump supporters – many who I thought were my fellow patriots – would act like the very thugs and anarchists we’ve spent much of the year condemning," Lahren said on her Fox Nation show "Final Thoughts."]

https://www.foxnews.com/media/capitol-riot-violence-tomi-lahren-reaction

I watched a few shows on Fox yesterday.  Many of them were saying the most violent terrorists yesterday were from Antifa.  Which isn't true.  Even Gaetz, that disgusting politician, said the same thing on the house floor.  Insane people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOK said:

In something that looked like a scene out of the movie "Animal House," a small gang of trouble makers (fraternity boys?)

Yep. Exactly what I thought - NOT. Just a bunch of wacky Deltas having a bit of fun.

You do realize that Bluto went on to become Senator Blutarksky, right?

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dunroaming said:

You would hope so! But with events unfolding almost hourly there will be so much just swept under the carpet.

For a crime of this magnitude, I think those at the top will consider it essential that justice is seen to be done.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

You do realize that Bluto went on to become Senator Blutarksky, right?

Yeah, I think about that whenever I hear Bret Kavanaugh's name.  I wonder if he still whips his doink out for a laugh.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1