Question on Coe and insurance for covid coverage

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

To correct @gearbox understanding.

You need to check that the cover starts from the day of entry into Thailand.

Many policies have a 14 day period from acceptance before the policy becomes effective.

(An incubation period, to protect from fraudulent claims).

If your policy is dated to start from the date of entry and includes the 14 day period before it becomes effective, then if tested positive in quarantine, your not covered for medical treatment.

This in essence is what's been reported.

That is not correct, the issue I've raised has nothing to do with a waiting period.

When you test positive for Covid you are either symptomatic (fever,etc,etc) or asymptomatic. If asymptomatic you may appear completely healthy but you are still positive. In the vast majority of countries if you are asymptomatic you are just told to quarantine at home not to infect the others, that's it. In Thailand's ASQ however once you are tested positive you are jettisoned immediately to a private hospital, regardless whether you have any symptoms. Once in the hospital although you may be healthy and don't need any treatment the bills start piling up.

So some policies apparently don't cover the asymptomatic cases as apparently the person technically is not sick, only positive,  but the hospitals still insist to get paid.

Sounds illogical,  but it is what it is.

I didn't know about these small details when I bought my insurance,  found some info about this by accident in the FB ASQ group. For my luck it turned out my policy covers this, and many policies do cover it. But there were reports from people who tested positive and were asymptomatic,  they had to pay themselves the hospital "hotel" which is not cheap by any standards.

44 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I didn't know about these small details when I bought my insurance,  found some info about this by accident in the FB ASQ group. For my luck it turned out my policy covers this, and many policies do cover it. But there were reports from people who tested positive and were asymptomatic,  they had to pay themselves the hospital "hotel" which is not cheap by any standards.

If you test positive in an ASQ hotel, whether asymptomatic or otherwise you will be transported to the nearest hospital for treatment.

Now your Covid Insurance policy comes into play, your either covered, or your your still in the 14 day qualifying period and not covered - simples!

20 hours ago, bluebanana said:

u mentioned etieher a year or 60 days ? 

is difference in price> ?

For the 90 days which also has normal health insurance included as full COVID cover I think , the price is 11200bht or so. Think the general price just goes up similar depending on time required . Eg 180 days would be roughly twice cost . 
I usually have health insurance on and off in Thailand as I’m never sick or do anything that I am liable to be injured etc but for the next year I will have some form of COVID cover as I know the way Thai hospitals can be and don’t fancy paying for a 14 day quarantine in hospital when I have maybe tested positive with no symptoms. Once in the country I will look to see what options I can find for rest of the year COVID cover .

2 hours ago, bluebanana said:

@howerde would u be able to tell me if ( knock wood ) if covid treatment is needed , do we need to pay anyhting out from our pocket ?

or is it directly the insurance co will handle it : ? /  

You do not have to pay anything (excess), at least when i bought my policy in November

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

2 hours ago, bluebanana said:

@howerde would u be able to tell me if ( knock wood ) if covid treatment is needed , do we need to pay anyhting out from our pocket ?

or is it directly the insurance co will handle it : ? /  

If you click on the link @howerde provided, your questions would be answered.

But just to save your fingers the work.

covidmain_EN.thumb.jpg.50b4a8d253b5e7fb7fe7625d3725e00d.jpg

Archived