Forum upgrade in progress! ×

U.S. Senate blocks constitutional challenge to Trump impeachment trial

webfact

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

Do you understand that the President has no Constitutional role in impeachment?

Do you not understand that Biden has a phone and could have told Nancy to back off? "Upsetting" 75 million American voters isn't a good way to begin a presidency, in my opinion.

The 2022 elections are going to be very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Sujo said:

Law and order, or would you prefer no trial.

Ask yourself this simple question. Is "upsetting" millions of Americans a good way to start a presidency, or not?

As I see it, the main reason to continue with the trial is to prevent him standing for POTUS again, and if they can't work out that even if he doesn't become POTUS again he can be a kingmaker to get someone else that has the same policies into power, IMO they must be a bit dim. IMO they must be really really scared of him ( or more likely of his base ) to go so far right now, when Biden is just starting out. The trial is going to completely occupy the Senate and the news cycle at a time that Biden is attempting to make his mark on American politics.

As usual, it's all going to be about Trump, which will make him happy, and will likely end in no conviction anyway. Biden, IMO, will be remembered as the president that was upstaged by an ex president, and will always looking over his shoulder at the millions of Trump's base out for revenge at the ballot box.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

From what I have seen, the use of impeachment ( and obviously trial ) are only for a sitting president. They probably never considered that an ex president would be tried.

Personally I'm all for it. Trump will likely be acquitted, which will make a mockery of it, it gives the defence an opportunity to expose the procedure as an attempt for revenge, rather than justice, and will sideline Biden at the precise time he is attempting to get his cabinet approved and make his mark as a president. By having a trial at this time he will always, IMO, be remembered as a president that was overshadowed by an ex president.

Indeed, Trump casts a large shadow, and he isn't going away any time soon, as CNN and the Democrats are doing all they can to keep him in the forefront of politics.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I am aware of that.

My point, which you chose to ignore, is "sitting". As I see it the procedure is to remove people that should not be in the position whatever it may be, but Trump has already been removed. To continue now is IMO for revenge, and more importantly to prevent him becoming president again, but as I already pointed out he could still be kingmaker, so somewhat pointless.

To my knowledge nobody has ever been tried after leaving office in the US.

The Democrats are somewhat confused IMO. On the one hand he currently has no social media access, but the trial is going to give Trump vast medias exposure, and is going to obliterate Biden in the news during the trial, just when he is trying to make his mark.

I have no idea what distinction you are trying to make, or maybe you're just confused. 

Again, impeachment for office holders AFTER they have left office has precedent, as well as a senate trial. 

In the case Mr. trump was impeached before he left office, and the trial for potential conviction will happen after.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

I'll speculate....a picture is worth a 1000 words.....

GettyImages-1230476983.jpg?resize=850%2C478

https://media.nbcdfw.com/2021/01/GettyImages-1230476983.jpg?resize=850%2C478

The problem with a photo like that is the fact that the "faithful" would reject it immediately (as I learned to my cost the other day) on one of two grounds..

The photo has been faked by mainstream media

or

These are Antifa agents-provocateurs.

This was from a 45 year old white Australian male who spends a lot of his time on NRA sponsored websites.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree. I watched about 4 hours of the demonstration, and from what I saw, the vast majority ( ?99.9% ) of the demonstrators did no more than walk around and then go home. A small minority gained access to the the building because the Capitol police had not done their job properly and prepared appropriately to a situation that was known about for days before- it was no secret that a demonstration was coming and doesn't take a genius to know that extremists were likely going to be in the crowd.

Had the police done their job and prevented the entry, none of the current attempt to convict Trump would be occurring.

99.9% just walked around then went home?  That means only one in a thousand took part in storming the Capitol building.  Crowd size estimates range from several thousand to ten thousand. https://theconversation.com/it-is-difficult-if-not-impossible-to-estimate-the-size-of-the-crowd-that-stormed-capitol-hill-152889  Using your estimate that would mean the Capitol police were overcome by several people, up to ten. 

Or perhaps you think the crowd size is underestimated.  The FBI is looking for 400 people who took part in the attack.https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/doj-identified-400-suspects-charged-135-capitol-riot/story?id=75497113   Do you think the crowd size was 400,000?

Obviously more than 0.1% of the protesters took part in the attack, at least 4% by the numbers above.  The remaining protestors did nothing to stop the violent and illegal assault.  These were not a bunch of innocent patriots.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

told you so guys, Trump is not going to get convicted ????

badge of honor, double impeachment, will mark his place in history ????

MAGA!!!

MAGA by letting a criminal off the hook?

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely even the Democrats can see that denying Trump a proper defence is likely to lead to demonstrations that would make the Capitol demonstration a "walk in the park"?

From some of the responses on this forum, I would have to say the answer to your question is "no."  They do not appear to be able to see beyond their noses.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Do you not understand that McConnell actually voiced support for this?

75 million American voters won't be upset.  Only a small minority that live in a bubble of "alternative" facts where the "truth isn't the truth". :cheesy:

McConnell is establishment to the core. I doubt he ever wanted Trump, or cares what happens to him now. Trump had to battle GOP members as well as the Democrats during his time. We were always being told that Mueller and Comey are Republican, as if it mattered.

We'll see how many voters are upset come the 2022 elections. IMO the Democrats have good reason to fear Trump's base at the ballot box.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1