Upper Thailand hit by ‘unsafe’ PM2.5 haze, Bangkok next

webfact

15 hours ago, Yom said:

Very convenient.

over the past 24hrs/48hrs/one month/a year?

Some real numbers - today 8:00.

image.png.b238ded512e9f6962e24a4046acdc3f9.png

This comes from:   Chiang Rai Forum -Phrae PM2.4

These numbers are confusing : I bought a Xiaomi PM 2.5 detector and it indicates green (=safe) up to 50,  orange (= moderate) between 50 and 75 and red (=unhealthy) above 75

Can't believe they're saying 66 is high Today in the NE of CM Province it's 158, and despite the directive to ALL provinces to ban ALL outdoor burning, today whilst cycling there was plenty of agri burning going on and no effort to hide it. It was there for all to see in the paddocks alongside the highway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, fvw53 said:

These numbers are confusing

Yes, indeed.

Xiaomi shows only the PM2.5 numbers, as far as I know.

It comes from China, they have other limits.

In the US 75 ug/m3 might be 'very unhealthy', I think.

Reliable/helpful:  https://www.airnow.gov/aqi/aqi-calculator/

https://www.iqair.com/  shows PM2.5 numbers AND the AQI.

https://aqicn.org/here   shows only the AQI.

The most of the Xiaom-Air Purifiers have a PM2.5-meter integrated. 

Very interesting to compare...

• Like 1

Just coming strong days here in North Thailand too. No see future for expats or Tourists who wants to live in this hell of pollution. About  the farmers,  this is their land.. burn until the end because of I no see any action for resolve this problem.5B3F2B90-8060-4BD8-91B7-636F76DB1CC9.thumb.jpeg.072bf4da0dab5fac79ffe243c3131707.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Happens every year across most of Asia.  You just learn to live with it!

And kill your children doing so

gteat reply 

no one has to learn to live with it

its their choice 

simply move

why would someone move or want to live in this hellhole?

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2021 at 12:02 AM, Ron jeremy said:

And kill your children doing so

gteat reply 

no one has to learn to live with it

its their choice 

simply move

why would someone move or want to live in this hellhole?

It's no worse than countless cities across Asia - China, India and many others are far worse.  Millions of people live in Bangkok and similarly polluted cities, and they live with it for a few months of the year.  Other parts of Thailand, like Chiang Mai are worse.  Your simplistic view that people can "simply move" is unrealistic (which I think you know, as you enjoy being provocative!).  

33 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's no worse than countless cities across Asia - China, India and many others are far worse.  Millions of people live in Bangkok and similarly polluted cities, and they live with it for a few months of the year.  Other parts of Thailand, like Chiang Mai are worse.  Your simplistic view that people can "simply move" is unrealistic (which I think you know, as you enjoy being provocative!).  

The old cliche has never been more true!

never sell up back home!

always have a backup plan!

seems you have neither!

eh brewman?

just saying.

bad decisions?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

The old cliche has never been more true!

never sell up back home!

always have a backup plan!

seems you have neither!

eh brewman?

just saying.

bad decisions?

True to a certain degree.  But life here has a habit of making plans go awry.  I never expected to get married and start a family aged 55, and I don't consider that I made a "bad decision".  I have a plan for retirement, but that is still a few years away.  

Where is the idyllic paradise that you live and presumably recommend?

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

True to a certain degree.  But life here has a habit of making plans go awry.  I never expected to get married and start a family aged 55, and I don't consider that I made a "bad decision".  I have a plan for retirement, but that is still a few years away.  

Certainly not Thailand 

I didn’t make the mistake of an unplanned child with a bargirl.

thank god like so many did!

it turned out to be a good decision!

im not trapped, always had plan b

Unlike many others!

9 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Certainly not Thailand 

I didn’t make the mistake of an unplanned child with a bargirl.

thank god like so many did!

it turned out to be a good decision!

im not trapped, always had plan b

Unlike many others!

If not Thailand, why the fascination with posting on a Thailand Forum?  Having a child was the best thing that ever happened to me and, although I can understand if you've never actually been to Thailand, the whole "bargirl" insult is rather desperate (and please don't PM me again!).

19 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You can start by looking at countries / cities that have breathable air. There’s a lot of them, including different areas of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dcnx said:

You can start by looking at countries / cities that have breathable air. There’s a lot of them, including different areas of Thailand.

I've done that.  But not all have international schools nearby, or well-paying jobs that I am qualified to do!  In any case, I'm not convinced that any part of Thailand has "breathable air" all year round.  Having lived in Bangkok for over 15 years, most of the year here is OK (not great but not hazardous).  It's only really Nov-Feb when it gets really bad and with air-purifiers in every room and N95 masks we put up with it.  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've done that.  But not all have international schools nearby, or well-paying jobs that I am qualified to do!  In any case, I'm not convinced that any part of Thailand has "breathable air" all year round.  Having lived in Bangkok for over 15 years, most of the year here is OK (not great but not hazardous).  It's only really Nov-Feb when it gets really bad and with air-purifiers in every room and N95 masks we put up with it.  

Who are u trying to BS brew?

november - February?

no know this is not true, think of your child, not yourself, you’re worried about a well paid job over the health of your child?

and what kind of a life is it locked in your room with fans and masks on?

not many on your side here! 
please don’t send me a PM

55 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Who are u trying to BS brew?

november - February?

no know this is not true, think of your child, not yourself, you’re worried about a well paid job over the health of your child?

and what kind of a life is it locked in your room with fans and masks on?

not many on your side here! 
please don’t send me a PM

Funny that I don't see a mass exodus from Bangkok; millions of people, Thai and foreign, just get on with life.  It ain't perfect here, but where is?  You've yet to let on about the paradise where you live! ????

Congratulations farmers you put Thailand into the the top 10 most polluted major cities in the world give yourselves a round of applause. The Govt should be so proud of the achievement, especially Gen. Prayut as he encouraged farmers to switch to sugar cane farming a few years ago. Give it a few more weeks and I'm sure you will be on the podium same as last year... https://www.iqair.com/th-en/world-air-quality-ranking

image.png.0088daba5b161a4ea6a08635d015879a.png

In Thailand many more people die from bad air quality, than from Covid. And the government just keeps doing nothing about it? What happened to the recently announced crack down on black smoke belching diesel trucks and busses?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Chiang Mai AQI at 175

It's bad, Forza. But perhaps not only the farmers?

May I suggest

The planned plants are not interesting today, only in 2025.

But there is Hongsa, Mae Moh and Mae Sot already.

Permanently (?) polluting the air.

8 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Worst AQI Areas in Thailand, not good...

image.png.510abd580295576c4d16734c1ed39b9c.png

And yet people continue to live here (me included).  Hasn't toxic air/smog been a fact of life throughout the world's cities since the Industrial Revolution?  Perhaps it's only the advent of the internet and social media that has made it a modern day urban panic?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And yet people continue to live here (me included).  Hasn't toxic air/smog been a fact of life throughout the world's cities since the Industrial Revolution?  Perhaps it's only the advent of the internet and social media that has made it a modern day urban panic?

That and cheap Chinese monitors?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps it's only the advent of the internet and social media that has made it a modern day urban panic?

I don't think so.

The majority of the audience is neither interested nor panicking.

They just don't pay attention.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hasn't toxic air/smog been a fact of life throughout the world's cities since the Industrial Revolution?

Oh yes.

And there has been done a lot. Thanks to Wikipedia I will copy some photos image.png.db121cf59acf8815ec427f319136bb46.png  1966  NYC Smog

image.png.27a194bc8f15f3941a7f7564e4b16a18.png

The 1966 New York smog served as a historical precedent for air pollution in China in the 2010s (pictured in Beijing in early 2013).

image.png.8334a42f651804e5d91aa1eb282e96fb.png Smog in May 1973.

By 1972 New York City had cut levels of sulfur dioxide and particulates by half from their peak.

See also[edit]

It was pretty nice here until today when someone set the mountainside on fire. Worked outside all day and was very pleasant.  Still don't understand why someone sets these fires every year on the mountains which is govt property.  Nothing is grown up there and no fire hazard to any property or farmland from accumulated brush. No one has burned fields local yet to set off a fire on the mountains.  Must be magic spontaneous combustion. 

IMG_0434.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1