Foreigners stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19 can now stay until end of March

Foreigners stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19 can now stay until end of March

visa.JPG.77d990306c3739ba7b6ea609cd98d88

The Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that foreigners who are still stranded in Thailand due to the COVID-19 situation can remain in the country until the end of March.

Anyone who had applied for a temporary visa extension due to COVID-19 were permitted to stay in Thailand until 29 January.

But according to a new order, signed by Immigration chief Sompong Chingduang, foreigners who apply for a so-called ‘COVID extension’ will be able to stay in Thailand until 30 March 2021.

The order will once again be welcomed by those people stuck in Thailand due to COVID-19 and need to or want to stay longer.

Anyone whose temporary extension was due to expire are advised to visit their local immigration office for a further extension. It will cost 1,900 baht.

Special thanks to Thai Visa Centre for the information.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-29

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that foreigners who are still stranded in Thailand due to the COVID-19 situation can remain in the country until the end of March.

That's not entirely correct. You can apply for covid extension until 30 March, so if you apply extension on March 30 and get 60 days you can stay until end of May.

12 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

But IF You are STUCK in Thailand now then Surely You'll still be STUCK Come the End of March.....No ??

That would be a person's choice. Not stuck is correct word now. The majority of people can travel home or elsewhere if they want to.

I would guess the 60 day extensions order will be extended again near the end of March.

11 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

But IF You are STUCK in Thailand now then Surely You'll still be STUCK Come the End of March.....No ??

Seriously, who is really "stuck" in Thailand? Other than a few Aussies trying to get onto repat flights I can't think of many other nationalities that have truly been "stuck".

50 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Seriously, who is really "stuck" in Thailand? Other than a few Aussies trying to get onto repat flights I can't think of many other nationalities that have truly been "stuck".

Who cares? I guess they don't want to see the country entirely devoid of foreigners after all.

48 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Take my situation for example. My passport country is UK. So you're right I am technically not 'stuck' in Thailand because it is possible for me to return to the UK. But I have nothing there. My home is in Malaysia and they still will not let me in. So I'm am extremely grateful for Thai immigration allowing me to wait it out here until I can return.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Who cares?

Nobody, but the capitalisation in his post seemed to be making out there are loads of people actually stuck, which is BS, rather than a few genuinely stuck. The Thais have been extremely generous IMO.

3 minutes ago, SteezyP said:

My home is in Malaysia and they still will not let me in.

That sucks and yes, as per my last sentence above, Kudos to the Thais.

Hello ubonjoe, sorry my english is not perfect and i have a little confusion reading the news. My tourist permit of stay get in mtt on counter K  will be expire on 28 feb. Now buy this new order i can go wich day i want on february and get new 60 days extension?

Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

Giving aways/selling your furniture, leaving friends/loved ones behind, buying a plain ticket, likely having to quarantine for 14 days, and having to find a new place to live in your home country (likely a yearly rent contract)... and then having to start over again when you come back to Thailand. That's being "stuck" with the best option being to get COVID extensions.

Obviously, very few are "stuck," as in "I desperately want to go back home."

But many are "stuck," as in "can't get a work/etc. visa because borders are closed."

17 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

May I apply this extension if my university ED expires? Because my country USA  has the most COVID cases. Thanks.

You can apply for a 60 day covid 19 extension up to the 30th of March at this time.

2 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Giving aways/selling your furniture, leaving friends/loved ones behind, buying a plain ticket, likely having to quarantine for 14 days, and having to find a new place to live in your home country (likely a yearly rent contract)... and then having to start over again when you come back to Thailand. That's being "stuck" with the best option being to get COVID extensions.

No, that's living in Thailand and not the people I was talking about.

2 hours ago, orchis said:

That's not entirely correct. You can apply for covid extension until 30 March, so if you apply extension on March 30 and get 60 days you can stay until end of May.

The article is very misleading. Based on the past COVID extensions, like orchis said, would applying on March 30 result in a 60-day COVID extension stamp, that would end 60 days later / May 29? @ubonjoe

7 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Maybe that is one reason why they are doing "COVID extension visas." It is very generous of them, and much appreciated. However, personally, I would much more like to be able to change to a B visa inside the country and start working...

What type of visa entry do you have now?

If a tourist or visa exempt entry you could apply for a 90 day non-b visa entry at immigration with the correct supporting documents.

3 minutes ago, ThLT said:

The article is very misleading. Based on the past COVID extensions, like orchis said, would applying on March 30 result in a 60-day COVID extension stamp, that would end 60 days later / May 29?

I would assume most people would read the article and get the rest of the info or the first post where I clarified things a bit.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

[...]

Reread the article. Both the title and text say "will be able to stay in Thailand until 30 March / end of March."

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The extension of the order for the extensions was approved yesterday the 28th. A day before the order was due to expire that is today.

Now you have until the March 30th to apply for them.

So if someone were to apply on March 30th, they would get a stamp of 60 days / allowed until May 29?

(Sorry if I'm asking for a precise answer—making important decisions based on this piece of information...)

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

My wife and I are citizens of different countries.  Neither can enter the others country, so we would be separated from each other indefinitely if we went "home".  Lots of people in similar situations.  We are very grateful that Thailand continues these extensions.

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

Nobody, but the capitalisation in his post seemed to be making out there are loads of people actually stuck, which is BS, rather than a few genuinely stuck. The Thais have been extremely generous IMO.

That sucks and yes, as per my last sentence above, Kudos to the Thais.

And we have been very generous in staying and helping the Thai economy and putting food in peoples mouths.

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

Let me try to explain to the ignorant, uninformed or just plain unsympathetic amongst you. There are probably many like myself who have a legitimate non o multiple entry marriage visa, that due to the present circumstances, are not able to utilize. I guess I could go back to the uk, with it’s horrendous covid problem, where 7 members of my family have had it with one death. I could leave my wife who has a 9 to 5 weekday job to look after my 6 year old son, while I spend 14 days in covid infested quarantine in the uk, hopefully not get it, then come back here for yet another 14 days quarantine, not to mention the cost of all this. If I had money to throw around like that then I’d probably have a normal marriage visa. My multiple entry is usually not a problem and totally legit but Like many in my position, it’s a matter of trips to immigration every 2 months. 

Seriously, some of you must be just a joy to know with your kind hearted understanding nature and support for your fellow countrymen in difficulty. 

Good news. My retirement extension ends on 23 march. Hopefully, I'll get it renewed, but if everything does go tits up, then I have seven days to sort it out. I must say, I'm seriously considering flying home, like I have nothing here really, it's all in my SO's name. As a disgruntled old guy I'm sure there's tons of stuff I can claim. The fact my SO here  has a ton of stuff means little, I guess. If she screws me over, so be it. But I doubt it, Farangs, especially those with a guaranteed income, are not exactly two a penny in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Bell1234 said:

And we have been very generous in staying and helping the Thai economy and putting food in peoples mouths.

Very generous in staying and helping the Thai economy... From which orifice did you pull that one out of? Hardly helping the Thai economy... purchasing food and paying rent like EVERY Thai / Farang in the country.

A tiny drop in the ocean, but it gives some people this 'god' like complex where they think they're helping the poor little Thai folk. Nothing is more irritating than reading garbage like that.

If your putting food in peoples mouths, I'd recommend that you stop - you might get charged with assault.

Ubonjoe...

The post headline and text are very confusing for many people. 

The last deadline to apply for the covid extension was 29th January...right?

So anyone who had gone along and paid their B1900 and got their extension by this date would be approved until the end of March (or thereabouts).

So what's new about this announcement ?

It only says they may stay "until the end of March"..nothing about extending beyond that ?

You are alluding to new further extensions  being possible near the end of this new "deadline"?

10 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

2 things - for some people, Thailand is still much safer than their homeland. They have means to stay. Flights keep getting cancelled so it saves them from buying ticket to get a voucher and no flight... and it's a nice little earner for Immigration as well. Win-Win, sort of. But as police officers are deeply in red... extension fees could be raised in the future.

Archived