Thailand Elite members warned about overstaying

snoop1130

Just now, billd766 said:

That was some 20 odd years and about 4 passports ago.

Of course, all went out the window shortly after Thaksin took over in 2001 along with the clampdowns on entertainment venues which resulted in the 2am closings.

Nothing Thaksin introduced that was to our detriment was ever rescinded though.

The passports used to be sent off to the Honourary Thai Consulates in Hull, Brisbane or Houston and come back replete with the visa and the entry and exit stamps to show that you had actually left the country.

The Danish pub called The Wall on Silom used to be the place to go, or Vinnie the Visa on Sukhumvit.

Fun times.

3 hours ago, Dexxter said:

I think you might have eliminated most reasons someone would want to live in Thailand long term. The only other reason I can think of is having a long term Thai partner to whom you are not married. After a year I find sitting on a beach of frequenting bars gets rather boring.

I don't know , you seem to be OK ten emotions posted here in the last hour keeps you occupied ...???? ...MrsJ and myself previously lived in the UK . In 2007 we left, to spend the rest of our time above the ground here.  There was a topic on why come and live here not so long ago.  

After a year I find sitting on a beach or frequenting bars gets rather boring... I understand your opinion. We like to potter around in the garden, play golf 2-3 times a week, go away frequently, meet friends ... the sort of things older people do. Of course all of this is done in a warm climate ... unlike the UK 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You easily could when I first came to stay here in 2005. A visa run to the border every 90 days and sorted. A nice

pleasant day out.

A lot was easier in the past. For example arrive as hippie backpacker and just go on staying on an island with party every full Moon night; almost for ever, until one day that you realize you are on 23 years overstay, and for some important reason a trip back home to Britain is needed (true case, from shortly after the began to fine overstayers)...:whistling:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If you used the right service the visas were genuine and it was all ok with immigration and the higher ups.

There were some chancers though but mentioning them here would get me a ban...

That is not correct.

In Phuket there is a small immigration office in Patong that offered this service, which I had used several times before.

I put my passport in on the Friday and was told to come back Monday to collect it.

On the Monday, no passport because the man with the passports was "sick".

On the Tuesday, still no passport and was told that all the passports (84 of them) were now in Bangkok and that was where we had to go to to get them back.

Patong immigration gave me the money for a return flight and begged for us not to dob them in.

On Wednesday, I flew up and went to the immigration head office. We were told to come back on the next day when interviews were arranged.

Only two of us had turned up in Bangkok from Phuket and were interviewed. We told them that this was a service operated by the immigration officers and we did not know that it was illegal as we dealt with real immigration officers (the interviewers wanted us to make a confession that it was us that was at fault).

To cut a long story short, both of us were finger-printed, put in hand-cuffs and ankle chains and then put in IDC.

The European embassy's had a fit and demanded our release which happened a couple of days later.

A few months later I found out what happened. Immigration's courier would go down to Sadao with the passports and get Thai and Malaysian immigration to get the passports stamped. 84 passports at 2500Bt each is not bad for a week. Nice earner for Patong immigration.

Phuket Town immigration wanted a cut of this. When Patong immigration either refused, or gave too little, Phuket immigration contacted Bangkok immigration and gave them all the info needed to intercept the courier.

Myself and the other guy were collateral damage in a squabble between two immigration offices about money.

This happened in 2002 and not long after, signs went up at immigration offices, visa agents and airports that you had to physically do the visa run. Anything else was illegal.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/26/2021 at 12:32 PM, snoop1130 said:

Thankfully it doesn’t affect me but I was quite surprised they were warning members about overstay”, he said.

What? Why surprised? Everybody needs a valid permit to stay in all countries in the world or a citizenship. Why would thay be different for Elite Visa holders? Does he consider them, standing above the immigration law?

19 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

What? Why surprised? Everybody needs a valid permit to stay in all countries in the world or a citizenship. Why would thay be different for Elite Visa holders? Does he consider them, standing above the immigration law?

Surprised as they have to tell some people.

You must have the IQ of a toaster to overstay your visa extension, man it's really not possible if you have working brain. It can happen for some days that u mixed up dates but months....

He's just mocking their stupidity

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Lol, I got a new 5 year license, nearly 6 years in fact as I did it shortly after my birthday for the second time on the TE visa just a few months ago.

So you're quite wrong there.

I am not wrong about this look it up. I have a letter from Thailand Elite explaining this also I was in the DLT on the phone with Thailand Elite asking why are they only issuing me a 2 year license since I already have a 5 year license and am trying to renew.  They might issue you the 5 year license because they don't see a lot of those Elite visa's at certain DLT offices and are not familiar with the rules on that visa. You just got lucky.

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Same as anyone else who stays in Thailand on a visa of any kind - it's a 2000 Baht fine when you do go for a 90 day report.

I've forgot to do one of these before so I skipped it until the next one was due, 200 Baht fine.

Another time I jwent a bit late, perhaps 3 or 4 weeks after the date, so outside the officially allowed late period of 7 days and they let me off without a fine.

200 or 2000? You have done a typo. If your late for the 90 day, are you clssed as overstay?

15 minutes ago, Jalasko said:

Tourist industry desperately on its knees but still the unsubtle intimidating arrogance.

That depends upon which should your chip sits on...

... You have interpreted ‘unsubtle intimidating arrogance’... 

...I interpreted ‘people, make sure you are aware that amnesty ended on 1st November

Rather than expressing the e-mail in a ‘kiss-arsey’ manner the e-mail to Thai elite members was expressed in a clumsy manner that made no attempt at curtesy or platitude - it dealt with facts. That seems to have upset at few, while many others seems to just ‘dislike the Thai Elite Visa for no particular reason that its price or even the name ‘elite’... 

The simple message is: Don’t overstay, visa amnesty ended on the 1st Nov - thats it... really nothing more to see here !

• Like 2

21 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Also they raised the cost of the visa to 600K baht for the 5 year during a pandemic when it is hard times for a lot of people not happy with that!

Is that the usual Thai logic - if you have fewer customers then raise the price to compensate....?

I had the documents sorted out for that, then the virus came along and I couldn't get back to collect it. Now with a 20% increase there is no way I will consider getting it.

What was the 20% increase for? I am guessing it was because they didn't have enough people signing up for it so they increased the price.

Does anyone know a different reason for the increase?

20 hours ago, KiiGiam said:

Admittedly I am new to using this way to comment.  I have two questions if someone can indulge me.

1) How do you reply to someone else's post or clip from someone else's post when writing your own? 

2) Yes, like many others here, I would like to know what the advantage is of an elite visa over a regularly yearly extension?  I just don't see it either.  Thanks. 

2) Ask someone who wants to stay in Thailand  hassle free who is under 50, does not work in Thailand, and is not going to marry a Thai woman, or man. Ask a gay person with a Thai partner even if they are in a legal same sex marriage or union? It is a great program for those it works for.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Buying an elite visa is more like paying 1 million baht for a license without the hassle of sitting the test. 

We could also compare it to buying a Casio vs a Rolex. A Toyota vs a Lamborghini.

When you have the dosh, just enjoy your life! 

3 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

How do you over stay when the visa is for 5 or more years?

To become a regular here one must really understand the difference between "valid until" and "permitted to stay until". Unfortunately there are too many stupid people, or perhaps it is just inexperience.  I don't think these overstays are happening on purpose. For a fact many elite members never do 90 day reports or extend their stays in country they travel too much. Covid-19 changed that.

3 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

I had the documents sorted out for that, then the virus came along and I couldn't get back to collect it. Now with a 20% increase there is no way I will consider getting it.

What was the 20% increase for? I am guessing it was because they didn't have enough people signing up for it so they increased the price.

Does anyone know a different reason for the increase?

Actually if the cost was 500,000 for five years then that is 100,000/year.

So if you apply now you would not have used 10+ months so would have saved yourself 80,000+ .....,

If you look at it that way.,.,.,...

ps ... no I don’t work for them ....

4 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

How do you over stay when the visa is for 5 or more years?

Because your ‘permission of stay’ and ‘visa’ is a different thing. 

There are two Thai Elite Visa’s - the S.E. Visa and the P.E. visa (I don’t know that they each mean). 

S.E. Visa - You get a 5 year visa stamp, but you have to apply for an extension of stay ever 90 days. 

i.e. when entering you get a stamp for 90 days, after which you have to go to Chaeng Wattana and renew.

Maybe someone on with the P.E. Visa can clarify:  You get a 1 year Visa stamp each time (I think) and have a 1 year permission of entry, i.e. stamped in for 1 year, you have to apply for an extensions of stay after 1 year (at the same time get a new visa sticker)

A lot of the reasons above have to do with legacy rules and agreements. 

Both Visa’s are not resident visas (i.e. they are not Non-Immigrant Visas) and thus, the initial agreement with Immigration was not for long stays, but for hassle free frequent visitors. The initial idea and marketing was for those who wished hassle free visits in Thailand, fast track through airport, BMW 7 series to from Airport, easy golf booking etc and if those visitors wanted, an easy way to extend their stay (note: On the Thai Elite visa I only ever needed to stay longer than 90 days twice - I don’t think it was initially set up as a long stay visa). 

Poor marketing, financial issues, misjudgement of the market etc, restructuring of management etc etc saw the 5 year P.E. membership being offered. 

I think the Thai Privilege card had to do something to stay alive, there was also the risk of a class action lawsuit pending from existing members which would have had terrible optics (not some of the Thai Elite Members at that stage were not retirees from bolton, but CEO’s of major companies and some wealthy, powerful and connected people) - closure was not an option as that would involve paying out refunds - money the government didn’t want to spend. 

Thus, the program was ‘revamped’ and made the program far more accessible to more people. A good move and this has saved the company: 

The 500,000 baht 5 year visa was born and a couple of guises of the longer stay 20 year visa, with and without perks for 1 and 2 million baht. 

New agreements with Immigration were made for a 12 month entry stamp. It wasn’t possible to have a 5 year entry stamp as that would involve a change to Immigration law (no permission / extension of stay is longer than 12 months). 

Thus: It could be done, however, Immigration are their own powerful government body and it seems they won’t change this regulation. In fact, I get the impression that Immigration View the Elite visa as a circumnavigation of their own regulations and with a bit of a grudge rather than an open armed welcome. 

-----

Why the price increase to 600,000 baht in 2021 ??? I’ve no idea, that makes no business sense to me if they want a lot more people. 

A visa only option could be made for half that number (i.e. 300,000 baht / 60,000 baht per year) and it would see 4x the traffic (or more). Or even offer the visa on a yearly basis (60,000 baht per year) and see the applicants flood in. 

When people consider 60,000 baht against the cost of a yearly extensions, Retirement Visa, Marriage Visa (extensions), or Visa Runs to other countries etc... 60,000 baht starts to look very attractive. 

I wonder if Immigration has some control over what is and what isn’t allowed. 

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are two Thai Elite Visa’s - the S.E. Visa and the P.E. visa (I don’t know that they each mean).

SE = Special entry

PE = Privilege entry

SE is based on Tourist visa and thus limited to 90 days for every extension, PE visa is it's own kind of unique Visa (there's a ministerial regulation issued for it). 

It was issued under Section 17 of the immigration act and is more like a club membership: 

In certain special cases, the Minister, by the Cabinet approval, may permit any alien or any group of aliens to stay in the Kingdom under certain conditions, or may conditions, or may consider exemption from being conformity with this Act.

Here's the whole regulation: 

Announcement of the Ministry of Interior

On permission for certain types of aliens to stay in the Kingdom in a special case

Whereas it is expedient to allow an alien who has received a special membership card ( Thailand Privilege Card) to enter the Kingdom of Thailand in a special case

By virtue of Section 17 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 (1979), the Minister of Interior With the approval of the Council of Ministers on November 12, 2555, therefore issued the announcement as follows

Article 1  The alien who has received a special membership card ( Thailand Privilege Card) from the date of this announcement is effective to enter the Kingdom of Thailand in a special case. Under the conditions and are exempted, it is not necessary to comply with the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 in the case as set out in this notification.

Clause 2 The  person under Clause 1 shall have the right to receive a Privilege Entry Visa from the embassy or consulate abroad. Or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or from the Immigration Office Valid for five years unlimited times throughout the life of the membership card, with a visa fee waived.

Article 3  When the person under Article 1 enters the Kingdom The immigration officer shall have every permission to stay in the Kingdom for one year. Who traveled into the kingdom unlimited times

Article 4  permission to stay temporarily After the expiration of the period of permission under Article 3, the immigration competent official shall have the power to continue to stay for one year. By submitting an application according to the form and paying fees as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulation

Article 5 [ 1] This announcement shall come into force from the day following the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.  

Announced on 22nd February B.E.

Jarupong  Ruangsuwan

Minister of Interior

Maybe someone on with the P.E. Visa can clarify:  You get a 1 year Visa stamp each time (I think) and have a 1 year permission of entry, i.e. stamped in for 1 year, you have to apply for an extensions of stay after 1 year (at the same time get a new visa sticker)

No, you get 5 year visa but you have 1 year stamps, normally you never stay here for so long to even need an extension but well covid.

If you take the 20 year PE visa you get 4x20 year visas or well,  or more than that depending when exactly your passport expires etc.

I think the XO visa is similar, you get a 10 year visa but you still get 1 year stamps. There's prolly some conflicting law which forbids entry stamps over 1 year or something like that. Same as the law that forbids tourist visa category to be more than 90 days, and why they had to issue new regulations for the PE visa. 

• Thanks 1