Thailand Elite members warned about overstaying

snoop1130

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Apart from how long 800k has to stay in the bank for Non-Imm O retirement, what other requirements have changed?

them making up new requirements as they go along, the TE could be a more secure way to a stay without the silly headaches

not dealing directly with any IO is worth its gold alone ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Donaldo said:

What makes people endure the unjust and racist abuse from the Thai authorities ? Just to be allowed to spent their money in the country. There are many more countries in the world who are much more welcoming to paying guests and who treat those the same as everybody else. The fact that an overstay of some "ignorant" traveller can make it to the headlines with the collective police force lined up for a photograph of the captured "criminal" says enough about the frame of mind of the authorities.

That's the unelected "PM" and his soldiers. Much as I have no time for Thaksin I don't ever recall any unjust or racial abuse, unless of course, you call the 90 day reporting unjust which I think though I'm not sure it was started by Thaksin.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You easily could when I first came to stay here in 2005. A visa run to the border every 90 days and sorted. A nice

pleasant day out.

Are you trolling? All day all I have seen from you are negative emoticans.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

them making up new requirements as they go along, the TE could be a more secure way to a stay without the silly headaches

not dealing directly with any IO is worth its gold alone ????

Never! The 800k is mine and I can withdraw it any time I like. With TE it's bought, so, you'll never see it again, but, I'm sure you know that already.

Don't know what IO office you use, but, I've always had a pleasant experience with the Phuket IO.

I think Phuket was the first to have a drive-thru for 90-day reports (only passport needed) and TM28 & 30. It was so successful it has now been copied at a few other offices.

They also got rid of the military style uniforms (except the senior I/Os) and replaced them with Hawaiian style shirts and blouses which was deemed more welcoming.

There is a dedicated office set aside for extending Non-Imm O visas so us oldies don't need to queue with the other 95% of people who are there for other reasons.

Yup. We got lucky in Phuket.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

A Thailand Elite visa can only get a 2 year temporary drivers license when applying for a license renewal not a 5 year. All the others get 5 year doesn't make someone feel very "Elite"

Lol, I got a new 5 year license, nearly 6 years in fact as I did it shortly after my birthday for the second time on the TE visa just a few months ago.

So you're quite wrong there.

5 hours ago, nomadinuk said:

Im aware you get a one year stamp. But dont you also have to attend immigration every 90 days? What would happen if you failed to attend for the 90 day? 

Same as anyone else who stays in Thailand on a visa of any kind - it's a 2000 Baht fine when you do go for a 90 day report.

I've forgot to do one of these before so I skipped it until the next one was due, 200 Baht fine.

Another time I jwent a bit late, perhaps 3 or 4 weeks after the date, so outside the officially allowed late period of 7 days and they let me off without a fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pravda said:

That's the thing. During normal times in Thailand I used to travel 4-5 times a year. This is why I wouldn't even put 400k a month for my marriage visa. Easier to take a plane to Laos, KL, even Singapore and have a nice shopping trip than deal with all the stupid trips to immigration and address reporting requirements even when you fart. 

This way I take a plane and you get a nice clean reset every 90 days. 

How can you talk about marriage visa when your wife is Chinese how you claim in another thread?

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

yes but not everyone is living in Phuket, and you can't really use the 800K for expenses as it needs to stay in a bank account as long as you stay in Thailand, so basically that 800K is cockheld ????

That's true, but, it's still better than giving it to someone else. You earn interest for a start (admittedly, not much). Also, the balance can go down to 400k for seven months of the year, so, there is 400k for emergencies, as long as the emergency is within those seven months.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

That's true, but, it's still better than giving it to someone else. You earn interest for a start (admittedly, not much). Also, the balance can go down to 400k for seven months of the year, so, there is 400k for emergencies, as long as the emergency is within those seven months.

I think at the end it comes down to convenience, if you have the cash and want to save headache, the TE is not a bad option

I used to think otherwise, and would go to the cheapest route like everyone else, but now? who needs new headache on the top of the COVID headache?

I am myself considering it, the 90 day visa run are costly, and I don't want to stay 12 months without going out, so the TE could have the convenience of it all, and I will pay for it.

and I really don't want to deal with the silly paperwork, even when I have everything right. Time is too precious.

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Not me either as I am on a marriage extension that needs renewing in October.

However, what a way to treat people who pay 500,000 to 2 million baht.

Yes like garbage, just like the rest of us. I'll stick to my 1 year non-o with no more than what's required financially thank you very much!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If you are working, own a business, are a student, are studying Buddhism, studying the Thai language, to name but a few.

Plenty of ways to stay legally without the Elite Visa.

Yes, but equally there are plenty of people who don't fit into those boxes but also want to be legal.  

Unfortunately owning a business means it has to be one based here and has to have 4 Thai staff etc etc etc 

Not everyone wants to waste their time studying something just to get a visa. 

Not sure why you think spending 500,000 THB for 5 years is a waste of money, the peace of mind alone is worth it, and maybe some of the people who start on that visa type will by the time their 5 years are up be in a position to either retire, have married a Thai or maybe even started a Thailand based business.

Or in the case of at least one person I know they are hoping that 5 more years will be enough for Thailand to wake up and start offering more sensible immigration options to entrepreneurs.  Something I also can see happening eventually.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Wow - 11 pages of comment because a company sends a timely reminder to its clients!

I thought that the Elite visa is automatically renewed for one year when one reenters Thailand (rather like the 90 day reset for common extension holders). In normal years, Elite holders are presumably in and out of the country and wouldn't think about renewing every 12 months because there is no need.

However, many have been stuck in Thailand during the Covid emergency and it would be easy to forget to renew (since you haven't needed to previously). Hence the reminder.

They sent the reminder out as someone appears to have noticed there's a 'large number' of overstayers who have a TE visa entry stamp which has now expired.

They sent another email out today as well.

I think they're in a panic, but TE are not calling the shots here - immigration are and they're getting ready to kick out as many people as possible.

They're about to boot out and ban for a year potentially dozens or who knows maybe even 100's of people who were too stupid to notice they had an expiry date on their entry stamp.

In 2 days time (Jan 29th according to todays email)  they're going to begin forcefully remove them from the country.

This is what immigration thinks is appropriate at this time, they're going to hunt them down and throw them out.

The most important thing in Thailand is the paperwork - nothing else matters, people can die, be maimed in road accidents, starve, etc - so long as the paperwork is in order then everything's all OK....

Don't forget this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Lol, I got a new 5 year license, nearly 6 years in fact as I did it shortly after my birthday for the second time on the TE visa just a few months ago.

So you're quite wrong there.

and so did I. What a no - brainer that 1st post.

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Never needed border runs when I first got here, your passport went to the border or consulate while you remained in Thailand, sipping a cold one and with not a care in the World. 

All that went out the window under Thaksin's first administration. 

I did that once back in the 1990s and somehow I had flown to Brisbane and back without any exit or entry stamps and got my new "genuine" 12 month visa. all the while living in BKK.

It was the only time I ever did it and fortunately I never had to show my passport to anybody.

Never again.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Use to live in Bangkok.  Then Phuket for a bit, now near Bang Saray.  But been all over Thailand and spent a lot of time in various areas.

I used to live in BKK for about 3 years from 2001 then I told my wife to go and build a house on the land she owned in rural Kamphaeng Phet,, and we moved up here in 2004. I used to do my extensions at Suan Phlu while in BKK, not a brilliant place and parking was awful. 

When I retired in 2009 my first extension was at Mae Sot, nice place and people, but 180 km away up that bloody awful old road, then down to Nakhon Sawan for a few years, good parking and brilliant staff, then Kamphaeng Phet, only 65 km away, but it moved location 3 times and now I think it has finally found a home behind the city hall. Terrible parking but a great and farang friendly staff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I did that once back in the 1990s and somehow I had flown to Brisbane and back without any exit or entry stamps and got my new "genuine" 12 month visa. all the while living in BKK.

It was the only time I ever did it and fortunately I never had to show my passport to anybody.

Never again.

If you used the right service the visas were genuine and it was all ok with immigration and the higher ups.

There were some chancers though but mentioning them here would get me a ban...

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

If you used the right service the visas were genuine and it was all ok with immigration and the higher ups.

There were some chancers though but mentioning them here would get me a ban...

That was some 20 odd years and about 4 passports ago.