Any pick-up recommendation?

heiri007

On 12/31/2021 at 9:04 AM, Ralf001 said:

CLW is talking about a 2.2 Ranger, that is current model not the next gen.

So once again I ask, what components are shared between it and the Amorok.

Don't nail me on this, I just did some casual reading. 

Current and new Ford Ranger have a chassis with internal naming T6. It's designed to fit interior parts from Volkswagen, making the Amarok. I think the AT 10 speed gear will also be used in the next generation Amarok. 

Any more details, please Google and read by yourself. 

47 minutes ago, CLW said:

Don't nail me on this, I just did some casual reading. 

Current and new Ford Ranger have a chassis with internal naming T6. It's designed to fit interior parts from Volkswagen, making the Amarok. I think the AT 10 speed gear will also be used in the next generation Amarok. 

Any more details, please Google and read by yourself. 

Your previous post you called out the 2.2 Ranger which is current model, the 2.2 will not make it into the next gen Ranger (coming end 1st quarter this year).

Current T6 platform that is available on the marketplace today is code name P375 and predates the Ford/VW collaboration so has zero VW content.

Next Gen Ranger code named P703 carries over the same basic T6 chassis but with significant changes to suspension pickup points, it will share very few components with VW (as sold as a Ranger).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There is a VERY good reason why Toyota is recognized as a class leader world wide.

That being said, Izusu (Mazda) are equally good.

Parts cheap, servicing cheap, why would you look anywhere else ?

Don't like the seats ? Stereo ? Want 360 camera ?

All available in the aftermarket, and electronics much better - both design wise and application wise - than the factory stuff.

18 hours ago, seedy said:

There is a VERY good reason why Toyota is recognized as a class leader world wide.

All available in the aftermarket, and electronics much better - both design wise and application wise - than the factory stuff.

I think the Ford F-150 continues to be the best selling pickup worldwide 

20 hours ago, seedy said:

And both brands slammed by recent tests and reviews from automobile journalists.

Never seen a Toyota or Isuzu in the winner rankings. 

But anyone to it's own liking. 

If you like a car with 20 year old technology and interior, go buy it.

17 minutes ago, CLW said:

And both brands slammed by recent tests and reviews from automobile journalists.

Never seen a Toyota or Isuzu in the winner rankings. 

But anyone to it's own liking. 

If you like a car with 20 year old technology and interior, go buy it.

I don't like journalists......????

I prefer real world tried and tested stuff, not a bloke with a cup of Starbucks coffee in his hand looking forward to his pay day....????

1 hour ago, transam said:

I don't like journalists......????

I prefer real world tried and tested stuff, not a bloke with a cup of Starbucks coffee in his hand looking forward to his pay day....????

Exactly, and virtually every pickup offered here is tried and tested and will likely perform flawlessly. You can't even determine what the best value is, without knowing what is important to the buyer. 

For example, most everyone knows a "sport" package is typically mostly just an appearance package, yet some buy it and some don't.

When someone buys the "sport" package, it does not mean they think they are getting a "sport" truck, it just means that they  like the way it looks, and they are willing to pay the upcharge. Some that doe not like the look, or does not care about the look is not willing to pay the extra. To one it's a good value, to the other it is not. 

I say buy something you like the look and feel of. 

• Like 1

Look in Africa, the Middle East, most of Asia, especially away from urban centers.

See a lot of Fords ?

NO - what you see are Toyotas. Why ?

And these 'journalists' - where are they ? In the west, where pickups are an urban vehicle.

When the going gets tough, the tough get Toyotas. Not some fashion accessory.

• Thanks 1

My step daughter and her husband had an Isuzu D-Max diesel that has now passed to my stepson. I've been quite surprised at its handling and comfort. I've driven it a bit and it seems like a nice vehicle. I have ridden as a front seat passenger on trips from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and back and it was comfortable as well. However I've not ridden in the back seat so I can't comment on that. It's never really used for hauling except for luggage and the occasional motorcycle.

39 minutes ago, seedy said:

Look in Africa, the Middle East, most of Asia, especially away from urban centers.

See a lot of Fords ?

NO - what you see are Toyotas. Why ?

And these 'journalists' - where are they ? In the west, where pickups are an urban vehicle.

When the going gets tough, the tough get Toyotas. Not some fashion accessory.

Actually Ford is the second biggest seller in Africa right behind (wait for it) VW. 

But yeah, if you're watching a TV show or movie about Africa you will likely see all Toyotas. 

To be clear, I currently own my forth Toyota, but the idea that they build significantly better or more technologically advance products that any other major manufacturer is silly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually Ford is the second biggest seller in Africa right behind (wait for it) VW. 

But yeah, if you're watching a TV show or movie about Africa you will likely see all Toyotas. 

To be clear, I currently own my forth Toyota, but the idea that they build significantly better or more technologically advance products that any other major manufacturer is silly. 

You missed out reliability...????

40 minutes ago, transam said:

You missed out reliability...????

In the last thirty years I have had two Fords, four Isuzus and four Toyotas and had not had an issue with any of them. How have I missed out on reliability? 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In the last thirty years I have had two Fords, four Isuzus and four Toyotas and had not had an issue with any of them. How have I missed out on reliability? 

Reliability statistics do not revolve around one blokes rides...????

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You mean the "statistics" the journalists put together?

No, reading these pages for 15 years gives me a pretty good idea about rides in LOS....

PS. You have had 10 rides in LOS and never had an issue, hmmmmm.

Were they two week hire cars....????