Getting an international driver's licence in Thailand

JTXR

I have a valid (5 year) Thai driver's license and a US driver's license that will expire before I can go back to the U.S. 

Can I get an international driver's license (1 year) here in Thailand?  If so, where and how?  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can’t you apply for a renewal of your US driving licence online ? (we can in the UK).

Not this time, because I will have turned 70 and in my state they will want to do an eye and physical exam.  I'll try to get the international DL at DLT once this Covid outbreak ends.  Thanks.

UK IDP's are no longer available online. For years I used to get mine sent to me in Thailand. That loophole was closed a 2 years ago. 

All applications now have to be in person at the P. O..

I am in the UK at the moment and got a new one last week. Cost 5.50GBP

On 1/14/2021 at 6:59 AM, JTXR said:

Not this time, because I will have turned 70 and in my state they will want to do an eye and physical exam.  I'll try to get the international DL at DLT once this Covid outbreak ends.  Thanks.

Check at the office near you now.. they are not all closed.  I just renewed my Thai license a few days ago.. Kalasin..

Don't get one of the fake ones advertise frequently on Facebook or other places. If you live in Thailand you just get it from the land department on production of your Thai licence. Just remember that this international driving licences carried in every country except the one you live. There may be people who try and deceive you with their own fake licenses.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:03 AM, Jeffr2 said:

As asked above, why do you need it?  The only place I've ever needed it was Italy, otherwise, after renting cars is some 50 countries around the world, never needed it.  The Thai DL worked just fine.

Also needed in Japan, they would not accept either my UK license or my Thai one.

Like you, everywhere else my Thai license has worked fine.

• Like 2

Well in th UK my wifes Thai driving licence would have worked fine.  The trouble was I couldnt find an insurance company that would insure her! Turning her loose on the roads with a provisional UK driving license showed me that they were absolutely right.

• Haha 2

On 1/14/2021 at 6:41 AM, JTXR said:

I have a valid (5 year) Thai driver's license and a US driver's license that will expire before I can go back to the U.S. 

Can I get an international driver's license (1 year) here in Thailand?  If so, where and how?  Thanks.

Buy online, one company offers 10 year. Got mine last year, before license expired. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, MrBanks said:

Also needed in Japan, they would not accept either my UK license or my Thai one.

Like you, everywhere else my Thai license has worked fine.

Interesting.  That's one country I didn't rent a car.  It's sooooo dang expensive there, we limited our holiday to only 10 days or so.  But that fast train was fun!!!!

Big problem there is reading the signs.  Wow!!  Impossible to read!!! LOL

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 6:41 AM, JTXR said:

Can I get an international driver's license (1 year) here in Thailand?

Answer is No. As there is no such thing.

As been stated there is an International Driving Permit (translation document) a grey booklet with pages in various languages. 

I belive an IDP has to be issued in the country where the license was issued.

If the OP has a "long stay" visa for Thailand they he can get a regular Thai license at DLT. Either by showing a current driving licence from another country or by doing the driving test like all others (including farangs).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Luckily he's in Thailand.

Yes so he simply goes to DLT. However when I tried in BKK they needed a work permit or a yellow house book.  A "Cert. of Residence" from Immigration might work depending on where he is. 

But as has alos been stated the Thai licence will work in most places as it has the name in English and also look flash enough. 

• Like 1