Lost my retirement visa today ... anyone else?

I got a retirement visa in 2015 ... really didn’t want it ... went to get a marriage visa, but was told to "get retirement visa, easier (for them, as it turns out)".

At any rate, got a retirement visa, despite the fact that I’m not retired and wasn’t planning to spend more than a few weeks a year in Thailand until I actually retire (5 years out now).  Only one time have I spent more than 45 days in the kingdom, and never more than 90 days.  However, since my visa renewal date is in January, I’ve been able to renew on annual holiday trips.  No worries.  I managed to get back in late 2019 to renew.

with covid, can’t get back to Thailand .... my visa expired today.  I called the Thai embassy in the US ... no help.  Can only do new visas.  Back to square one.

Anyone else in this situation?  I’m guessing I’m not alone.

Will be interesting to see how it goes when we can actually get back into Thailand.  Not looking forward to the paperwork and fees.

5 minutes ago, cbmgolfer said:

Anyone else in this situation?  I’m guessing I’m not alone.

Will be interesting to see how it goes when we can actually get back into Thailand.  Not looking forward to the paperwork and fees.

If you have the money sitting in a Bank account, just make sure it does not go 'inactive'..... 

No big deal when you can come back... come in Visa Exempt, convert to a Non-Imm-O entry, etc etc. 

You are one of many... I have a few pals stuck outside. 

As pointed out above, there is little reason for you the have extension based on retirement or marriage.

You could have just been coming on visa exempt (with extension) or tourist visa.

BTW if you want a non o, you can just enter visa exempt an obtain a non o at imm. Presumably your Thai bank a/c is in place so simple process to obtain your 12 month extension

You are married so could easily obtain a Non-Immigrant type O, Single Entry (90 days)  based on Marriage.

Or a Tourist Visa... 

Apply online www.thaievisa.go.th

Or simply a Visa Exempt (if you are only staying 1 month or less, otherwise - it may be hassle you don’t want in the middle of your stay if you want to extend that).

You can apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the embassy in Washington DC if you live in within their are of responsibility or one the disiganted official consulate for you are living that are in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles.

Only $700 in the bank and proof you are married to a Thai is needed to apply.

Start on this page for info. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just get a tourist visa next time, 60 days + extend 30 days if you need it

It could be that he got the extension back when some immigration officers at airports were incorrectly denying entry with many tourist visa and visa exempt entries.

Another option other than a extension might be a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. As far as I know the embassy and official consulates are still issuing them.

1 hour ago, cbmgolfer said:

Only one time have I spent more than 45 days in the kingdom, and never more than 90 days

As others have said a regular 90 day visa based on marriage is easy & what I use since we left Thailand

Cost only $80 at any US Thai Consulate & is easy to get. In the rare chance you need more you can also extend it within Thailand if need be

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/

seems like a lot of trouble and unnecessary paperwork when you can enter with a visa waiver and get 45 days.

if an extension of the visa waiver is possible, that's still a much easier process compared to renewing a permission of stay.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or simply a Visa Exempt (if you are only staying 1 month or less, otherwise - it may be hassle you don’t want in the middle of your stay if you want to extend that).

Applying for a 30-day extension to your 45-day permission to stay VisaExempt entry is no hassle at all.  You only need to ensure that the place where you are staying has issued a TM-30 of you staying there (when staying in a Hotel or guesthouse they do that for you - reason they ask for your passport to do the on-line TM-30 notification).  Like any extension it costs 1.900 THB and is the 'easiest money ever' for Imm offices as there are no other requirements to be fulfilled for such 30-day extension of your VisaExempt entry.

Thanks for all the replies ... to clarify, there was a time when I was entering Thailand 2-4 times per month for short stays.  They started hassling farangs that entered Thailand a lot.  I got questioned a few times.  The retirement visa made things easier and the money in the bank requirement was no big issue.  

I was also ... at the time ... silly enough to think that being married to a Thai would gain you some deference with the thai government.  The  long term visa seemed like a good idea.

going forward, will likely just do tourist visa until I actually retire.  Then I will need a longer term option and will evaluate what is the best option at that point.

3 hours ago, cbmgolfer said:

Thanks for all the replies ... to clarify, there was a time when I was entering Thailand 2-4 times per month for short stays.  They started hassling farangs that entered Thailand a lot.  I got questioned a few times.  The retirement visa made things easier and the money in the bank requirement was no big issue.  

I was also ... at the time ... silly enough to think that being married to a Thai would gain you some deference with the thai government.  The  long term visa seemed like a good idea.

going forward, will likely just do tourist visa until I actually retire.  Then I will need a longer term option and will evaluate what is the best option at that point.

An important point that can easily trip you up. You didn’t have a visa to loose. You had an extension of stay to loose.

in general (there are exceptions) embassies and consulates can only issue visas, immigration in Thailand issues extension of stay the exceptions (visa issued by immigration) are not rare but have conditions that are different to the regular extension of stay.

The importance of using the correct term ( visa, or extension of stay ) is that the rules are different, so advice is different.

Had a "retirement extension" for years. Left last March to officially retire from 35 year career in USA and make final commute back to Thailand just 3 weeks later. Today, 10.5 months on and still in The States. I have a 9 year GF (considered wife by all). We have a house in Kanchanaburi and an apartment in BKK. We have dogs and cats, a motorbike and SUV. My retirement visa extension expired 3 weeks ago due to total incompetence of Thai Embassy Washington DC back in Nov-Dec. They seem to have gotten it together now, tho still SLOW. Got COE 2 days ago on a Saturday! Getting RT-PCR test today and fit to fly doc on Tues. Flt departs Atlanta Wed night. Out of ASQ on 13 Feb, just 3 weeks shy of leaving last year and scheduled to return 3 weeks later. Shortly afterwards will start the process of obtaining Non-O and retirement extension again. NO need purchasing re-entry stamp any longer. NEVER leaving again once I (hopefully) arrive this coming Friday! I'm entering on 45 day visa exemption. 

Be patient, accurate and leave plenty of time to deal with "Thai Time". Leave a bare minimum of 12 business days from when sending in flight and ASQ booking for COE to flight departure date. Mine came after 8 business days, 1 holiday (MLK) and  non-business day. COE came on Sat @ 1533. Remember you will still need 2-3 days to secure a negative RT-PCR test result and fit to fly doc within 72 hours of departure. Fit to fly can be done online, same day with a virtual doctor visit. RT-PCR is more challenging. Fortunately there's a lab 20 minutes from me here in ATL that guarantees next day and even same day...for a price, of course.

Good luck and don't give up. Back in Nov-Dec when after 3 weeks without a reply from DC embassy and realizing my extension was going to expire...thought I was never getting home and about to throw in the towel and wait for vaccine. A month later and on the doorstep! Should be back in BKK this Fri...the city which has been my home for the past 25 years. I cannot wait. 

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An important point that can easily trip you up. You didn’t have a visa to loose. You had an extension of stay to loose.

in general (there are exceptions) embassies and consulates can only issue visas, immigration in Thailand issues extension of stay the exceptions (visa issued by immigration) are not rare but have conditions that are different to the regular extension of stay.

The importance of using the correct term ( visa, or extension of stay ) is that the rules are different, so advice is different.

I totally agree in the importance of the correct term. 

Could you please explain how a visa becomes loose. 

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Semantics. When someone uses the term "retirement visa"... most everyone here knows what is meant and implied. The term is well and widely used and understood. The term pedantic seems correct just about now. ????

12 hours ago, cbmgolfer said:

Not difficult, a non-immigrant O-visa and same procedure for extension of stay, as you have done in the past years. Fees are 1,900 baht for extension of stay and 3,800 baht for multiple re-entry. You'll need to pay a few hundred bath to your Thai bank for letter and 3 months authorized statement of you deposit account.

And yes, also in my opinion "retirement extension" is more easy than "marriage extension"...????

31 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Semantics. When someone uses the term "retirement visa"... most everyone here knows what is meant and implied. The term is well and widely used and understood. The term pedantic seems correct just about now. ????

Totally wrong and b*s*

There are those with a visa who need advice. There are those given a Non-O/Non-OA visa based on retirement commonly known as a retirement visa while not semantically correct the difference is not important.

There are those with an extension of stay who need advice.There are those given an an extension of stay  based on retirement, it is not a visa.

Several questions are identical the answers are often different.

I don’t know anyone who’s Cristal ball is working.

Get over yourself and learn why using the correct terms makes sense and the names are not just a semantic difference.

27 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Sorry to disagree.

The term 'retirement Visa' is well and wrongly used and misunderstood.

When a member asks a question about a 'retirement Visa' in order to give the correct advise, quite often there follows a number of posts to establish if the poster has a Non O Visa, a Non O ME Visa, a Non Imm O-A Visa, all issued based on retirement, or in fact neither of the above and he actually has an extension of permission of stay based on retirement.

A foreigner once asked me if he could re-enter the Country as he had an emergency situation and was flying home the following day, hoping to return the following week.

When I enquired if he had a Visa or an extension, he replied a 'retirement Visa', (?) then later a Non Imm O-A Visa (which is multi-entry).

I advised 'no problem'.

A few weeks later we bumped heads again and he was non to pleased because on re-entry he received a 30 day entry stamp. Turns out he had a 1 year extension of stay (a permit) which requires a re-entry permit in order to re-enter and keep any remaining permission of stay valid.

His Non O-A Visa had expired 3 years previously.

Semantics, really! Tell that to the other guy.

The entire system has overcomplicated itself.

This again is the problem with "biting the hand that feeds"  Too many schemes and scams.

To the OP, as several have mentioned....Go to an embassy in the USA.  Bring a few bucks, put on a suit, bring front and second page of house book, your passport and your Thai marriage license. 

Done

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Oh dear. There is always one trying to confuse things.

This forum would be much better off without people like you.

59 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are those given a Non-O/Non-OA visa based on retirement commonly known as a retirement visa while not semantically correct the difference is not important.

I totally agree with your sentiments on the correct use of 'terminology', however the difference is extremely important.

A Non O Visa is valid for 90 days, single 90 day entry, 'used' as soon as you enter.

A Non O ME Visa is valid for 12 months, each entry grants 90 days, 'used' on the Visa expiry date.

A Non Imm O-A Visa is valid for 12 months, each entry grants 1 year, 'used' on the Visa expiry date.

All of the above can be granted for the purpose of retirement.

The above individual differences of these Visa types, further illustrates the importance of using the correct term, rather than the generic term of 'Retirement Visa'.

(Then again maybe it's a 1 year extension of your permission of stay' a permit, not a Visa).

Who knows!

55 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

A Non O Visa is valid for 90 days, single 90 day entry, 'used' as soon as you enter.

A Non O ME Visa is valid for 12 months, each entry grants 90 days, 'used' on the Visa expiry date.

A Non Imm O-A Visa is valid for 12 months, each entry grants 1 year, 'used' on the Visa expiry date.

So the first two "Non"s aren't short for "Non-Imm"? (Apparently that's what "Non" is in "Non Ed visa".)

8 minutes ago, onebir said:

So the first two "Non"s aren't short for "Non-Imm"? (Apparently that's what "Non" is in "Non Ed visa".)

Apart from Tourist Visas, Thailand only offer Non Immigrant type Visas.

Slight omission on the first two, but if you know of any other type of Non O's that aren't Non Immigrant type Visas, I'd be pleased to hear.

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Apart from Tourist Visas, Thailand only offer Non Immigrant type Visas.

Slight omission on the first two, but if you know of any other type of Non O's that aren't Non Immigrant type Visas, I'd be pleased to hear.

Ok just clarifying! In short "Non" in a visa title can always be read "Non Immigrant" (or "Non Imm")?

Archived